Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympics opening ceremony

Is nobody in CL watching this? Why no threads. We watched in Greenwich and then cabbed it home missed exams from Afghanistan to Chad!!Think it has been great

Comments

• Oops missed other thread
  • On BBC3 now for anyone that missed it :-)
  • The German waving with Boris and Camillla pissing themselves in the background one of the many highlights on a wonderful night.
  • I'd forgotten that the USA team turned up dressed like a cross between the guardian angels and some college dorks!
  • And when the GB team come out to Heroes it still brings a lump to the throat.

The London Olympics were brilliant.
  • Ali touching the flag. Magical.
  • I wish we had those two wonderful weeks to live through again. Watching this again tonight makes me so proud to be British.
  • Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Macca slaughtering a tune or two at the end. Ah well!
  • I wish we had those two wonderful weeks to live through again. Watching this again tonight makes me so proud to be British.

Amen to that.
    Best you turn it off just before Mcartney takes to the stage so as to not 'ruin the moment'

• So what was the moment when you realised it was all going to be great?

For me when the bass line whacks in on And I will Kiss, and I knew it would be brilliant
  • Sponsored links:

• I was a bit sceptical. I didn't think we could manage the logistics. Thanks to my Czech brother in law, who had set his heart on going to London on his motorbike for it, I applied for and got tickets. On the night of the opening ceremony I went for a few beers in Prague before returning to watch the ceremony. Three hours later, dazzled and stunned I went to bed, and woke up next day to watch cyclists tearing through Surrey roads which I recognized. A switch finally flicked in my head. Thankfully our brilliant athletes, Seb Coe, and Danny Boyle never even needed a switch.

Playing the music again now...
  • Went to the Anniversary Games today as VIPS. Met both Usain Bolt and Mo Farah....cracking day plus saw some great track and field too!
  • VIP Very Important Pusher?
  • Went to the Anniversary Games today as VIPS. Met both Usain Bolt and Mo Farah....cracking day plus saw some great track and field too!

What time were the athletics on, cos I saw Usain on Friday night 9.45ish but turned on at just after 9pm Saturday night and there was no sign of anything, how did Mo get on, what distance did he run ?
  • Mo Farah won the 3000m Easy peasey lemon squeazey.

Usain Bolt was part of the relay which his team won easy.

Think it was on about until 8 o clock last Night.
  • Mo Farah won the 3000m Easy peasey lemon squeazey.

Usain Bolt was part of the relay which his team won easy.

Think it was on about until 8 o clock last Night.

Started at 2 ended at 5
  • Oh. I must of watched it later.
  • Rothko said:

So what was the moment when you realised it was all going to be great?

For me when the bass line whacks in on And I will Kiss, and I knew it would be brilliant

For me, July 6th 2005. I honestly never had a doubt that it would be brilliant from the day it was awarded. As the chimneys appeared from nowhere in the opening ceremony I knew I had been right. It was brilliant to see all those people who love to knock Britain gradually shut their traps as everything came together. Some were even man (or woman) enough to admit they had been wrong ( Mr Prague Addick himself in this thread - well done sir!). What a glorious couple of weeks for London and Britain. Bradley Wiggins in front of a sun drenched Hampton Court receiving his gold medal did more for UK and London tourism in five minutes than a thousand hours of TV adverts.
  • I wish we had those two wonderful weeks to live through again. .

Said something similar to my mrs recentlly , the feel good factor of being at /watching the Olympics was unreal and I've felt a strange pang of something ever since as time goes by about not being able to feel that again
    Just the whole atmosphere and everything was truly amazing , everyone seemed happy and buzzing

I should imagine the sadness I feel about not being able to feel that again may be x 1,000,000 times worse for some of the competitors

I love football more than any sport by miles and have been to one World Cup finals with England in Japan and the atmosphere was brilliant and obviously with mates it was a right laugh...
    I'm a general sports fan but wouldn't watch a non World/Europe/Olympic event in most sports but the 2012 Olympics was something so incredible , it was almost too good to be true , maybe being there with my eldest son and other family members made it a little bit special but there was definitely something truly magical about those Olympics that turned the country in to a happier more vibrant place before the grind of normal life returned and I would say the greatest sporting finals ever.

As Cher would sing .... If I could turn back time
  • Rothko said:

So what was the moment when you realised it was all going to be great?

For me, July 6th 2005.
    Brilliant day.

• Sponsored links:

• And something else to be proud of. I actually got the tickets, through the system. At roughly the same time I was trying and failing to get Euro2012 tickets. What a stinking corrupt process that was. While I know a lot of people were disappointed with London 2012 tickets, it seemed to me that it worked pretty well, and the information flow was first class. It was great to show my brother in law on the web that we didn't need any special connections, and we were really going to be in the Olympic Stadium. For him it reinforced the impression many Czechs have that Britain is a country where things are done fairly and competently.

Hell of a lot of people, both pros and volunteers, put their hearts and souls into that project, long before the light went on in the heads of sceptics like me. One more time I doff my hat to them.
  • Same as algarve I was in my car in newham doing auduits listening inbetween outlets to talk sport who were out where it was being drawn

Thinking selfishly I hope we get it as my job prospects would have the potential to change if I postitioned myself into the right places

The min it was said

The city of london I knew we would smash it

Working in the park from the first demolition all the way to the stadium being opened and then being involved in putting on the first event in the velodrome in the jan before the olympics you knew it was going to be smashed out the park

My son and wife going to the opening ceremony dress rehearsal whist I worked the second ceremony I knew that danny boyle had created magic

the test events were all learnings for me of what I was about to face with the responsibilty of ensuring that coca cola had all the merchandise and selling equipment at every venue across the country

But when we finally started on the torch relay after months of planning you knew that's it games time is here and I worked harder and longer at an intensity I had never felt

I saw the games from a perspective I feel privilaged to have seen but it is and was the greatest show on earth that has resulted in me taking stock of my life and giving me the chance to change

Legacy wise I am convinced we have got it wrong I mean coca cola making over five hundred people redundant within six months of the games finishing is wrong but for me if my gamble don't pay off I would put my cv against anyones in a project mgmt \ planning logistics job that arose I may have got nothing at school but the olympics changed my life for the better

I had the chance to go to russia and brazil to work on the winter and the main again

But for me it was a once in a lifetime I couldn't offer the same comitment as it was a london olympics and I am a very proud londoner I done the best I could because I had witnessed the country doing the best it could
  • I totally agree with the sentiments here, what a wonderful 2 weeks that was, and how lucky I was to see even a piece of it. (like others here, it was luck not connections that got my tickets).

Confounding the sceptics was a bonus benefit...all that "all that expense for a party" crap went out the window. The belief that we can really do these things is a priceless legacy and advert for the UK in so many ways.

Any IOC member who voted for us back in '05 must have thought "that was one of my better decisions"
  • edited July 2013
    Great read NLA.

There is something special about this Country with pomp and circumstance.

As Carly Simon sang........

Nobody does it better.
  • I loved the Olympics, and yes I agree that it was a great advert for the country. I managed to get a lot of tickets, for more obscure sports, and really enjoyed the experience