Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What should I do with my life?

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
I have just started a new job I hate, applying for other jobs but feel abit down beat. I am young enough to do anything and feel I need to do something different. any thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    If work was enjoyable it'd be called play.
  • Options
    Retrain for a career that you feel will be fulfilling. Hard in the short term but better than hopping from one horrible job to the next.
  • Options

Retrain for a career that you feel will be fulfilling. Hard in the short term but better than hopping from one horrible job to the next.

Yep

• Options
    big question.

Do with your life or what job to do? Not the same things.

Suggest you think about what you want out of a job? Could be lots of different thing such as huge wealth, status, easy to do, local, enough to get by, travel, make a difference, physical challenge, learn new skills, use languages, meet people, avoid people, lots of variety, etc, etc, etc.

then narrow it down to the three most important. Then you have a benchmark to test each possible career path.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Worst.advise.ever.

You will find you do so much better at a job you actually enjoy. Being stuck in a job you hate would be awful, of course, if it's all that is available then you have to stick with it, however if there is an option to do something you will enjoy (a job like this must exist for everyone) then you should jump at the chance.
  • Options
    Just started and already want to jack it in? There's plenty out there who will gladly fill your boots young man. Stick at it. Show your metal. After 32 years you could be just like me, wishing you had joined the Foreign Legion or done a ten stretch for armed robbery when there was enough time.
  • Options
    Do any job that helps others.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Worst.advise.ever.

You will find you do so much better at a job you actually enjoy. Being stuck in a job you hate would be awful, of course, if it's all that is available then you have to stick with it, however if there is an option to do something you will enjoy (a job like this must exist for everyone) then you should jump at the chance.
    Stu - are you teaching the Chinese English?
  • Options
    Teaching is a bit of a stretch if I'm honest.

I teach oral English, which basically means I sit and talk to my students about whatever I want correcting their pronunciation etc.

The job I start in September will be more actual proper teaching, so a little more rewarding I hope.
  • Options
    I drove a cab for 20 years and loved it up until about 5 years ago, 2 years ago I started my own business which is going well and finally last month knocked the cabbing on the head. Money is tight at the moment but I'm loving what I'm doing now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Woodsywood

What are your strengths and interests ? Are you practical, academic, caring, money mad ? None of us are the same and there will be something for you that makes working life at least barable and not filled with the dread you have of it now. Some good decisions now could make all the difference. Doing nothing would be a shame.
  • Options
    Join a commune,have free wild sex everyday and smoke the herb.It won't make you any money but you will have a good time.
  • Options
    How about becoming a private investigator? You could hunt down people's long lost old flames, solving adrian's problem in the process
  • Options
    Move to Australia. Better weather, better opportunities.
  • Options

But lots of Australians.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    dickplumb said:

Join a commune,have free wild sex everyday and smoke the herb.It won't make you any money but you will have a good time.

Nah, I did this and it was a f****ng nightmare actually, and I wished I'd spent my time doing a masters instead.

• Options

I have just started a new job I hate, applying for other jobs but feel abit down beat. I am young enough to do anything and feel I need to do something different. any thoughts ?

You need to ask yourself a few questions. Why do you hate it mate? Is it that you hate getting up in the morning? Which is understandable but difficult to avoid, or is it that you don't get on with your colleagues, which means look for another team or look at your own team skills, or is it the actual type of work or the field you are in in which case retraining would be indicated. A bit of honesty with yourself needed. If it's that you are struggling with the discipline of turning up to work every day is it that it's a bit new to you, in which case you get used to it, or is it that you are sick of the same old stuff?

You get one life and you need to be able to put your heart into it. Life's too short to do something you genuinely hate.

• Options
    Weigh up the pro and cons

Is the job paying you enough to have a decent life away from work where you can afford to live and do the things you want

Is it the hours that restrict you from doing what would make you happy

I accept in an ideal world we would all do jobs we love but life ain't like that in a few weeks the Olympics will be over and I may well hate the job I am in and I will be in the same position as all my work In this job was geared to these weeks of sport

I will be asking the same questions and making a informed choice based on

Work life balance to which I have had none

Money

Stress

Journey times

The work life balance being the key one for me

Does it offer enough for me to lead the life I want
  • Options

The weather's only better if you like more rain than we get. (I'm excluding Perth and all the uninhabitable desert bits of course! But then Perth is too hot to work in anyway.)
  • Options
    Volunteer and go and help the poor in Africa, find yourself while you have that luxury
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do a job that isn't exactly what I though I'd be doing, don't get me wrong it's okay but I definitely work to live. I think the key thing is you always need to have something to look forward to, I always make sure I have plenty of stuff planned in advance; gigs, sporting events, city breaks, holidays etc. To make sure I'm not bored in the week over the last few years I've taken up playing the drums, learning guitar, learning Italian (badly) and now I cycle regularly (although obviously easier to do in summer light).

Even if I get bored at work I always have those things to look forward to which makes it a lot easier.
  • Options
    Enjoy it. You never know whats round the corner.
  • Options
    Find a way to work for yourself, wish I'd done it twenty years ago instead of spending the last twenty years hating what I was doing.
  • Options
    I'm sort of in the same situation (sorry to hijack the thread!)

Don't hate my job, but don't really want to do it for the next 40 years either. Like Whitstable that I'll hopefully be living in again soon, but there aren;t many jobs around here.

Selling a place I had with my ex, and will really have a choice then for the first time I can remember (due to needing to earn to pay various things).

Trying to decide whether to do a TEFL course or similar, use it to travel, or whether to settle down and buy a place with the present Mrs Neil in Whitstable, which we both love (lived there for two years recently).

Think my age comes into it too, I'm 28 (and a half) so probably older than most who'd choose travelling.

Trying to decide whether to go for it before it's too late, but then maybe miss out on my chance of being a happy family, kids to follow, a life in a place I like, etc

Or staying and having that, but then maybe losing the chance to do something different and maybe getting stuck in insurance for ever, and end up regretting it.

• Options
    Voluntary Service Overseas - VSO
    I worked (on local wages, in Laos) for these guys a few years ago - cant recommend them highly enough.
    An experience you wont forget, with a feelgood factor and would look great on your CV.
    http://www.vso.org.uk/volunteer/
  • Options
    @creepyaddick out of interest what is your current business?
  • Options
    The other thing in my case is getting a job if/when I came back!
  • Options
    Welcome to the real world. Most jobs get a bit dull over time.
    Going to work is a state of mind try and have positive thoughts.
  • Options

The other thing in my case is getting a job if/when I came back!

Something that worries me a fair amount.

Not coming back could work though :-)