Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics Handball

Exciting match between Spain and South Korea right now.

29-29 in extra time!

Comments

• Options
    Yes Len, good stuff. S.Korea robbed by the buzzer (reminiscent of Clive Thomas & Brazil).
  • Options
    To be honest, I watched a few matches and it wasn't as exciting as I thought it might be. Was a bit disappointed.

Reminded me of basketball with each team taking a turn to attack, except the defence just stands there on the edge of the D as the attacking team can't go inside.

Very popular game elsewhere though, so I guess I'm in a minority.
  • Options
    We were there and really enjoyed the game. I think if we had more exposure to handball (and to a few other sports), it would grow on us. Although you can read the rules in a few minutes, it takes a while to tune into the culture of the sport.

One thing the Olympics has definitely done for me is to widen my appreciation of other sports beyond football, football and tennis. I wonder if that interest will last or will it hibernate for another four years?!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Handball is the 2nd largest sport in Denmark. It's got this provincial town image and it seems like half the spectators are 14 year old girls. Every time a goal is scored, teen pop is blasting out of the speakers.
    The manager of OB Odense (my local Danish football team), also described it pretty well, a couple of years ago:
    'Handball is for me like a stag night activity like paintball and skydiving.
    I saw one minute of the European Championship final, but never found out who was getting married.
    Handball is a shoddy sport, which only consists of set pieces.'
  • Options
    Went to the final today - France v Sweden - the atmosphere was mental. The French were doing their version of the bouncy-bouncy outside while waiting for the arena to open and they continued for the full hour before kick-off. The Swedes were equally as noisy with less numbers.
    As we don't play Handball, it's unlikely we'll have another game of this standard on British soil. The game itself was a great spectacle in a cauldron of noise. A great way to end the Olympics , just a shame the French won.
  • Options
    I like how somw of the coaches look like they are showing their tactics on an etch-a-sketch.