Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birthday present for a 9 year old boy? Suggestions please.

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
My youngest son will be 9 years old on monday and Im not sure what to get him. He's not overly sporty(though he loves going to the valley) and enjoys watching films/tv, music and playing on the ps3. I do take him and his brother to the park to play football/tennis and he likes a game of crazy golf but he prefers playing on the swings and slides. He already has an ipod and shares a ps3 with his brother.
I did consider getting him a cheap tablet but it obviously wouldnt measure up to my ipad which he goes on when staying at my house. My budget is £150(£200 max). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    a day out at Thorpe Park?
  • Options
    Diggerland?
  • Options
    Bought my daughter her first electric guitar at that age
  • Options
    When we go to Diggerland we stay 2 nights at the Holiday inn in Chatham and make a weekend of it. Nice swimming pool etc. Usually works out at £150 ish.
  • Options
    Experiences vs. Physical goods

Interesting question
  • Options
    Season ticket
  • Options
    A bike?
  • Options
    You don't want to encourage him to take tablets at this age
  • Options
    A decent bike or maybe his own camera if he is visually creative.
  • Options

Experiences vs. Physical goods

Interesting question

experiences everytime, luckily my 9 year old love travel so we go places and do things. I think it's makes kids more confident.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if he likes crazy golf then why not take it a step up and take him up a driving range to whack some balls with his old man?... might just be the sport for him and not expensive or got to worry about getting him clubs and that as you can hire them, then if he likes that the present could then answer itself (ie. golf clubs, starter sets are around your budget)?

just an idea like.
  • Options
    MGP Scooter - start at just over the £100 mark. My son loves his!
  • Options
    Yep, a stunt scooter. My 2 have just got one and they're never off em. I paid £80 each for em from ebay.
  • Options
    Take him into London for the day on his own and have some time together doing boy's things (London Eye, etc) - presents soon get forgotten, but invaluable time like that he (and you) will never forget. Kids are grown up before you know it, so make the most of it. My son is now fully independent (but not grown up!) and he wants us to still have days out like that.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Stick clear of computer stuff. At 9 he really needs to be doing outside stuff.

I agree that a stunt scooter is a decent choice. You can get a really decent one for around £100. Get him a helmet and some spare bearings and that will use up most of your budget.

If not, then I agree that "experiences" presents are great. Thorpe Park is a great suggestion. Legoland is pretty decent as well. If you go to London, the Eye, The London Dungeons, a riverboat trip, the Tower of London, the Natural History Museum/Science Museum are places that spring to mind. I have taken my Lad to all of these things. In the end its these experiences they will remember much more than the latest gadget.

There is always a Charlton Season Ticket.
  • Options
    PaulCAFC said:

Take him into London for the day on his own and have some time together doing boy's things (London Eye, etc) - presents soon get forgotten, but invaluable time like that he (and you) will never forget. Kids are grown up before you know it, so make the most of it. My son is now fully independent (but not grown up!) and he wants us to still have days out like that.

This

• Options
    Skateboard would be good.
  • Options
    Scalextrix or a railway set?
  • Options
    I take both my boys on plenty of days out as a matter of course, cinema 20-30 times a year, tennis/park 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, we have been season ticket holders at the valleyfor the past 2 seasons , been to the wrestling at the O2 the last 2 years and Ive taken them to London on numerous occassions. Im pretty much as hands on a father as I can be considering that I dont live with their mother and the hours I work can vary quite a lot from week to week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A 2021 subscription to Spearmint Rhino. ;0)
  • Options
    If he likes the Harry Potter books\films the Studio experience in Hertfordshire is a good day out. My daughter loved it.
  • Options
    Planet Hollywood, Madam Tusauds, Duck Tours , all in London , sorted.
  • Options
    razil said:

Bought my daughter her first electric guitar at that age

Yes! Thats how old I was when i got my first guitar. Loved it.
    Or a mini drum set. I had one of those too.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Birmingham away? / Any Charlton away game.

Wembley Stadium tour / England v Ukraine World Cup Qualifier in September
    www.thefa.com

Trip to the Theatre or Howletts Zoo
  • Options
    Hey Tennis, I'm in a similar situation to you. My daughter is 6 and a half now, I divorced her Mum when she was 2. I have this dilemma every year come birthdays and Christmas, just never know what to get her.

She's got everything a kid could wish for. I think personally, a special day out he would remember. When the kids look back a their childhood, they'll always remember the experiences they had rather materials things that they had in their possession.

Some good ideas above.

I gave my daughter one of my old digital cameras and she loves taking her camera everywhere with her now, getting people to pose for her then we upload the pics to the PC afterwards. Nice to record the memories.
  • Options
    One of these:

And one of these:

• Options
    Year subscription to four four two or match magazine(s) if you do get really stuck. Used to love those!
  • Options
    Stig said:

One of these:

And one of these:

Great idea. He can give Adrian a hand.
  • Options
    I've got a 9 year old grandson who's birthday comes up soon and I've bought him an iTunes card. They come in various values,.