Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

recommend a pub in crawley/horsham area.

playing golf at cottesmore next weekend and rather than spend saturday evening in the clubhouse, am looking for a decent pub nearby.
any recommendations?

Comments

• In that area the country pubs of Newdigate and Rusper are not far away, better than the Crawley option IMHO. Or head the other way into Horsham. C.Walsh's Lovechild, Creepy Addick and Dazzler21 are the people to ask.
  • I'm with March - without wishing to offend those who live closer to Creepy Crawley than I, I would recommend hitting Copthorne or Horsham.

Copthorne (about a 10 minute drive):
    http://www.hedgehogpub.co.uk/
    http://www.cherrytreecopthorne.co.uk/

My local is very nice, caters for tourists/ air crew and is a very old building - 1600s or something. About a 15 minute drive from the golf course you're at:

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/yeoldesixbellshorley/

Horsham is nearer...

http://www.horshampub.co.uk/

If it HAS to be Crawley, Club Med, Rat & Parrot and The Punch Bowl are the obvious big night out places. Although I would go to the hotel on the old high street if I HAD to go to Crawley. I think it's called Octopus or something now, part of a Ramada. Maybe one of the Crawley locals knows of a nicer establishment! I'm all ears if so!!
  • edited July 2012
    Oh, and JiMMy85 spends a lot of time in pubs down that way too!
  • The Six Bells in Horley is really nice....stones throw from Gatwick Airport.
  • Excellent food at The Six Bells.
  • No

Only teasing. You seem like a nice bloke so didn't want to send you to Crawley!

Seriously, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a good pub for food and a few beers then The Six Bells is good (as above), or if you want a "night out" then Crawley town centre has plenty to offer in the way of bars but alas none are "nice".

Hope that helps.
  • Are you staying at Cottesmore for the weekend? Going out in Crawley is best avoided. I went out out for the first time in two years and it was shocking.
    What are you looking for?
    Country pub?
    Live music?
    Punch up?
  • 12 of us staying at cottesmore. have stayed before but dont really enjoy spending the whole evening at the clubhouse so thought we might get cabs to somewhere nearby.
    seems best to avoid crawley then.
    as for what we're looking for, nothing clubby, no need for food, just a welcoming place that we aren't gonna be the only people drinking in. preferably not closing at 11.
  • I haven't been down that way for a while but the nearest pub is (if still open) a couple of miles down the road at Colgate. A local King & Barnes country pub, sorry can't think of the name, that had a good garden and decent food. I doubt that it's an 'afters' place though. You'd probably have to go into Horsham for after 11 drinking. Always the M23 services at Pease Pottage! Will try and think of that name.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have a client I look after down there. Just outside the station, so we don't have to venture into the centre too often, which never seems a bad thing. They do use The Old Punchbowl though, which does a decent Guinness and good food. Couldn't say what it was like in the evening though.
  • I can recommend a pub that is actually the nearest to where you're staying PBS, The Dragon at Colgate, come out of Cottesmore turn right and about half a mile on your left, proper little countryfied pub!
    As said, best to avoid Crawley, not much going on there
  • Also depends if you're playing golf on the Saturday, which I assume you are, but Crawley at home to Millwall in a PSF
  • Horsham only a 10 minute cab ride and some good restaraunts there
  • Abundance of restaurants in East Street and the Carfax in Horsham and seems to be the in-place at the moment. Even on Monday nights the restaurants are doing good business and there appears to be a good vibe around. Obviously there are pubs in the centre too if you want a pub crawl. Used to be a member of the Health Club at Cottesmore and enjoyed using the gym, pool, steam room and jacuzzi (nice!)
  • Yes, The Dragon, that's the one I was on about earlier. I see on Google it's a Hall & Woodhouse pub now which means more emphasis on the food side of things: the only way many country pubs are surviving these days.