Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amateur/Professional Olympics

Why is boxing the only sport that is strictly amateur?

Comments

• Probably because the promoters wouldn't allowed their stars to box several times within one month. They would allow pros if they could, so much for the Olympic ideal.
  • edited July 2012
    Without accepting professionalism the games would have died. Look how people knock the BDO compared to the PDC, they are still great players, but most people in this day and age only want to see THE best.
  • No real idea but I was listening to Wayne Gradey and Nick Faldo talking about golf when it becomes an Olympic sport and the 100% thought it should be for amateur golfers olny to give them something really meaningful to aspire to which I thought was great but we all know what will really happen the sponsors will insist on Tiger et al and the whole thing will become another tour event albeit every four years.
  • Golf shouldn't be in the olympics. It is a passtime rather than a sport.
  • There are a few things that should be taken out of the olympics. That horse rubbish on BBC now is one of them
  • Chrispy51 said:

Golf shouldn't be in the olympics. It is a passtime rather than a sport.

You may be right but it is included next time (I think) and if so it should be amateur. By the way is it any less "athletic" than shooting or archery?
  • Surely the addition of Golf will open the gates for cricket and american rounders?
  • Maybe CWLC wouldn't that be a nonsense
  • Anyone can be a pro boxer however crap you are the Olympic boxing gold is the something special though it's devalued by such poor judging
  • If golf is in then how about darts, or snooker, or chess?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chess boxing would be good.
  • Surely the addition of Golf will open the gates for cricket and american rounders?

Both baseball and Softball have recently been in the Olympics and only dropped for this one.

• Thank god for that. Now need to get tennis and horses out and we will be looking a bit better
  • Why is boxing the only sport that is strictly amateur?

I don't think there are any professional archers anymore.
  • iainment said:

There are actually! mainly compound archers in the States
  • McBobbin said:

iainment said:

There are actually! mainly compound archers in the States
    Feckers!
  • edited July 2012
    I know it is a trite thing to say, but you don't have to watch the sports you don't like. Beach volleyball and rhythmic gymnastics leave me cold, so I don't bother. That said, anything played on sand is second rate, so I would like to see it dumped...