Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Montenegro - anyone been?

Any tips/advice much appreciated - planning a holiday there for later this year (unless you all tell me not to go)

Thanks
RLR

Comments

• Options
    Not been there, although I know and love the Balkans generally. But the guys who run my local restaurant are from there so if you don't get much from others, I'll ask them. I believe it is basically fabulous clear sea water (as in Croatia) heart stopping mountain scenery, proud and very hospitable people. But if you are single and fancy yourself with the local talent, be very careful, you might end up getting shot!
  • Options
    Not been there, although I know and love the Balkans generally. But the guys who run my local restaurant are from there so if you don't get much from others, I'll ask them. I believe it is basically fabulous clear sea water (as in Croatia) heart stopping mountain scenery, proud and very hospitable people. But if you are single and fancy yourself with the local talent, be very careful, you might end up getting shot!
    Mrs Redlane will be there to keep an eye on me, rest assured (like I would have stood a chance otherwise). Thanks Prague
  • Options
    We went there a couple of years ago. What Prague Addick says is 100% correct. For me, the best scenery is around Kotor. Imagine scenery similar to Norwegian fjords, but with temperatures of 30 degrees centigrade. The coastline is very mountainous, so beaches are small and VERY crowded. Prices a couple of years ago were reasonable.

• Options
    I went last year, to Herceg Novi and Kotor. Had a great time, as Prague and Vienna said, beautiful scenery, huge mountains coming straight out of the sea. Beaches around Herceg Novi weren't sandy but the sea was incredibly clear and the temperature in late August was mid 30s! Thoroughly recommend a boat trip out into the bay, and beers were very cheap as well, which is always a bonus! Lots of Russians in Herceg Novi, and lots of Americans in Kotor, never ventured further down the coast but did Dubrovnik as a day trip, which was absolutely stunning, even if it was unbarably hot when we visited. Also, although we didn't head inland there was lots of outdoorsy stuff like off roading and river rapids, which did look fun, but inaccessible without a car. All in all I'd recommend it!
  • Options
    My badly sunburnt 30 factored son is there triatholon training at the mo. Says he's bored with ordering pizza, the only recognisable food on the menu and also with not knowing what he's putting on his toast. Can't see him making it as a travel writer!
  • Options
    Went in 2008 to Budva. It was one of the best short breaks I have ever made. Costs where not as bad as I thought, everyone wants Euros. In-fact if you go to a cash point they only give out euros. The seafood was out of this world and the locals where very friendly. Went in the low season (end of September) to catch the last of the Sun. Will be going again.
  • Options
    Just been to Kotor and Budva. Beautiful places, beaches reasonable in Budva. Food ok and prices (compared to OZ) are excellent.
  • Options
    Stayed in Kotor last year.

Beautiful scenery and clear waters and stunning (if sometimes stressfull) mountain drives.
    Old town feel to everywhere and not many tourist specific attractions and very much trying to gear itself up for tourism.

Ostrog monastry worth a visit. If you go drive the motorway route not the mountain route as it part of the road is still being built and so is basically off road and not sign posted.

Food is very basic. Basically variations of meat and cheese and salad and meat is always 'well done'. The salad (can't remember name) is very tasty.

Friendly, quite quiet people.
  • Options
    Went there with England last year but only had a day in Podgorica. Decent enough place, tiny town but with a decent centre of bars etc.
    Few mates stayed in Budva and had a great time - meant to be an up and coming party place. 'The Ibiza of the Adriatic'.

We had 4 days in Dubrovnik which was stunning and I would highly recommend. The 7hr coach ride from there to Podgorica was stunning, if a little scary at times. Those mountians are huge and tackling them on a coach is not for the faint hearted.
  • Options
    Went to budva and kotor and durmitoor national park. National park was amazing. Budva and kotor were lovely. Kotor, no word of exaggeration, had the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life, it was ridiculous!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to budva and kotor and durmitoor national park. National park was amazing. Budva and kotor were lovely. Kotor, no word of exaggeration, had the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life, it was ridiculous!
    Could they have been Russians on holiday, or were they definitely locals?

• Options
    Back in 1988 me and a couple of mates drove all the way down the 'old' Yugoslav coast from the border with Italy right down into Greece (part of a drive that took 5 months around Europe), the scenery along the Montenegran coast is superb...one word of warning though, the roads can be very dangerous, especially when it rains....it's like driving on ice, no grip whatsoever.
  • Options
    Went there with England last year but only had a day in Podgorica. Decent enough place, tiny town but with a decent centre of bars etc.
    Few mates stayed in Budva and had a great time - meant to be an up and coming party place. 'The Ibiza of the Adriatic'.

We had 4 days in Dubrovnik which was stunning and I would highly recommend. The 7hr coach ride from there to Podgorica was stunning, if a little scary at times. Those mountians are huge and tackling them on a coach is not for the faint hearted.
    Podgorica used to be called Titograd (Yugoslav days)....got plenty of hassle from the police there, but apart from that a nice enough place.