Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bad Come Good

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
Not saying Green was bad last season because I thought he did ok, but can we think of players who started off badly but become good players for their clubs?
If I can remember rightly Mark Azilwood was crap at first but turned out a good player, Henry's first season at arsenal wasn't too good either, any more?

Comments

• Options
    Peter Shaw
  • Options
    Luke Young. Was dreadful for two seasons and then really came good.

Danny Murphy. Hardly did a thing for his first season, had a fantastic two months, didn't get picked for England, back to rubbish.
  • Options
    Steve Mackenzie
  • Options
    Jason Euell had some poor games in his first few matches for us. I remember thinking at the time that he wasn't good enough to wear white boots.
  • Options
    I think one player, who subsequently went on to be a firm favorite, was Stuart (Sweaty) Balmer- who if I recall had a nightmare start, (was it 2 own goals very early on? ).
  • Options
    John Robinson may fit this category.
  • Options
    Yep agree on John Robinson
  • Options
    Bob Bolder started awfully, dropped a right clanger at Man City but came back after Johns was suspended and never looked back for about eight seasons.
  • Options
    Peter Shaw
    This.
  • Options
    Mark Aizlewood
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weirdly, I'd add Carson to this even though he was only on loan, that Wet Spam game he was awful, but he went on to be one of our best players
  • Options
    Carl Leaburn. After that notorious long non-scoring period he became a very effective centre forward, regularly scoring 15 or so goals a season and making countless more.
  • Options
    I agree about Johnny Robinson, I recall it was only after Les Reed came in (1995) that he became a fan favourite.

• Options
    Deon Burton
  • Options
    Carl Leaburn. After that notorious long non-scoring period he became a very effective centre forward, regularly scoring 15 or so goals a season and making countless more.
    Regulary scoring 15 or more . Really ?
  • Options
    Kim grant started scoring then buggered of to luton
  • Options
    Chris Solly? People were writing him off before last season
  • Options
    Wiggins for me, I though he was pony at the beginning of the season, misplaced passes, giving the ball away, sloppy tackles, but then it all came good.
  • Options
    He's having a cracking Tour de France too!
  • Options
    Wiggins for me, I though he was pony at the beginning of the season, misplaced passes, giving the ball away, sloppy tackles, but then it all came good.

Really? He had an OK first half v Bournemouth when he was boo'ed by his old fans. Made an error or two but grew into the game. Don't remember him having a mediocre game after that other than when he played on the wrong side. He was never "pony" IHMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played over 350 games (inc subs) and scored 53 goals (league), made double figures 91/92 and 93/94, though I can't ever remember him being prolific (read this on wikipedia...if you can believe that), it did state on there that Mendonca thought he was the best strike partner he had at CAFC.
  • Options

Really? He had an OK first half v Bournemouth when he was boo'ed by his old fans. Made an error or two but grew into the game. Don't remember him having a mediocre game after that other than when he played on the wrong side. He was never "pony" IHMO
    I never remotely got this about Wiggins either. I thought he was one of our best players right from the start of the season.

Bad come good for me would be Aizlewood and John Robinson.
  • Options
    Mark Aizlewood a brilliant example- almost looked like he was a different player. Jon Robinson looked pretty ordinary at first too.
  • Options
    What up flipping it round. Good - turned bad.

Martin Pringle would get that one.
  • Options
    Bad come good surely doesn't apply to somebody who had a couple of (relatively) poor games at the start of their Charlton career, and then was brilliant for the rest of the season like Wiggins!

Looking at the POTY listings, I'd forgotten that Andy Petterson won POTY in 1997, he certainly had a poor start to his Charlton career
  • Options

Looking at the POTY listings, I'd forgotten that Andy Petterson won POTY in 1997, he certainly had a poor start to his Charlton career
    And a bad end, how the guy managed to play in the EPL with us, i wouldve loved to have seen his saves to shots ratio
  • Options
    Yep - still insist Petersons 'Banks esque' save versus Palace is the best I have ever seen at The Valley.
  • Options
    OK my memory was a little at fault but the point is that Leaburn eventually came to be a decent front man, who not only scored but contributed with many assists and those legendary throw-ins. He was top scorer three times for us in the 6 seasons from 1991/92 to 1996/97 and I'm sure that players such as Nelson and Grant as well as Mendonca benefited considerably from his presence in the side. His goal scoring record during that period (all comps) was:

1990/91 1
    1991/92 14
    1992/93 6
    1993/94 16
    1994/95 3
    1995/96 10
    1996/97 9
  • Options
    Young is a good shout.

I think Hamer was the weakest link for a while but got better by the game. Balmier came back from a shaky start.
  • Options
    Mike Flanaagan never looked like a footballer when he first came into the side.