Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympics: Football

With the GB womens team kicking off today I thought it be nice to say good luck to them and it's good to see Casey Stoney and Eniola Aluko in the squad too. Such a shame that CAFC women's team was disbanded back on 2007. Come on GB!!

Comments

• Good luck to them. I keep hearing moaning from everyone about how they haven't sold all the tickets but apparently they have sold 38,000 for the games today, personally I think that is quite an impressive number. More than the Welsh men get anyway.
  • edited July 2012
    Just seems a little curious that this is taking place 'before' the opening ceremony..........has this happened before I wonder, where an event in the host nation has taken place before the opening ceremony......I can't ever remember it if it has?
    Somehow doesn't feel quite right.
  • edited July 2012

Just seems a little curious that this is taking place 'before' the opening ceremony..........has this happened before I wonder, where an event in the host nation has taken place before the opening ceremony......I can't ever remember it if it has?

The football has done for the last 2 or 3 Olympics
  • Funnily enough, the football is the comp I am least excited about.
    Love the Olympics, just cant get up for the footie though.

Good luck to them though.
  • Just seems a little curious that this is taking place 'before' the opening ceremony..........has this happened before I wonder, where an event in the host nation has taken place before the opening ceremony......I can't ever remember it if it has?

Oh has it....I honestly hadn't noticed.
    Personaly, I think no events should begin until 'after' the opening ceremony.

• It's just that the football programme is so intensive they wouldnt be able to fit in any other way.

I'm excited for the football. Obviously it's not the world cup or the euros, but there are some strong sides and it's exciting to see Brazil, Spain, Uruguay competing on English soil.
  • 78,000 sold for Tuesday womens game at Wembley, Team GB v Brazil, and they think it may sell out.

70,000 sold for the mens game at OT Tomorrow, with the Wembley game on Saturday a 90,000 sell out
  • Decent figures in all fairness!
  • edited July 2012
    Rothko, Mens football at Wembley on Sunday not Saturday - you almost gave me an heart attack cos have made promises to go to wife's friends on Sat night(!) Have tickets for this game hence the fright! :)
  • Uruguay, Mexico, Spain and Brazil to win their groups in Mens Football 6/1! Heard it here.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn't go to a womens game even if I got paid to go, not the womens fault but the standard is so annoying and boring to watch.
  • Got £100 on them winning today to win £50 - hopefully they do the business .
  • I wouldn't go to a womens game even if I got paid to go, not the womens fault but the standard is so annoying and boring to watch.

Have to agree. It's embarrassing bad even at international level.

• Just seems a little curious that this is taking place 'before' the opening ceremony..........has this happened before I wonder, where an event in the host nation has taken place before the opening ceremony......I can't ever remember it if it has?

Oh has it....I honestly hadn't noticed.
    Personaly, I think no events should begin until 'after' the opening ceremony.

In sentiment I agree but squeezing in 6 games in a fortnight is probably just a bit too much.

Agreed, Id rather watch blokes Sunday football than womens international football.
  • well I'm going on Tuesday night and to the womens gold medal match, and looking forward to both.
  • I just don't see the football in the same light as a true Olympic event
  • Rothko said:

well I'm going on Tuesday night and to the womens gold medal match, and looking forward to both.

make sure you practice that mexican wave

I'm with you on this. No interest at all, same as the tennis.

• Greenie said:

I wouldn't go to a womens game even if I got paid to go, not the womens fault but the standard is so annoying and boring to watch.

Agreed, Id rather watch blokes Sunday football than womens international football.
    THIS
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks rammo for the opening game
  • Uruguay, Mexico, Spain and Brazil to win their groups in Mens Football 6/1! Heard it here.
    How could anyone ignore one of your tips given your stunning performance in the Euro spread bet competition?

Pretty much been in every Olympics for over 100 years. Sadly doesn't tend to get that well covered. I'd rather watch football than javelin or archery, personally.

• Brilliant, as soon as they kick off they kick the ball off play
  • Greenie said:

I wouldn't go to a womens game even if I got paid to go, not the womens fault but the standard is so annoying and boring to watch.

this, not sure I could be paid to go and watch women's football

• Women's football is so bad I just can't watch it. Truly awful!!
    How could anyone ignore one of your tips given your stunning performance in the Euro spread bet competition?
    Haha got no defence there! Although I did back Spain/Torres in the Euros.
  • edited July 2012
    I took my girls to watch the England v Holland ladies international at The Valley a few years back and was pleasantly surprised.

Karen Carney ( I think her name was) put over some crosses better than anything we saw from Rommedahl at the time!

I always find that the women try to play a proper game to feet which is aesthetically pleasing. The big general area of weakness, in my opinion, is the goalkeeping which is often poor.

• Anyone know how tickets are going for Gabon versus South Korea

I find it hard to take the women seriously when me and my my mates could probably beat the Team GB Womens team.