Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sid Waddell RIP

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Died aged 72. Legend gone.

Comments

• Options
    Indeed...RIP
  • Options
    The Voice of Darts: RIP
  • Options
    Totally unique style. Has anyone else ever got so excited over darts? Sad news.
  • Options
    absolute hero. Loved his commentary of that moment when I was there when Taylor got the two nine daters
  • Options
    Loved his commentaries ,my favourite was when he described Jocky Wilson as a great athlete. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP - he also wrote the TV show Jossy's Giants.
  • Options
    Some Sid Waddell quotes:

'When Lowe gets back to Clay Cross there'll be a reception like Ayatollah Khomeini had hit town'
    'Jocky Wilson, all the psychology of a claymore.
    As Freud said to Jung in Vienna, you can psych up too much for a darts match.
    'Cliff Lazarenko's idea of exercise is a strong pull on a soda siphon.'
    Commentating on Eric Bristow "The congregation is restless and the High Priest is at the oche"
    "When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer... Bristow's only 27."
    "We couldn't have more excitement if Elvis walked in and asked for a chip sandwich."
    "Bristow reasons . . . Bristow quickens ... Aaah, Bristow."
    "Bob came on like the Laughing Cavalier..now he looks like Lee Van Cleef on a bad night"
    'Wade is like a man trying to eat candy floss in a Hadron Collider.'
    "He's not just an underdog, he's an underpuppy." – Assessment of Keith Deller's chances of winning the 1983 Embassy World Darts final against Bristow. Deller won.
    "That was like throwing three pickled onions into a thimble."
    "Look at the man go, it’s like trying to stop a water buffalo with a peashooter."
    "He's hitting that lipstick like an outsourced Avon lady"
    "Taylor's opponents appear to be merely cutting with spoons in his wake."
    "As the Liverpool marker said ... You'll never chalk alone" 2012
    'Yesterday...all my doubles seemed so far away...2012
    'Taylor could land a Boeing 747 on a kayak.'2012
    'This Ozzie has more hair than Rapunzel...and is letting it down.'2012
    'This is Sargeant Taylor's Only Darts Club Band...2012
    'I've just left Bon Jovi's dressing room and I'm living ona tungsten prayer.' 2012
  • Options
    Sad loss, he was a great character. RIP Sid.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, rip
  • Options
    RIP Sid...absolute legend...."Jocky Wilson is breathing like a whale in the sea".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible news. Irreplaceable in his field. Very sad. RIP Sid
  • Options
    Fabulous commentator sad loss

Rip Sid you will be hugely missed from a sport you gave so much to
  • Options
    RIP Sid
  • Options
    Darts won't be the same without him. RIP Sid
  • Options
    Absolutley gutted RIP Sid
  • Options
    Great interview with Barry Hearns just now - very heartwarming memories from him and a marvelous tribute. Didn't realise his background til this interview. The son of a Northumberland miner, he attended King Edward VI School, Morpeth, and he went on to obtain a scholarship to St John's College, Cambridge, where he graduated with a 2:1 degree in Modern History. At Cambridge, Waddell played rugby for St Johns, and the Cambridge University LX Club
  • Options
    Very sad news - his commentary made darts compelling viewing for me. RIP
  • Options
    Such sad news. Was a top bloke and cracking commentator. RIP Sid.
  • Options
    Very sad news indeed. Met Sid a few years back at the WDC at the Circus Tavern. Top bloke to talk to but totally bonkers with it. The voice of darts will be sadly missed.
  • Options

Great interview with Barry Hearns just now - very heartwarming memories from him and a marvelous tribute. Didn't realise his background til this interview. The son of a Northumberland miner, he attended King Edward VI School, Morpeth, and he went on to obtain a scholarship to St John's College, Cambridge, where he graduated with a 2:1 degree in Modern History. At Cambridge, Waddell played rugby for St Johns, and the Cambridge University LX Club

Is there any link to that interview mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    RIP Sid a real legend of darts a really nice man who will be truly missed and someone who i had the pleasure of meeting a few times a real gent will miss ya sid
  • Options

heard it on the radio in the car - r5 live - maybe on iplayer?
  • Options

heard it on the radio in the car - r5 live - maybe on iplayer?
    Ok. Cheers
  • Options
    Agree, sad news. Had the pleasure of sharing a ruby with him about ten years ago in Rochester. Rest in noise, you nutter!
  • Options
    I have a favourite piece of commentary from Sid which I have never forgotten: -
    "The fields are ploughed, the opposition is scattered; but there's plenty of good seed on the land, for Bristow"
    Unique!
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Sid.
  • Options
    Had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago at a book launch. Spectacularly friendly, humble and pleasant individual who has always been cast as something of a buffoon by the media. He was well aware of his image and played up to it, but was genuinely knowledgeable and passionate about darts. The world is a poorer place for his absence.
  • Options
    Jake Humphries gave a very affectionate tribute to Sid yesterday which was very moving and highly appropriate well done Jake
  • Options
    The PDC have announced that, in the same way the winner of the World Cup wins the Jules Rimet trophy, the winner of the World Darts Championship will now receive the Sid Waddell trophy. Nice touch