Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ground you've ever been to

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gigg Lane at Bury - mind you - you could still watch the game while having a p!ss which was a big plus point when you've been on the beers all day !
  • Options
    Plough Lane
    The Old Den
    Fratton Park (it always rains)
    Filbert St
    Selhurst
  • Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned Chesterfield.

Those toilets....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]White Hart Lane.
    Nightmare to get to.nightmare to get away from, and it stinks.

Yeah, the first time I went there was circa 1977. We stood up one corner of the Park Lane, with a ten foot high iron railing separating us from the Spudz nutters. Unfortunately there was no fence stopping them getting onto the pitch and climbing back into our area. Pretty scary. The journey was diabolical.
  • Options
    Twerton Park.
    The old Molineux.
  • Options
    in was gonna say chesterfield
    filbert street too for me

worst lay out for a concourse - madjeski.

it took 20 mins to get anywhere. by the time you squeezed yourself down the stairs, you were faced with the end of the queue for the kiosks, then tried to battle your way to the loos but the queues were in the way.

if there was a fire. we'd be doomed.

closely followed by:
    chelsea cup game last season, at half time "no smoking" yeah right. it was ridiculous. i wanted to crawl along the floor so i could actually see anything. took us about 1/2 hour to shuffle out of the ground the exit was so small.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: pork_pie[/cite]Oakwell. Sh*thole inside, outside and the city itself.

Shocking that places such as Barnsley exist in this day and age.

Agree with you about the whole town being a dump but there are far worse grounds than Oakwell. I find the Barnsley accent the second most irritating in the UK (after Manchester) - have to put up with it from the driver whenever I travel by National Express coach to get to The Valley. They are supposed to be doing up the town's bus station. Why bother? It is a waste of space.

Oh the worst ground - Central Avenue where Worksop Town used to play. Now that was a sh*t ground. And the town is still sh*t. Even worse than Barnsley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cheeky~Bandit[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pork_pie[/cite]Oakwell. Sh*thole inside, outside and the city itself.

Shocking that places such as Barnsley exist in this day and age.

I find the Barnsley accent the second most irritating in the UK (after Manchester) .

LOL
  • Options
    Barnsley is indeed a hole.

I think the term 'woolyback' was invented for Barnsleyites.

Although their accent is irritating, its topped for me by Burnley and Dudley - every time I hear someone from either of those illustrious environs I want to twat them with a brick
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Barnsley is indeed a hole.

I think the term 'woolyback' was invented for Barnsleyites.

Although their accent is irritating, its topped for me by Burnley and Dudley - every time I hear someone from either of those illustrious environs I want to twat them with a brick

But have you ever been to Worksop (where I spent the worst eight years of my life) and IMHO has to be far worse than Barnsley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elm Park - Worst ground ever FACT
  • Options
    layer road (about 83ish in the cup) we stood on what can only be described as scaffold boards.
    southamptons old ground has to be up there aswell. that silly end that was 60 seats high in 1 corner sloping down to 1 seat in the other, the death-trap wooden walkways about 3ft wide behind the away stand and the hampshire constabulary.
    and the old toolbox.
  • Options
    Selhurst - everything about it I despised; the journey, the Terry Waite stand (he survived in better conditions), that stupid little club shop, our badge under Palace's, that stupid orange dot matrix thing in front of Sainsbury's - I learned how to irrationally hate another club at that place and will forever remain bitter. Prefered Filbert Street when the toilets flooded out over the terraces to that dump in an area that seems to filter the life out of the even the sunniest day. No offence, son of ;0)
  • Options
    saw fulham play with medders, rommie, and pork pie, wooden seats, and where you spilt drinks in your seat, the liquid dropped through the cracks in the wood to where everyone was waiting below!

dunno where it was though. think it was before craven cottage or maybe before they did it up a bit? poss loftus road?
  • Options
    I'll second Layer Road, absolutely appaling ground.
  • Options
    Colchester - Fell through the wooden terrace.

Chesterfield- 6 of their supporters watching the game from up a tree, outside the ground.

Southend - Away terrace so shallow only Peter Crouch would get a good view.

Plough Lane - Rust tip.

WINNER:- Harlow Town 22/11/1980.FA CUP 1st round.

The ground had no terracing and we had to stand on a sloping muddy grass bank, seperated from the home fans by a police tape and a few old bill.A geezer near me had a police dog hanging off his leg for a while when the scrapping started.

Oh and I revisited yesterday on the way to Harlow Magistrates Court for speeding on the M11.Got fined and 5 points.

Was thinking of asking the Magistrates if I could make a donation to the needy and offer the 5 points to Charlton, but thought better of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    Was thinking of asking the Magistrates if I could make a donation to the needy and offer the 5 points to Charlton, but thought better of it.

LOL, nice one
  • Options
    Cambridge,walkin in the cows crap to get to away end.
  • Options
    some of these grounds are classics perhaps its the memory of the games i cant hate oakwell because of the last away game before we went back to the valley ive got no time for all the new grounds that look the same with different colour seats like derby , borough, southampton etc. Think the one i hate the most has to be the jjb looks much better on the box and plastic when you get there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cheeseroll[Think the one i hate the most has to be the jjb looks much better on the box and plastic when you get there

Nothing to do with our performances there then?

Worst grounds for facilities- Manor Ground, Layer Rd and Elm Park, Having said that i always had a soft spot for the Manor ground.

For atmosphere- New Derby, Leicester and (yes Cheeseroll) the JJB are really awful and i'd rather be at the Manor ground anyday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    defo Layer Rd. Loose railway sleepers with gaps as terracing (broken ankle waiting to happen) with mounds of inflamable , valley parade style, rubbish below. The unacceptable face of terracing.
  • Options
    Quote from Sco "Selhurst - everything about it I despised; the journey, the Terry Waite stand (he survived in better conditions), "

Cracked me up - brilliant!!
  • Options
    Layer Road, Shithole Park and Swindon.

I quite liked Oxford
  • Options
    Nobody mention The Shay, Halifax Town?

Good Friday, 1973, Division 3 - and one disorganised and disinterested bunch of tossers in red shirts were getting trashed 3-0 and we'd travelled over 500miles round trip to see it. The ground had only 3 sides with a slag heap behind one goal and a wood & corrugated iron stand with the paint peeling.......

Then of course, at that time, equally dire in reality but heavenly in our hearts....was The Valley, complete with wood & corrugated iron stand with the paint peeling.......

Hardly an away ground, but with the weeds sprouting through the decaying terracing and the bloke standing in front of you opening his umbrella so you couldn't see, losing to Walsall at home in the rain could be just as bleak.
  • Options
    For Me Has to be Hereford united,Wallsall(before move)Halifax Town,Colchester United,Macclesfield Town,Scarborough,Doncaster Rovers(old)Exeter City,Wigan(Spring field park)Blackpool,York city.Also plenty of non league grounds but since they never really get upgraded i have not included.
  • Options
    i'd like to add that all those i've listed as worst grounds, and all the others on the list, i'd rather go to any day of the week than the Emerites or any other spangly super-knew wrap-around arenadome...
  • Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we have moved on and changed old staiums/grounds with new soulless garbage like the reebok,emirates and so on, i'd rather go to bromley,welling or thamesmead town than the above.At least i know what the facilities will be like with a decent atmosphere to boot.
  • Options
    "Aye we were 'appy in those days though, 'appy and poor"