Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For March 51

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hi March.
    I was always a bit wary of drinking in the Harrow or the Abbey Arms back in the day, due to the large traveller contingent!!!
    Funnily enough, for a couple of years in the early 80's I lived just a few doors along from the Harrow Inn.

That Yellins site has been a goldmine for me, not just for the transport but also for the snapshots of Abbey Wood, Plumstead, Woolwich etc as I remember it as a boy in the 50s and 60's.

I don't remember the horse drawn utilities though; I have a few years on you, mate ;-)

I do remember the Corona and the Mackintosh's soft drink lorries not to mention the Coalman; the Dustman; the Baker; the Milkman; the Faggot seller; the Shrimp and Winkle man; the rag and bone man and all the other services that used to come to your door back in the day (including the rent man).
  • Options
    @Big_Rob

Spooky....

I saw one of these buses parked in the next street yesterday. Strange as I live in Horsham, West Sussex! Could'nt believe it and just wanted to hop on board. Turns out it was hired for a wedding and the driver must have been killing time.
  • Options
    Very interesting thread.
    No need to panic about a war between the tram fanatics and their heavy-rail cousins (The Battle of the Corned-Beef Sandwiches). Indeed, there is a growing phenomenon known as tram-trains (for those interested, where a regional train swerves off the main line at the last minute and joins the city street tram network) and everybody's happy.
    No, the sworn enemy of the tram is the diesel bus, so while the RT and RM pictures are wonderfully nostalgic, to the tram ninja they are also dangerously provocative ....