Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic crowds

Have really been getting behind the British competitors. Even the horsey set passing through Greenwich are noisy and very colourful.
Nice to see and creating a feel good factor throughout the country.

Comments

• Options
    Spot on Baldy - amazing atmospheres. So good to see.
    No doubt helped by the torch relay raising interest.

Special mention to the Japanese
    Estimated 10,000 to watch women's football in Cardiff, 16,000 to watch mens football in Coventry (sold out).
    Many of them over for only three days or so and packing in three events in three days.
  • Options
    and i must mention the amount of Jodphur clad bottoms on Greenwich Church street has certainly brightened a dull morning.
  • Options
    Also nice to see so many Union Flags too. Barely a sighting of individual country flags which really pisses me off.
  • Options
    First time in London today since it started. Tbh, the Olympic brigade pissed me off. More like a jubilee crowd than sports fans with their sh1t souvenirs and mascots and getting in the way on the tube. Glad I'm getting out for the next 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Well I am loving it and glad Im not going anywhere for the next week or so, London is a brilliant place to be at the moment
  • Options
    kafka said:

First time in London today since it started. Tbh, the Olympic brigade pissed me off. More like a jubilee crowd than sports fans with their sh1t souvenirs and mascots and getting in the way on the tube. Glad I'm getting out for the next 2 weeks.

See ya then. Don't rush back.
  • Options
    i love it too! every day on the tube another excited family painted in their nations colours with flags.
  • Options

i love it too! every day on the tube another excited family painted in their nations colours with flags.

Agreed, a lovely Spanish man asked us to paint his face last week at the footie...most enjoyable excuse for starting a friendship.

Plus of course the miseries will get away for 2 weeks or stick to moaning behind keyboards leaving the events to people who are happy to enjoy themselves!
    Everyone's a winner!
  • Options
    The noise has been mental

When i first went to dorney lake 2 years ago i couldnt think of a more tranquil place at the odd boat on the water the boys and girls getting the stuff out the boat house

Then yesterday as we won gold it was the loudest place i had ever heard who needs a roof the noise was deafening

Made the hair stand up on your my neck and my ears ring for atleast ten mins after

Went to excel today and the noise is still mad the swimming pool is really loud cant wait for basket ball next week on the tv it sounds great

Not sure how accoustics will be in the stadium but at a few test events it seemed ok i think it will be mad
  • Options
    Interesting NLA
    The designer of the velodrome was interviewed on radio yesterday - he says its the loudest of the London stadia, and the best acoustics of any velodrome for crowds. He was also asked to bring the crowd as close to the track as possible and explained some unusual arrangements around the 'ends' of the track.
    So much thought has gone into these marvellous venues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The whole thing has been a lot more fun than I was expecting.

I went to see Brazil vs USA last night in the Volleyball and the atmosphere was brilliant!
  • Options
    Watching the athletics now and the crowd looks just amazing.
    What a transformation in a few short years
  • Options
    kafka said:

Ignorant bastards, enjoying themselves and "getting in your way". How dare they not act like sports fans! I hope you twatted a few of them, just so they know the score.

• Options
    I have been three times now and have found the good nature of the crowds to be really refreshing, everyone is friendly and enthusiastic. Glad you are pissing off Kafka the last thing we need is a right bunch of miserableologists spoiling the event. Yesterday at the Boxing the atmosphere during Danny Ogogo's fight was absolutely amazing and I have to say I was surrounded by very knowledgeable people so not all "tourists".
  • Options
    I think its great , the crowds everywhere have been superb and getting behind all the Brits . Young and old , families , couples , mates all enjoying themselves . Last year we had the riots, I know what I prefer
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Well I am loving it and glad Im not going anywhere for the next week or so, London is a brilliant place to be at the moment

I am so glad that we did not go away or rent house out. Glad to be here. What I have noticed is lots of family groups in their countries shirts. I am going to equestrian tomorrow and have nothing appropriate to wear
  • Options

I have been three times now and have found the good nature of the crowds to be really refreshing, everyone is friendly and enthusiastic. Glad you are pissing off Kafka the last thing we need is a right bunch of miserableologists spoiling the event. Yesterday at the Boxing the atmosphere during Danny Ogogo's fight was absolutely amazing and I have to say I was surrounded by very knowledgeable people so not all "tourists". </blockquote

Love the word miserableologists did you make it up or is it a collective noun for CL?

• Options
    kafka said:

One of the purposes of the Olympics is to give minor sports their time in the lime light so of course you won't get the traditional sports fan.

I think it's one of the best things to happen to London, I hope we host it again!

• Options
    kimbo said:

SE7toSG3 said:

I am going to equestrian tomorrow and have nothing appropriate to wear
    I have lots of appropriate equestrian gear if you want to borrow it . I've got Jodhpurs , some pimple grip riding gloves , leather gaiters and a pair of chestnut breeches if any interest ?
  • Options
    The velodrome is my favourite building we had the first event in there as our start of year Confrence

Then at the test events it was excellent but because of the heat in there it makes it a strange place

It has to be kept at a certain temp so the floor doesn't move

The stadium sounds wicked on a day off today back in tomorrow so can't wait to get in there and soak it up