Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Badminton

Was lucky enough to get tickets for the Mens Singles final ( China beat Malaysia) and the Mens Doubles Final ( China beat Denmark) at Wembley Arena , i have never been to a sporting event with such a raucous atmosphere , it was mental!!

Wish we could get as good as the Chinese , but i guess you can't win 'em all as they say.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I watched the mens final earlier - love a bit of badmintion.

I thought the Malaysian fella was gonna do it, up until the Chinese bloke went mental at the line judges call and got it overturned. From there he went on a bit of a run and that was that.

I bet it's amazing to watch live. So fast.
  • Options
    We got given a couple of Malaysian flags by a group of Malaysian guys sitting behind is , they were desperate for people to cheer them on ... and we did!

I don't know how they continually ( with ease) got each others smashes back , didn't realise that a smash in badminton travels at over 200 mph!
  • Options
    I once read that a smash in badminton is one of the fastest travelling things in sport - don't know if that's true.

Obviously the shuttle slows down very quickly - that's what it's designed to do - but you're right that it starts off at around 200mph. Well, when the pros do it it does anyway!
  • Options
    I think when i was growing up as a kid they always used to have the badminton on really late at night , and we never had any role models i can think of , i play badminton every week ( i'm not very good) but wish it would take off over here.
  • Options
    My old man used to play a lot - pretty decent level too.

I think there's a fairly active club/social scene over here, but it's mainly seen as an old persons sport. Shame really, because played properly it's nothing like how you remember it at school.

• Options
    Not as fast as squash D.
  • Options
    Boom said:

Not as fast as squash D.

Fastest squash shot - around 170 mph.
    Fastest badminton shot - around 200 mph.

Oh, and you can't let it bounced in badminton.
  • Options
    I am looking to get back into badminton having played for a few years now!