Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tethering mobile phone with laptop.

I've got an Iphone4 on 3 network with unlimited internet use, so in the bumph it says i could feasably use around 1000Gb a month if my phone was constantly hooked up to the web. but i've looked into tethering the phone to laptop for when we go out and about camping etc. (before anyone says anything i know camping should be about countryside and no IT stuff but my kids are lost to the techy stuff forever) anyway i've found out how to create a personal hotspot with my phone for my laptop to use as it's wi-fi connection. then i read my network providers site and find that i'm not allowed to do this regarldless of how much data i use unless i pay a seperate data allowance. Here's my query, how do they know what is using the data i.e phone or laptop. also does a laptop use more data than a phone if it's only going through the same device.

For those that have no idea what any of this means, you're like me! for those that do and have an opinion, please post. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    No idea about the data charges you might get, but I do this a lot with my Sony Ericsson Xperia and my laptop, and I haven't ever been charged extra doing this. I have unlimited data with T-Mobile
  • Options
    You shouldn't get caught as long as you don't take the mick out of what you do....just make sure you turn PC specific functions off e.g. windows updates, virus updates etc.

The only way they can really tell that you are using a PC is by looking at what traffic you are generating - simple web browsing won't set off alarm bells.
  • Options
    Normally you need to sign up for the service before your phone will allow you to set up the hotspot, either way gour battery wouldn't last very long unless you are taking a generator with you... :)
  • Options
    Where does it say that? I've got unlimited data usage with 3 and have been tethering my phone to my PC for ages with no problems. I looked on the 3 site to see if I was allowed, couldnt find anything that said I wasn't and so I went ahead.
  • Options
    Normally you need to sign up for the service before your phone will allow you to set up the hotspot, either way gour battery wouldn't last very long unless you are taking a generator with you... :)
    Your phone battery will charge from the USB connection to the laptop. Your laptop battery is a different matter.
  • Options
    Your phone battery will charge from the USB connection to the laptop. Your laptop battery is a different matter.
    i assumed wireless tethering, not sure you can do wired tethering although you could as you say plug it into the laptop too although it varies what kind of charge you would get from an on battery laptop
  • Options
    Hi razil, the situation was we've just moved home and hadn't got round to sorting out cable, phone, internet etc. so i looked up tethering on internet. using my wife's iphone4 i turned on the phones hotspot and was able to connect to the internet using it as a router. but according to the data plan that she has, tethering is an additional cost.
  • Options
    As i have just understood it is detectable and billed diffrerently/different allowances to normal data use

Can you get/use a bt openzone wifi account?