Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Charlton hire a new Cook....

2»

Comments

• Options
    I suspect we won't know about trialists until A.Trialist appears on the Welling match thread
  • Options
    Well we were said to be keen on a shortish ginger left winger who'd impressed in the third division. This one's cheaper than Quinn though.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Remember, wolves (who you'd expect to do very well this year) have signed nouble as a squad player. If cook is a squad player for us also, then it seems like a decent like for like signing to me. Plus, Powell has already seen him, had him scouted and formulated game plans against him so he's done his homework.
  • Options
    I'd rather us play a lot of 4-5-1 this season, but either the way the team needs a lot more energy to bring us up onto the opposition. Rather than like last season where we relied on our quality but surrendered territory due to our lack of presence and at times energy.
  • Options
    sorry, but totally underwelmed if you ask me !1 Doesn't strike me as someone who will get you 15/20 goals a season & help get you promoted. When Brighton got promoted out of League 1they went and bought Mackail Smith, Norwich bought Morrison from Millwall & Southampton bought Lambert.
    Does it matter that he's not? Was anyone here seriously expecting promotion next season, even before the whole shenanigans of the last couple of weeks? If he's good enough to provide a few goals, plenty of assists, doesn't give the ball away in stupid places, and is an improvement on what we've already got, that's fine by me.
  • Options
    Shenanigans ? I thought it was a kerfufle ?
  • Options
    Sounds like the, apparently, poor man's Theo Walcott. Hope he does well!
  • Options
    I look forward to seeing him play V Welling. A good signing.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sorry, but totally underwelmed if you ask me !1 Doesn't strike me as someone who will get you 15/20 goals a season & help get you promoted. When Brighton got promoted out of League 1they went and bought Mackail Smith, Norwich bought Morrison from Millwall & Southampton bought Lambert.
    But that won't be the only players they bought that summer will it ? This seems like a development signing, maybe our 15/20 goal a season player is still to come.
    maybe our 15/20 goal a season player is already at the club ;)
    like the idea of a quick, energetic two footed attacker coming of the bench...
  • Options
    When I saw the headline on the OS I thought we'd signed Lee Cook......now that would be underwhelming. Good luck to the lad, he sounds as if he is hungry, thats what we need at the football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As others have said was very good for Carlisle against us up there, looks like one for the future.

Think I stopped taking any notice of what Golfie said a while ago.
  • Options
    Can I just be 'whelmed'?
  • Options
    Why ever not Wickford? Just moderately whelmed like when gaining a point at Tranmere.
  • Options
    Jordan Cook ‏@cookz10
    On a high still after signing for Charlton today... Can't wait for the first game and to get stuck in throughout the season!! #CAFC
  • Options
    thats the sort of thing i like to hear
  • Options
    As others have said was very good for Carlisle against us up there, looks like one for the future.

Think I stopped taking any notice of what Golfie said a while ago.
    i cant remember anyone who played that day

• Options
    Seems to me that these two signings confirm our strategy for future growth, cherry pick good youngsters with potential and the capability to to grow in a spirited side alongside the best lads coming out of our Academy. No big time Charlies, no silly spending, and a Manager and Coaching team who are moulding a young team with real versatility in the squad. Welling looks like being very interesting, bring it on.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sunderland FM researcher on Cook:
    If we'd given him a chance last season when we had nothing to play for he might have still been here :-(

He's a decent player, plays on either wing or off the striker. He didnt often whip many crosses in for the reserves though, likes to play a bit in the final third and dribble/ pass his way into the box or pull defenders out of position so the full back can get to the byline. Fairly good finisher, strong dribbler though not in a flashy sort of way, quite quick, uses both feet, think he'll do well.

If I had to be critical I would say he's the kind of reliable versatile chap who a manager's going to look at and put on the bench to fill in various positions as and when, he really needs to make one position his own to have a long stay at Championship level. I'm thinking of Martyn Waghorn who was billed as a winger/striker who is still bouncing around on loan and not really making the impact he should be.

From the sounds of it could be a different option on the left and could create room for Wiggins to overlap.
  • Options
    cheers scoham for getting both views from your FM associates
  • Options
    It sounds as if he's the Sunderland equivilant of Lawrie Wilson, Danny Green and Danny Haynes. A promising youngster who couldn't quite break into a premier league side so has to drop down the leagues to develop. Let's hope he develops with us.