Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Daniel Defoe; 1720's Charlton.

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
I was having a read on the internet last night and came across this piece by Daniel Defoe.

Charlton, a village famous, or rather infamous for the yearly collected rabble of mad-people, at Horn-Fair; the rudeness of which I cannot but think, is such as ought to be suppressed, and indeed in a civiliz'd well govern'd nation, it may well be said to be unsufferable. The mob indeed at that time take all kinds of liberties, and the women are especially impudent for that day; as if it was a day that justify'd the giving themselves a loose to all manner of indecency and immodesty, without any reproach, or without suffering the censure which such behaviour would deserve at another time."

It's not changed much....

Comments

• Options
    Only once a year when Millwall come to the village!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

...... the women are especially impudent for that day; as if it was a day that justify'd the giving themselves a loose to all manner of indecency and immodesty.....

Ah ......that's why it was called Horn fair.
  • Options
    That quote should be on the Crumpet thread.
  • Options

Only once a year when Millwall come to the village!

Ah therein explains the "Isle of Dogs" where Millwall come hither fro!
  • Options
    You've prompted me to look at the origin of the place name:

Charlton is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Cerletone.[1] It is formed from Old English 'ceorl' and 'tūn' and means 'farmstead of the freemen or peasants'. It is a common English placename and the parish was also known as Charlton next Woolwich to distinguish it from Charlton by Dover. During the 19th century the riverside portion of the area became known as New Charlton.

Any peasants still around?

• Options

You've prompted me to look at the origin of the place name:

Charlton is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Cerletone.[1] It is formed from Old English 'ceorl' and 'tūn' and means 'farmstead of the freemen or peasants'. It is a common English placename and the parish was also known as Charlton next Woolwich to distinguish it from Charlton by Dover. During the 19th century the riverside portion of the area became known as New Charlton.

Any peasants still around?

I know there are a few "Charltons" dotted about through Wilts, Hamps and in the West Country too...
  • Options
    Never did like Defoe...