Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorian Dervite on trial

2»

Comments

• Options

Melrose said:

cafctom said:

Melrose said:

cafctom said:

None of our current center backs came here with a record of being massively successful in their previous roles. Morrison was out of favor at Wednesday, Matt Taylor had played mostly in non-league, Leon Cort had been all over the place.

This guy is only 24 and has played for both Tottenham and Villareal B - I'd say there's got to be some talent there.

My feelings exactly, just keen to know why Huddersfield who apparently were on the brink of signing him...........Haven't/Didn't!!

Maybe because the player preferred the idea of taking a trial with Charlton. We are a bigger club than Huddersfield in pretty much every department.

Yep probably right and I expect a player may see London as a more appealing option than Huddersfield (no disrespect to Huddersfield)

Do we want a player signing for us just because he fancies living in London though? I remember an interview with Curbs when he said that he had to be convinced a player wanted to play for Charlton, and bought into the ethos of the club, before signing him. We don't want players who are more interested in London nightlife than Charlton. Obviously I have no idea what position Dervite is in, so I'm not jumping to conclusions about him not signing for Huddersfield.
    I think that in such a competitive market for good players, we should be using the London aspect to our advantage if anything. It is only natural a 24 year old would choose London, especially considering he lived here before from his time with Tottenham.

That aside, we are a more attractive club than Huddersfield too - it's a no brainer really.

• Options
    Already lives in London though doesn't he. Would you rather stay put or up sticks for what is meant as no disrespect to a outpost like Huddersfield ?
  • Options
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    If he was playing in Spain last year, I doubt he lives in London.
  • Options
    I stand corrected. Thought he was still on Spurs books and loaned to the Spaniards.
  • Options

I stand corrected. Thought he was still on Spurs books and loaned to the Spaniards.

Unless he is stupid, I don't think he'd sell up in London and invest his proceeds in the Spanish property market. If he did he may have a holiday home in the sun for years to come.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Do we want a player signing for us just because he fancies living in London though? I remember an interview with Curbs when he said that he had to be convinced a player wanted to play for Charlton, and bought into the ethos of the club, before signing him. We don't want players who are more interested in London nightlife than Charlton. Obviously I have no idea what position Dervite is in, so I'm not jumping to conclusions about him not signing for Huddersfield.

However Curbs did not keep to the wanting to play for charlton ethos as time went on and we had to bring in obvious mercenaries such as big Bent, Murphy, Rommedahl, even Di Canio

• Options
    Think Hudds wanted to sign Morrision, who was on loan there last season, but when the deal looked in doubt they started looking at other options - DD being one of them.
    The Morrison deal appears to be back on so I'm guessing that's why DD didn't sign for them.
  • Options
    Watched Dervite one game at Southend and he looked good , not sure about best at Roots Hall in 25 years but he's certainly worth a go on a short term contract
  • Options
    Ross said:

Cort looked awful against Lisbon in the friendly, yet he was immense at the end of last season.

I trust Powelly to make the correct signings.

to be fair, Cort is hardly going to be playing against Sporting Lisbon level players next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Playing tonight according to Cawley in the SLP.
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing him. Just as with a whole host of other players (successes) last season, SCP will know what he needs and whether the lad has the attributes he's looking for, so completely trust his judgement. Fits into the mould of 21-25 year old with years to develop upon with our coaching team too.

First impressions can be woefully deceiving too - Sweaty Balmer's home debut anyone - little could we tell what a good player he'd turn out to be for us.....