Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Was that better than World Cup1966

Was super Saturday better than that Saturday afternoon in 1966, or the 1968 European Cup Final , or any other British sporting achievement?

Comments

• Options
    Good question. Surely that must be up there with 1966 and 2003, granted they were 'Team England' achievements.
    Today has transcended sport in a way that only 2003 has done in my lifetime.
    Next best would be the Ashes of 81 and 05.

• Options
    I was born long after 1966 but I imagine that England winning the World Cup on home soil against West Germany would have been a bigger 'event' than tonight. Simply because Football is the national sport.

I think that level of jubilation would only be reached again if England ever were to win the World Cup again in future.

However, I do think tonight/the past week has brought back a similar great feeling that the country had in Euro 96. Anyone agree?
  • Options
    In one resounding word: no.
  • Options
    Please...keep taking the media hype pills.
  • Options
    I'll be going alot more mental if we score away at Birmingham in two weeks time.

Last night was great and as involved as I was gettin, I probably won't watch another 10,000m race or long jump competition for 4 years.

I'm not putting a dampner on things cos it really was a great night for British sport, I'm just not gonna get too caught up in the temporary frenzy.
  • Options

Please...keep taking the media hype pills.

'Media hype pills'?

This is the Olympics in case you didn't notice. Whether you like it or not it's the biggest sporting occasion in the world and our team is performing magnificently.
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    Kind of different I suppose. Football is adversarial in a way athletics isn't. You beat an identified single opponent in football, it's not really the same in athletics (although there are exceptions). Last night the fans were booing when Koreans stepped up to take their penalties, which helped underline why football isn't an Olympic sport.

In short, both were great (I'd imagine) but different.
  • Options
    Its only the biggest because they put a load of rubbish sports into it.

The rowing was pretty decent though.
  • Options
    I was there at Wembley in '66 and tbh for me it was a bit like the POF in that the match was so dramatic (and with extra time) that after the game I felt done in. Later on, watching the highlights on TV it all started to register. Don't get me wrong, the stadium was rocking but '98 was louder, better and for me meant more.
    29 May 68 was my 21st birthday and we were out for a few drinks. Caught up with the game later with amongst others a true (Mancunian) Utd fan and all in all it was a good night.
  • Options
    MattD said:

I think that's entirely disrespectful. Many people enjoy those sports. Some of our athletes are incredibly dedicated and get no publicity until the Olympics. We instead focus our attention on overpaid and over hyped prima donnas who let us down. The people on our screens at the moment work ridiculously hard for very little because they genuinely care what they are doing and are much more grateful when thousands turn up to support them. I would much rather they represented my country than the losers who turnt up in Ukraine and Poland this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MattD said:

I think that's entirely disrespectful. Many people enjoy those sports. Some of our athletes are incredibly dedicated and get no publicity until the Olympics. We instead focus our attention on overpaid and over hyped prima donnas who let us down. The people on our screens at the moment work ridiculously hard for very little because they genuinely care what they are doing and are much more grateful when thousands turn up to support them. I would much rather they represented my country than the losers who turnt up in Ukraine and Poland this summer.

very well said mate
  • Options
    Carlisle was better.
  • Options

Carlisle was better.

this
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I was born long after 1966 but I imagine that England winning the World Cup on home soil against West Germany would have been a bigger 'event' than tonight. Simply because Football is the national sport.

I think that level of jubilation would only be reached again if England ever were to win the World Cup again in future.

However, I do think tonight/the past week has brought back a similar great feeling that the country had in Euro 96. Anyone agree?

Without doubt what happened last night is the biggest sporting triumph the country has known even bigger than 1966, if we were ever to win the the World Cup again then it would be bigger but to be honest I do not see us winning the world cup again

• Options
    Of course football is our national game and '66 was a big big deal - " At Wembley Stadium Germany were defeated at England's national sport, having twice already been beaten by England at their own " - but there was not the intensity that there is now, and certainly not the hype, and there have so far passed 46 years of failure since, adding to the excitement if we were ever to do it again.
  • Options
    lol comparing winning the world cup with yesterday,shocking
  • Options
    I don't think I'd swap what I experienced last night for a England World Cup win. I never thought I'd ever say that, but the atmosphere, the inclusivity, the emotion and passion from all is something I've never experienced at any football match. Including at Wembley in '98.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Kind of different I suppose. Football is adversarial in a way athletics isn't. You beat an identified single opponent in football, it's not really the same in athletics (although there are exceptions). Last night the fans were booing when Koreans stepped up to take their penalties, which helped underline why football isn't an Olympic sport.

In short, both were great (I'd imagine) but different.

So boxing isn't an Olympic sport either? I was at the boxing on Friday night and there was lots of booing going on.
  • Options
    As there was at the Volleyball...
  • Options
    Boxing and Tennis, sometimes Cycling - all facing identified single opponents.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And volleyball, water polo, basketball, beach volleyball, hockey, quite a few SE9 to be fair
  • Options
    Was there last night and it was just amazing. The noise was deafening. I was not alive in 66 but it it without doubt the best sporting event I have ever been to or seen
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more the title of this thread just shocks me.
  • Options
    Why ISSS?
  • Options
    I agree with Nolly and ISSS. Great night's sport but seriously, winning 3 golds is better than winning the World Cup?? No way.

• Options

I agree with Nolly and ISSS. Great night's sport but seriously, winning 3 golds is better than winning the World Cup?? No way.

I don't really no what its like to win the World Cup as I wasn't around, but obviously it was more expected and also just 1 event. I still think the World Cup would edge it but we were a quality side back then and it wouldn't be as suprising as now. Also, as I said, it was just 1 sport. Last night, it was 1 sport but 3 different events. Ennis was big favourite but had to deliver, Farah was fancied but still performed amazingly and Rutherford was a total shock. Added to 3 golds during the day just made it such a special night which is why it will have to go down as one of the best night ever in British sport.

• Options
    WSS said:

Why ISSS?

Well mate, I suppose it's just about opinions really isn't it?

Perhaps I was a bit hasty, and if you were in the stadium last night watching the action unfold, then it probably was quite something. Especially as 90% of those inside wanted the British athletes to win. The atmosphere was out of this world, so I'm told.

But for me, nothing will ever beat the World Cup, short of us doing it again. I mean, England won the Rugby World Cup in 2003, less than a decade ago, and it's rarely talked about these days. I'm a rugby fan as well as football, but cannot imagine that the euphoria that swept the nation following Wilkinson's drop-kick was anything like the celebrations of '66. Like it or not (but surely the majority of us do!), football is the most popular sport in the country. Probably always will be. So comparing a few Golds to winning the most sought after prize (internationally anyway), in the world's most popular sport is a very naive thing to do.

Let's not forget we've held the Olympics on these lands before - twice. Most people didn't know that before the run up to the 2012 Games. I think the feel-good factor of our success this year, will wear quicker than most anticipate. By contrast, fourty-six years after we beat West Germany 4-2 at Wembley, people up and down the country still reminisce or refer to it.

That's the reason for my view. Whether people agree with it or not, at least I've explained my thinking!

• Options
    Fair enough there, makes sense.

I was there last night though and as a club over country man myself, last night was better than a lot (all) I've experienced with Charlton. Then again, I've always been a big athletics fan so that would help.

There is no chance I'm a bigger Team GB fan than Charlton but in terms of atmosphere and emotion I simply can't see it being beaten from my point of view. I feel so honoured and proud to have been there last night - if I get to experience anything like that again live then I'll be absolutely astounded.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    WSS said:

Fair enough there, makes sense.

I was there last night though and as a club over country man myself, last night was better than a lot (all) I've experienced with Charlton. Then again, I've always been a big athletics fan so that would help.

There is no chance I'm a bigger Team GB fan than Charlton but in terms of atmosphere and emotion I simply can't see it being beaten from my point of view. I feel so honoured and proud to have been there last night - if I get to experience anything like that again live then I'll be absolutely astounded.

Glad you enjoyed yourself mate.

Yeah just comes down to personal preference doesn't it really. Personally I'm one of those people who gets involved in the Olympics and Wimbledon when they're on, BUT I'm not ever aware of what's going on in the athletics/tennis world for the rest of the year. It's just a casual interest for me, though success does seem to breed patriotism, so maybe that will in-turn generate more future interest.

This might sound bizarre but on the subject of emotion and passion - did you go to Carlisle? Genuinely interested. For me, I'd say that's one of the most emotional experiences in my life! After all we've been through in recent seasons, to have not only some closure - but also some progress - was a tremendous feeling. Don't think I've felt more proud to be an Addick, singing with the rest of the boys some 300 miles up the road with the players joining in in front of us.

But as I say, everyone's different ain't they!?
  • Options
    But ISSS you are comparing a world.cup win as a modern day football fan compared to a 1966 football fan.

I haven't a clue either, becuase I wasn't around either, but I think you are imagining what it was like to win a world cup now compared to then.

Now I think you would imagine a huge media build up, wall to wall coverage, pubs with big screens, public big screens put up, etc etc.

Then, all you would get to do was watch it on some ones probably black and white telly, it was an afternoon ko so all pubs would have been closed, in terms of media coverage you would have had to wait until news at ten and then the next days paper to read about it.

I imagine there simply wasn't the intensity and tribalism in those days attached to what football holds today.

So would last night compare to England winning the World Cup now ? No.

Would yesterdays sporting achievement compare favorably to 1966 in terms of viewer coverage, sporting achievement and excitement ? Possibly yes.