Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

O'Driscoll Gets the Forest Job

So no Hoddle, McCarthy, Curbishley or Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. Sean the quiet man gets the job of putting out the Forest fires . O'Driscoll was sacked by Doncaster recently as they slid down the table. He has a reputation as a developer of young and underutilised talent, more a coach than a rabble rousing man manager. This suggets that the new owners are looking for internal growth rather than splashing lots of cash on new players. Forest have sold a lot of decent players over the past few months. I am looking forward to us taking three points from them in a few weeks time.

Comments

• He hadn't managed 1 game at Crawley. It's disgraceful to be honest, it shouldn't be allowed to just hop between jobs.
  • Not really an icon though.
  • My brother was convinced 'King Billy' would be back! He's going to be dissapointed.
  • Strange choice
  • He's going to have to move quickly in the Transfer Market though, they only have 3 defenders!
  • Good manager though, plenty on here were calling for him post Pardew and post Parky. Would have been happier seeing them appoint a "name" a-la Sven at Leicester. He knows the division so has got a good chance of buying sensibly and his teams play good football.
  • Good manager though, plenty on here were calling for him post Pardew and post Parky. Would have been happier seeing them appoint a "name" a-la Sven at Leicester. He knows the division so has got a good chance of buying sensibly and his teams play good football.

Good post. He could turn out to be a very shrewd appointment. Donny were a good side for a few seasons under his management. Forest,as a bigger club, will give him more scope to both sign and to retain players. Let's hope the new owners have some patience.
  • More a coach than a rabble rousing manager? He assembled two very good sides on a modest budget, not quite sure how that's not managing. Donny were the best side I saw at the Valley, there movement was outstanding. When Billy Sharpe got injured their form dived, and was utterly dire. It's tough to keep the ball rolling on a small budget, but he did that for quite a few seasons making some good money on his players, shame that after he left they wasted their money on ex-prem dross.
  • ColinTat said:

More a coach than a rabble rousing manager? He assembled two very good sides on a modest budget, not quite sure how that's not managing. Donny were the best side I saw at the Valley, there movement was outstanding. When Billy Sharpe got injured their form dived, and was utterly dire. It's tough to keep the ball rolling on a small budget, but he did that for quite a few seasons making some good money on his players, shame that after he left they wasted their money on ex-prem dross.

You appear to be misunderstanding or misinterpreting my post. I say that he is a great developer of talent, more a thinker/tactician than a shouting and bullying type. I am surprised that the new and supposedly mega rich Forest patrons have gone for a manager of his type rather than for a more up front individual who would be more used to signing and regimenting established players rather than going for internal development with very good but less ostentatious signings.
  • He was the Forest coach before he left for Crawley in May. Apparently he was the catalyst for their survival, getting them to play decent football, as before that, Cotterill had 'em hoofing it Megson style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stefco said:

He was the Forest coach before he left for Crawley in May. Apparently he was the catalyst for their survival, getting them to play decent football, as before that, Cotterill had 'em hoofing it Megson style.

Thanks for that .. so Cotterill was prefered to him and now O'D gets the job

• Stefco said:

He was the Forest coach before he left for Crawley in May. Apparently he was the catalyst for their survival, getting them to play decent football, as before that, Cotterill had 'em hoofing it Megson style.

He will play the sort football their fans and new owners will want to see..

Also knows the league well ofcourse.

• Let's hope it's the wrong decision. Leaves less competition for us.
  • Thought Pearce would get the job.
  • As ohers have said he does get his sides to play decent football. I remember that match at the Valley when Donny beat us, a Tuesday night I think it was. I was very impressed with them that night. Bit harsh on Crawley but I imagine there was a decent compensation package agreed.
  • His Doncaster side gave us a footballing lesson at the valley a few seasons back, (think it was a tuesday night) if he can re-create that with a bit of money behind him he could do well
  • O'Driscoll Gets the Forest Job

Big change from rugby
  • Mike said:

He hadn't managed 1 game at Crawley. It's disgraceful to be honest, it shouldn't be allowed to just hop between jobs.

I dont see why not, Crawley wouldve had to give them permission to talk and they wouldve been paid compensation.
  • O'Driscoll Gets the Forest Job
    Big change from rugby

Versatile family are the O'Ds
  • Mike said:

He hadn't managed 1 game at Crawley. It's disgraceful to be honest, it shouldn't be allowed to just hop between jobs.

I dont see why not, Crawley wouldve had to give them permission to talk and they wouldve been paid compensation.
    rumor among Crawley fans was that he never actually got round to signing a contract
  • Sponsored links:

• If he did not sign a contract why would Forest have agreed to pay compensation
  • no idea , just heard that the rumor on the Crawley blogs was that

like I say it was a rumor