Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anybody been on holiday to Cambodia Vietnam or Laos?

TELTEL
edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Was think of going to Thailand for Xmas, but then someone suggested Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos.......we arent looking for anything remotely Xmasy...we like history culture and beautiful scenery, beaches but not into laying on them all day...anyone have any experiences or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    The Dead Kennadys
  • Options
    Lived in Laos for a few months.
    I would recommend Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
  • Options
    Went to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Cambodia. Both excellent places, obviously Phnom Penh is very moving but still an amazing experience.

Also found the Cambodians to be the nicest, friendly bunch of people out of anyone I experienced on all my travels round Australia and South-East Asia.
  • Options
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/48692/cambodia-any-experience

Was a recent discussion recently should be useful.
  • Options
    In November 2010, we went on a two-week tour of Vietnam: HCMC/Saigon, Mekong, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi and Halong Bay. We don't usually do organised tours but I think this (Wendy Wu) was the best way to see the highlights across the whole country.
  • Options
    In September I'm moving to Kunming, China, which is a train journey away from all 3 countries.

Can't wait.
  • Options

In September I'm moving to Kunming, China, which is a train journey away from all 3 countries.

Can't wait.

Sounds good Stu...lived in Singapore for 18 months, a great base to see some of SE Asia....
  • Options
    All of these place have a lot going for them. Out of the three though the one that covers most things best is Vietnam. Hanoi and HCMC are great vibrant cities, both lots of culture, history and some fantastic food and hotels. Outside of Hanoi is the beautiful Halong Bay - stunning on a clear day, and worth paying more for an exclusive boat to get away from all the tourists. In the center is Hue city and Danang, beaches around here are quality, with well priced resorts. HCMC is a vibrant and clean city and good Vietnam war sites.'
  • Options
    Off to Cambodia on Friday for a few days.

Thailand has got very spoilt over the past few years though there are still quiet places but all the major resorts will be overrun at Christmas plus the prices go up, sometimes horrendously if you are after higher class accommodation.

Laos alone won't have enough to keep you occupied for a longer time but combine it with either or both the others if you have time. Ho Chi Minh, for example, is not a long bus ride from Phnom Penh.

Myanmar will open up over the next few years and could become a very exciting destination.
  • Options
    spent a few months going to all three. Vietnam probably the most interesting, but all are good. Bangkok Dave lists some good places, and I recommend Dalat as well. quite high up, and you can do day trips to meet the hill tribes. also, check out nha trang for a resort-y town and hoi an
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im off to Vietnam for the first time, early next year, cannot wait ;-)
  • Options
    I enjoyed Laos, Luang Prabang has a lot of interesting temples, while Vientiene is the most peaceful capital city I've ever been to, and has a lovely location by the Mekong. you can reach it by an overnight train from Bangkok, which stops near the border
  • Options
    Thanks for the info chaps, will make some notes and plan our trip. Thanks for the heads up on the other discussion thread Bren.
  • Options
    I spend alot of time in Vietnam mainly for business and have been to Hanoi and Ho chi Minh 6 times this year. There is a big contrast between the two, HCMC is alot more open, not sure that is a good thing. As capital cities, and you have to look at HCMC as another capital really both are very cheap compared to the rest of Asia.

If you are into Art, Vietnam is a great place to buy oil paintings, I just bought 2 Roy Lichtenstein paintings for 90us, great copies, look great on the walls.