Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics - Britains Olympic Gold Medal Count... Put into Perspective.

I was trying to do a bit of digging (and not to take the shine off whats currently happening with Britain at the current Olympics) to see how successful we are compared to other Olympics we've competed at, as i didn't have a clue of how well / bad we were doing comparatively.

In 1908 we got 56 goals , i didn't realise how bad we were in the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_1908_Summer_Olympics

If you click on Summer games ( on the right) it shows you how many medals from each Olympics were won.

Comments

• Options
    This thing on the BBC is very good as well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/olympic-powers
  • Options
    Fascinating stuff , thanks for posting this.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In 1908 , 22 nations took part , & In 1948 only 59 nations took part , now i think its over 200?
  • Options
    They said on the coverage that in 1908 two thirds of the competitors were British, there is no comparison.
  • Options

They said on the coverage that in 1908 two thirds of the competitors were British, there is no comparison.

The tug of war was won by the British police, runner up was the British police and the bronze went to the police also.
  • Options

The tug of war was won by the British police, runner up was the British police and the bronze went to the police also.
    Trouble is GA i don't know whether you are joking or not? :-0

• Options

Trouble is GA i don't know whether you are joking or not? :-0

1London City Police-1GBR Gold

2Liverpool Police Team-2 GBR Silver

3 K Division Metropolitan Police Team-3 GBR Bronze

4 Sweden SWE

5 United States USA

• Options
    But apparently Sweden upped themselves in 1912 when the Stockholm police won gold!
  • Options
    The police are now practicing for the relay, as they are handy with the baton :-)
  • Options
    56 goals?! who were we playing!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mparsons1 said:

British Police

• Options
    mparsons1 said:

Aggh well spotted , just seeing if you were awake! :-0

I know i was half asleep when i originally posted!