Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin Media :o(

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
My girlfriend moved 6 weeks ago. After many emails (including to the chief exec.) and numerous phone calls, Virgin Media finally told her that the can't install the broadband at her flat as there is no line!

The whole experience was pathetic. I will avoid them like the plague in future. I urge you to do the same.

Anyone have BT Broadband and is it any good? What is there customer service like?

Cheers!

Comments

• I have had Virgin at a couple of properties now, and changed to them after having many a difficulty with BT and contacting there customer service.
  • From my experience virgin media have done this to everyone I know. They claim there's no line or something and will take weeks for them to do anything about it. Happened to me and is happening to one of my mates right now with them. Will deffo avoid them from now on
  • They are all as bad as each other, I was with Sky and it was a joke, poor service, poor equipment and expensive. I am now with BT for my broadband and phone and I am very happy.
  • The Internet with virgin is poor as. But have to say I far prefer there telly to what I have now (sky)
  • Remember that VirginMedia is the results of the multiple amalgamations of the various companies that built the original network. The records are of varying quality, especially where flats are concerned. Re BT customer service - I think you will find they are all on a similar level - it just depends who you get to talk to. At least with Virgin their CEO's complaints section do respond!

As for which broadband is the best - is and most likely will be for many years to come, that supplied by fibre cable - ie Virgin.
  • I moved out of a maisonette recently into a house and arranged for my virgin media to be moved too. Had a fella round the day after moving in and he had the whole lot up and running in 30 mins. Pretty decent tbh.
  • Also before virgin we had sky Internet. And watching films, playing xbox online was terrible. Slower than the doc
  • Virgin can't really be beaten for the internet, fantastic stuff.

The box is ugly, the tv user interface can be sluggish and the box can play up from time to time, but overall very happy with it.

We're still waiting for a Sky engineer to come round & install broadband about 4 years after ordering it! Sky's rubbish customer service meant we switched to Virgin.
  • Went from Sky to BT infinity and phone easy switch over no problems and excellent down and up speeds
  • Been with Virgin for years (since Telewest days). Their broadband is fantastic, as SLL says - 60mb and speed tests show it is.

Like SLL, slight niggles with the box from time to time, but customer service has been pretty good. Would go for Virgin if there's cable in your area, though flats could be a problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have never had trouble with Virgin Media great broadband,very helpful when my hand set wore out.One phone call later I had the new hand set next day.Very impressed.
  • Virgin can't really be beaten for the internet, fantastic stuff.

The box is ugly, the tv user interface can be sluggish and the box can play up from time to time, but overall very happy with it.

We're still waiting for a Sky engineer to come round & install broadband about 4 years after ordering it! Sky's rubbish customer service meant we switched to Virgin.

Pretty much agree with this. The TV is not the best. Seems to freeze up when trying to rewind and annoying bits like that. The internet however can't be knocked in my opinion. I was on the 30meg package and then they up-graded it to 60meg. I regulary check my connection speed and normally hit around the 55meg mark. As I don't watch much TV and only signed up to them for their broadband, there's no complaints from me..............................
  • The thing with these media firms is that they are brilliant when everything is working.
    Unfortunately, they seem to have a blind spot when it comes to customer service. I've had run ins with both Virgin and Sky in the past - most recently with Sky because they either couldn't or wouldn't sort out my incredibly sluggish internet. But I have to say, I can't decide which is better - for me, Virgin wins on Internet, Sky wins on telly.
    I'm with Virgin at the mo, maybe I'll change again at the end of the contract.

You've got to remember, they'll give you a deal for switching and they bend over backwards to get your custom, and rightly so, but frankly, they ought to be bending over backwards to KEEP your custom too.
    That's where they fail.
  • Virgin Media are amazing. never had a single problem with them and their broadband will never be beaten. If your property isnt on the cable grid though your buggered
  • Love sky for tv and now have BT infinity, which is fantastic, can't fault either and both have dealt with service issues (which were my fault) admirably. I'd say in the last couple of years sky's customer service has become the best out of all the major UK companies I deal with
  • I can't get cable, but can I still get fibre optic Broadband?
  • Been with Virgin for years great service
  • edited July 2012
    Had some really crap experiences with BT, for example the speed suddenly slowing to around 0.1 MB on my father-in-laws connection and despite numerous long phone calls and endless line tests and re-tests, replacement equipment etc the issue never got fixed. Eventually we switched to Sky and broke the terms of a twelve month contract with Bt and are currently fighting the early cancellation charge they are trying to impose on us. My Dad had similar issues with his speed suddenly plummeting and he had to fight tooth and nail to get BT to admit there was anything wrong. Eventually they basicaly admitted if they get too many new subscribers in one area they will throttle back existing customers speeds to make sure the new guys are satisfied with what they are getting.

Wife and I used to have Sky and after some initial teething issues where we had to wait months to get a modem sent out, the connection settled down to be fast and reliable and cheap if you bundle with your TV. Initial modem problems aside, Sky customer service were generally decent in my experience.

I now have Shaw in Canada and get a consistent 50 MB connection which is lurvly, but not much use for you!
  • edited July 2012
    I also have virgin media - TV, phone, broadband and mobile. Broadband @ 60Mbps (download) and when I test (using speedtest.net) I am pretty much getting these download speeds.

However, upload speeds are awful. I am only getting around 3Mbps!! Download is most important to me, so I don't have too much of a problem but I would expect more than 3Mbps these days!

Overall, I am very happy with the service
  • I also have virgin media - TV, phone, broadband and mobile. Broadband @ 60Mbps (download) and when I test (using speedtest.net) I am pretty much getting these download speeds.

However, upload speeds are awful. I am only getting around 3Mbps!! Download is most important to me, so I don't have too much of a problem but I would expect more than 3Mbps these days!

The Virgin Media network is HFC 'cable' network, this means that as you are sharing bandwidth with other users that your down/upload speeds are always going to be dependent on the amount of other traffic on the network.

The BT Infinity FTTN solution will provide better uploads speeds but the best possible upload speeds will be via the BT Infinity FTTP solution - but that is only available in some areas and will require additional installation payments for extra cabling work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Used Virgin in Eltham...they were poor, never used them since, quite happy with BT here in Hastings, flew to the states 10 years ago with Virgin Airways, got just over sothern Ireland and had to return to Gatwick due to faulty air-con...never liked them since the sponsored Palace.
  • I also have virgin media - TV, phone, broadband and mobile. Broadband @ 60Mbps (download) and when I test (using speedtest.net) I am pretty much getting these download speeds.

Your 3Mb upload matches your original 30Mb download, which has now been doubled. Your upload will increase in due course.
  • sam3110 said:

I can't get cable, but can I still get fibre optic Broadband?

Probably, it depends on whether or not BT Open Reach have run fibre to your locality.

I use talktalk. First because they are cheap - the basic broadband cost is included in the package for no extra cost. And second because there is a bolt-on package which gives free uk and international calls 24/7.
    Because of where I live my broadband speed is rubbish but I'm probably going to pay an extra £10 a month to get it upgraded to fibre so I can use BBC iplayer and the like without buffering issues.
  • Virgin Media finally emailed me today. They will refund my girlfriend's charges (which they previously denied that they had even taken by DD) from the date that she moved. I only had to threaten to take them to small claims court!!!

She'll be going with Plusnet now. Let's see if they are any better!!!!