Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reid's role in the run in

2»

Comments

• Options
    Puerto Banus is a great night out though
  • Options
    Still, he likes a pint.
  • Options
    Reid is obviously a high-class player in terms of skill but is not the man for the job at the moment.

If we are going to get out of this there is not going to be a lot of subtlety involved, its going to be all about aggression, pace and strength - not three qualities that a ball player like Reid has.

I think for the rest of the season Pards will stick with 4-4-2 and will even play Lisbie up with Baby Bent rather than tinkering with a 4-4-1-1.

Its way too late in the game to be pissing about changing our formation, let's keep it nice and simple with two up, two attacking wide men, two midfield holders and a steady back four.
  • Options
    Ormiston, you're probably right. What about a tactical change in say the second half. He could be an impact player with fresh legs and his ability on the ball?
  • Options
    Yeah, if we go behind he could be useful in unlocking a deep lying defence with his clever passing but I just get the sense that Pards wants to keep it simple and will place a high premium on pace, strength and fitness.
    This is really the crossroads for Reid's career, if he does not make it with us then he is out of the Premiership for good so if I were him I would be working my nuts off to become the best player I possibly could and that would not include breaking curfews and staying out till 5am.
    This is not the 1980's anymore, you just can't afford to behave like that off the pitch and still expect to compete at the level you need to in the modern game. The imports, especially the guys of African origin like Viera, Essien, Makelele and Sissoko, have increased the pace of the game enormously and combine great skill with awesome pace and power, you just can't compete with these guys unless you are 100% fit.
  • Options
    sell him in the summer & bring Claus back
  • Options
    Don't talk rubbish and give the most gifted player we've had this season a chance.Christ you aint got a clue Oakster
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Reid is obviously a high-class player in terms of skill but is not the man for the job at the moment.

If we are going to get out of this there is not going to be a lot of subtlety involved, its going to be all about aggression, pace and strength - not three qualities that a ball player like Reid has.

I think for the rest of the season Pards will stick with 4-4-2 and will even play Lisbie up with Baby Bent rather than tinkering with a 4-4-1-1.

Its way too late in the game to be pissing about changing our formation, let's keep it nice and simple with two up, two attacking wide men, two midfield holders and a steady back four.

I think Ormiston has called it just about spot on.

No one doubts Reid's ability, or the way he is capable of turning a game. But he is best suited centrally in a 4-5-1, which i cannot see Pardew using now unless things don't work out in the next couple of games, or he wants to target something in a specific game. In a 4-4-2, he is now in direct competition with Thomas, and if he keeps up Saturday's form then Reid will not get a look in.

To say Reid will not feature is folly, an injury to Thomas, one of the central pairing or a striker may change the shape and allow a chance, but the main problem Reid has is we have seen that when he returns from injury, he needs more than others a couple of games to get back to match fitness, and we simply do not have those games.

But to say he has no future with us would be premature and foolish because he definately has something to offer.
  • Options
    What about a flat 442(433) I think he could do well with that. Pardew tends to play a more out and out 442 admittedly, but away from home and with inuries to strikers/wingers, I can see him coming back. We shall see of course..
  • Options
    I think when he is fit again Pards has a bit of a selection headache. I reckon he rates Reid, i rate Reid, and i am thinking he could be a dangerous bench player along with rommers to come on with half hour to play and really put ther wind up any oppo really. I am impressed by everything pards, i no i am going off the beaten track here but its so refreshing. Anyway back to Reidy, any doubters out there should remember back to the dark days of this season and remember how good he was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I think when he is fit again Pards has a bit of a selection headache.

It's a decent problem to have though. Earlier in the season, Reid was crucial to whether we had a chance in games. Now he isn't. It give Pard's positive alternatives.
  • Options
    After Pompey Pards was talkin of £30 mill of players to come back.He was including Reidy in there so I don't think he will disgard him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Don't talk rubbish and give the most gifted player we've had this season a chance.Christ you aint got a clue Oakster[/quote]

he's a joke - injured 90% of the time

Jensen was 10x the player he is

sell sell sell
  • Options
    Ackworth? lol!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]If we stay up I reckon Pards will ditch him.

Not a Charlton player nor a Pards type player in my opinion.

Needs to lose at least a stone in the summer.

Right I'm getting a bit sick of this weight nonsense. I like a joke as well as anyone but as this wasn't intended as such I'll add my two peneth.

His last game at home before he got injured, if my memory serves, he played out of his skin & won Man of the Match. Myself & my best friend had the honour of presenting him with his bottle of shampoo. I stood extremely close to him (a bit too close so my best mate says) & that geezer is not a stone overweight!!!!

I've seen more fat on a butcher's apron & if he's overweight then I better get down to that fat camp pronto

Injury prone he maybe, a squad player he most definately is & a uninjured Charlton squad player I would rather he be.

Rant over!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Don't talk rubbish and give the most gifted player we've had this season a chance.Christ you aint got a clue Oakster

he's a joke - injured 90% of the time

Jensen was 10x the player he is

sell sell sell

your having a larf! Jenson is pelt, injured just as much as reid this season! I know who i would rather have in my team!
  • Options
    Get in there KBS - I agree. I stand by my statement that he needs several matches to be of decent value to the team, but remains class non-the-less.
  • Options
    Fair enough.

You stood next to him after a day on the sauce, I stand corrected.

I want it to work I really do, if only because we wouldnt get half back for what we paid for him, but then again thats not his fault.

But all this stuff about him being our best midfielder is laughable, although he was playing alongside Hughes and Faye at the time so I suppose it may cloud ones judgement.

IF, we stay up, I would hope that Pards would look at far better options than someone who is only fit enough to play a third of the games.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you are implying I'd had a few then yeah I'd had two pints of watered down John Smith's in the North Upper bar. Hardly enough to make me think a fat bloke was thin, but maybe thats all it takes for you to get beer googles ;-)

I never mentioned he was our best midfielder but stated he was a valuable squad player.

If we stay up, far better options may still not want to come to little old Charlton, even under Pardew. And who knows, if he's given a decent time to recover from said injuries then he may at last stay fit. As I believe he was brought back too soon from his previous injury.
  • Options
    OK OK I cant be arsed.

I think he is fat/unfit you dont.

Lets not fall out eh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am totally with you little sis, he aint fat, just a funny bigger style build. He aint our best midfielder, but i dont no who said that on this thread! And to say the Claun is better 10 fold thats laughable imo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]OK OK I cant be arsed.

I think he is fat/unfit you dont.

Lets not fall out eh.

wasn't falling out Southend (did you not spot the wink) just took umbrage that you thought I'd get sauced after a couple of The Valleys finest watered down ale ;-)
  • Options
    Northstand Steve said:

"After Pompey Pards was talkin of £30 mill of players to come back.He was including Reidy in there so I don't think he will disgard him."

Subsequent to that game he made the comment that he rated Baby Bent at the same price as Shevchenko - i.e. £30m!!
  • Options
    Sorry, judging people by my own standards.

Every time ive been corporate its been all over by ko, but we usually meet at 11 and get on the champers before we've won :)
  • Options
    I wanted to stay sober to be on my best...........................wish I hadn't bothered now as it poured down with rain & ruined my hair so I looked like a bag of spanners anyhoo!!!!!
  • Options
    to be honest Reidy is fine by me

i like players with a bit of extra class & he obviously has it

i do think we have seen him through rose tinted specs as he stood out, when played against genuine crap like Mr Faye

i hope he plays a pivotal role in the run-in & we should keep him for next season - as he has the potential when finally fully fit to form a partnership with Song (if we can somehow sign Song permanently)

but he is still not even remotely in my book close to Mr Claus Jensen at his best
  • Options
    Claus WAS one hell of a player, better at his best than anything Reid has shown to date, but is probably past his best and injury prone.

Reid CAN BE one hell of a player but shows it rarely because a) he is injury prone and b) he lacks fitness relative to the other athletes he is in competition with.

However at 24 he still has time to improve his self discipline, get fit and fulfil his undoubted potential. Hopefully his best years will be spent with us.
  • Options
    Now that's better no more arguing we all love each other and Charlton.Oakster i'm sorry i said you talked rubbish you are a top geezer imho.

P.S. Claus was class and Reidy is class
  • Options
    You lot are a bit insensitive. I thought you knew Large Addick's true identity.