Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champix - Stop smoking pill

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone had any success with this?

Comments

• Options
    From personal experience, if you want to give up, use 16-24hr nicotine patches. Was smoking more than 40 B&H Gold a day, went on to the patches and havent had a single drag in almost 9 years now.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

From personal experience, if you want to give up, use 16-24hr nicotine patches. Was smoking more than 40 B&H Gold a day, went on to the patches and havent had a single drag in almost 9 years now.

Yep patches and exercise are really good.

Also try the allen carr book (you can smoke while you read it). Worked for practically everyone I know who read it who were all heavy smokers.
  • Options
    mate of mine had a course of them and they did work... for about 6 months. He's smoking again now. Work fine all the time you're on them but as soon as you're off, if the willpower not there... basically like all stop smoking methods you have to want to stop.

I've managed to cut down to 3 or 4 a day. People say to me 'what's the point? Why don't you just stop?' I just haven't got the willpower to stop all together. Hopefully someday soon I will.
  • Options
    Seriously anyone who wants to quit or at least thinking of it should read allen carr's "Easy way to stop smoking". Cant hurt to read it and has a ridiculously high success rate.
  • Options

Seriously anyone who wants to quit or at least thinking of it should read allen carr's "Easy way to stop smoking". Cant hurt to read it and has a ridiculously high success rate.

What's the thrust of the book Rodders ?

• Options
    edited August 2012

What's the thrust of the book Rodders ?

Really hard to do it justice SHG...it is different from all the other stop smoking litreture/ methods in that it doesnt require will power and doesnt rely on the usual "its bad for your health etc etc".

It dispels a lot of myths around smoking, why we smoke and makes you see that it isnt actually hard to quit.

I'll try and find a review of it that gives it a bit more than my effort here.

It didnt work for me but when i eventually quit i used so much from the book and found it a lot easier than the thousand times i attempted to quit before. As i say though it has a phenomenal success rate and i know 4 ex heavy smokers who read it and havent touched a smoke since and never felt any craving or desire or pining to and just wished theyd read it earlier.

Will try and find some links for it now. Fella who wrote it was 100+ a day man before he came up with his method and quit. Helped millions of people all over the world.

Im not on comission! but it really does work for 99% of folk who read it and it's only about a tenner so nothing to lose by reading it even if you have no intention of quitting.

EDIT: here's some links....the youtube video (last link is a good watch)

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0140277633/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

900+ good reviews on amazon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TL2Vh7goJc
  • Options
    Thanks. I might pick up a copy for my mum. As you say what can you lose.
  • Options

Thanks. I might pick up a copy for my mum. As you say what can you lose.

Absolutely nothing to lose and loads to gain. Ive known people in the depths of depression cos of smoking who never thought they would ever quit as they had for so long and so much and suddenly they read it and just stop and are happy to do so.

Dont pressure her to read it but just encourage her and really hope it works for your mum.

• Options
    gave up smoking with champix 3 years ago in November, didn't even crave a cigarette (was on 40 a day .....probably a few more) apart from the early very vivid dreams...... NO not that type ! no side effects either, even though media hype about the tablet was not positive which made me worry unduly. Would say though that you have to be ready to give up as well. Highly recommended by me though. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • Options
    A friend used the Allen Carr book and patches with some success, im on day 13 with the Champix and after 17 years of smoking 20 a day I have gone 48 hours without a cigarette for the first time with no cravings at all, its all a bit strange to be honest.

Ive had a few side effects like feeling a little bit sick and remembering dreams which is unusual but generally (touch wood) it seems to be working.

I think I will borrow my mates copy of that Allen Carr book as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think you do have to be wary about the side-effects with Champix. Some people will use it without any adverse effects, others won't. My doctor said he wouldn't prescribe it to me due to the potential side-effects, hence I'm still puffing away despite patches and Allen Carr.

From what I'm told, the principle difference with Champix is that it makes you not want to smoke, so you don't need to worry about being weak-willed in the same way that you do with other methods.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Think you do have to be wary about the side-effects with Champix. Some people will use it without any adverse effects, others won't. My doctor said he wouldn't prescribe it to me due to the potential side-effects, hence I'm still puffing away despite patches and Allen Carr.

From what I'm told, the principle difference with Champix is that it makes you not want to smoke, so you don't need to worry about being weak-willed in the same way that you do with other methods.

that's true, while my mate was on the pills he didn't want to smoke at all. he even tried smoking one but threw it away after 2 puffs. problem is while you're on the pills it's all well and good - but then as soon as you're off them, that's when you'll need willpower.
    And you're right about side-effects, my mate suffered with insomnia and what he described as the freakiest dreams you could possibly imagine.
  • Options
    Well done to everyone who has managed to stop on here. I know that it must take tremendous willpower.

As you will all be aware, I am all too aware of what smoking will / could do to you if you dont give up - with a mum who is slowly slipping away from me whilst battling lung cancer spread to the brain. Smoking can tear families apart, not to mention quite literally kill you.

Just to update, Mum is now in hospital, and I guess the next step will be hospice eventually. The palliative chemo which is supposed to extend her life nearly finished her off last week and they are debating whether or not it is worth it at all.

In my Mums own words she "took a gamble with her life, and ended up with a losing hand".

It is easy for me to say, as I dont smoke, but surely hearing about what smoking does to people will drive anyone on to throw them away.
  • Options
    After 30yrs of smoking and various methods of trying to quit, i.e patches (Champix did absolutely nothing for me) I just decided to quit and go cold turkey. I was amazed at how easy i found it and within a few days I was finding it really easy. Even going to parties and standing outside amongst smokers wasn't a problem for me.

Not all good news though. After almost 8 months I started again. Not really sure what triggered it off but hey ho. Think one of my biggest stumbling blocks now is knowing I can do it, which makes it easier to just say to myself " I can quit at anytime, no no problem" (if that makes sense?).

Now decided to give it another go. Going to stick with my cold turkey method, but if that fails, I might give that book a try..................................