Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I apologise............

I will admit to being one of the many who, 2 months ago, didn't give a flying f**k about the olympics. Today I apologise for this. From watching the opening ceremony, I WAS HOOKED. My biggest regret is not applying for any tickets.

The whole thing has been a huge success, so I tip my hat to all those involved, from the main organisers, right down to the thousands of volunteers, and not forgetting the magnificent efforts from team GB. It has really put the GREAT back into britain, and it's great that we, as a nation, have re-claimed our union jack and are once more proud to fly it. For too long this nation has been afraid to fly the flag, due to right-wing fascist movements who adopted it under false claims.

I was in London yesterday to attend the gig in Hyde park. As we got there nice and early, we went round to buck house/St james' park to take in the atmosphere of the marathon, before wandering around and just "feeling the vibe".

National pride is something we, as a nation should embrace, not shun.

So again, I apologise for being such a pessimist about it all.

It feels GREAT
to live in BRITAIN.

Comments

• Options
    no need to say sorry,its a messageboard not your wife
  • Options
    I wouldn't apologise to that bitch. ;-)
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Agreed with every word.

The cynicism and lack of patriotism among the British in recent years has been a little embarrassing. It is fantastic to have the country showing some real pride in itself for a change.
  • Options
    I wasn't interested either at the outset, but I enjoyed some of the bits that I saw. Especially Nicole Adams winning the boxing and Murray the tennis. That said as soon as the footy season starts, I wont give it a second thought.
    I wont/dont watch any of the sports in the Olympics live, except a bit of boxing and obviously football, so I would not have bought tickets anyway.
  • Options
    Just need to 'educate' many of them the correct way to fly the Union Jack....50% of them I've seen were the wrong way up!!
    Thick white band top left....NOT thin!!!
  • Options
    I find it strange that some people only watch football, to be honest I turn 90% of the games off unless it's Charlton or England. I love all sports and watch pretty much everything
  • Options

Just need to 'educate' many of them the correct way to fly the Union Jack....50% of them I've seen were the wrong way up!!
    Thick white band top left....NOT thin!!!

Do you mean the Union Flag? ;-)

I was the same. I thought it was too much money, too much inconvenience and not worth it. Sadly I didn't get into it that much either. I work from home and have had my son during the holiday so I could have had it on all day. I didn't. Towards the end it dawned on me that I have missed out on a lot of it. I even managed to miss the big races - and I run both 5k and 10k, so I should have watched Mo's two Golds, but I missed them.

On the whole, even though I didn't watch much, of it I think it has been a good thing and the medal haul has lifted spirits across the country and we all forgot that we are in such a tough spot for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    apology accepted.

but let that be a lesson to you and don't do it again.
  • Options

I find it strange that some people only watch football, to be honest I turn 90% of the games off unless it's Charlton or England. I love all sports and watch pretty much everything

I agree except it's 95pc because I dislike watching England.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

I wasn't interested either at the outset, but I enjoyed some of the bits that I saw. Especially Nicole Adams winning the boxing and Murray the tennis. That said as soon as the footy season starts, I wont give it a second thought.
    I wont/dont watch any of the sports in the Olympics live, except a bit of boxing and obviously football, so I would not have bought tickets anyway.

Odd. Because watching the Olympics and the athletes who have sacrificed so much, who have trained so hard and were so professional & dedicated (apart from 1 or 2 ) have just made me dread the forthcoming football season and the over hyped premier league full of arrogant, cheating, foul mouthed footballers.

Apart from Millwall, I think I'm going to try & skip any other football on the box and do something different instead.

I'm going to find it a real shame that after the last 2 weeks we'll all tune in to MOTD next weekend and see the same players crowd the ref, argue, whinge, moan, scream abuse, players & managers lie and the soap opera of football returns.

• Options

So you watch all sports but only 10% of football?
  • Options
    That did make me grin SLL that as a Millwall fan you are worried about foul mouthed footballers.
  • Options
    quite a lot of anti-football people on a football forum
  • Options
    Apology not accepted. ;0)
  • Options
    edited August 2012

quite a lot of anti-football people on a football forum

Could it be that they are not anti football but anti the attitude of (many) footballers?

Two different things.
  • Options
    Or anti what you read in the papers about footballers more like.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Odd. Because watching the Olympics and the athletes who have sacrificed so much, who have trained so hard and were so professional & dedicated (apart from 1 or 2 ) have just made me dread the forthcoming football season and the over hyped premier league full of arrogant, cheating, foul mouthed footballers.

Apart from Millwall, I think I'm going to try & skip any other football on the box and do something different instead.

I'm going to find it a real shame that after the last 2 weeks we'll all tune in to MOTD next weekend and see the same players crowd the ref, argue, whinge, moan, scream abuse, players & managers lie and the soap opera of football returns.

Odd? Not really SLL, time is precious to me, in order of sport I would pay to watch, Football (Charlton only), MotoGP/WSB, Boxing. I cant think of another sport that I would pay to watch. I will watch loads of football and other sports on TV, just not important enough for me to take the time to attend. Other sports dont do any thing for me, that doesnt mean I cant understand the sacrifices made by the competitors, but when all said and done there is nothing like going to football (with all the faults you list above) and supporting your team, even if its Millwall ;o)
  • Options
    Nice one Tango, it takes a big man etc...

Most of the anti brigade have just gone very, very quiet.

Whilst I won't stop watching football ( its part of my job, anyway ), I agree with SLL's sentiments regarding footballers.
  • Options
    I'm happy to admit that I am the same as Tango - after being forced by the missus to watch the opening ceremony, I was hooked for the whole fortnight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well played tangoflash.

It takes a real man to name himself after a combo of a teeth-rotting fizzy drink and multi-purpose household cleaner, but to add a picture of morph into the bargain is proper hero territory.
    I salute you sir!
    ;o)
  • Options

Union 'Jacks' are flown ONLY from ships.

Union 'Flags', the right way up, can be waved to your hearts delight from anywhere.

There is no 'top left' or 'top right'. The thick white band is the uppermost on the flag pole. Imagine, if you will, viewing the flag from either side of the flag pole. From one side it will appear to be top left and from the other top right.

I Thank You.

• Options
    Watching some of the Community Shield and seeing the usual suspects of Cole and Terry harassing the referee and the new signing Hazard throwing himself to the ground at every opportunity actually left a sour taste in the mouth.

Martin Tyler even referenced it in commentary that now was the perfect time for football to 'do right'......fat chance of that happening.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i absolutely love people acting like arseholes on a football pitch. adds to the entertainment, especially when you're there. only so much nicey nicey sports i can take.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

That did make me grin SLL that as a Millwall fan you are worried about foul mouthed footballers.

haha especially as in the stands I'm prone to shouting abuse at players. But if I'm playing then I play properly, not in the refs face or constant running verbal battles. When I read the Terry/Ferdinand exchanges it was just embarrassing for football and I'm losing interest in the top level of the game.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Odd? Not really SLL, time is precious to me, in order of sport I would pay to watch, Football (Charlton only), MotoGP/WSB, Boxing. I cant think of another sport that I would pay to watch. I will watch loads of football and other sports on TV, just not important enough for me to take the time to attend. Other sports dont do any thing for me, that doesnt mean I cant understand the sacrifices made by the competitors, but when all said and done there is nothing like going to football (with all the faults you list above) and supporting your team, even if its Millwall ;o)
    Think you missed my point. I wasn't saying it was odd that you won't go and watch a modern pentahlon event somewhere, but that it's odd that once the football season starts you won't give the Olympics a second thought.

When to me, watching these athletes will stick in my memory for a bit longer as all that should be good about sport which some footballers don't even attempt to replicate.

• Options

Greenie said:

agreed. Gonna be a big come down after a great couple of weeks. Don't pay much attention to the prem at all these days. united or city who's gonna win the league? bores me
  • Options
    I feel as guilty as you Tango.
    I was under the impression my business was going to suffer for the whole of August.
    Parking restrictions, Olympic lanes, security checks and the horrendous traffic jams.
    In the lead up to the games I was getting increasingly agitated at the thought of trade being strangled.

To top it all we were involved in the refurbishment of the building that was to be used as the temporary morgue if terrorists
    attacked one of the stadiums, With the army on standby to erect bubble tents for accomodating 1000 bodies within hours
    on the grounds outside and a plan in place to shut down the road network to facilitate the vehicles tranporting the
    corpses. Opinion appeared that not if an attack would happen but when. The thought of attending an event felt like
    playing russian roulette. This contingency plan had to be put in place and to a few of us didn't instill confidence as to the progression of the games.

I must say the parking hasn't been a problem, the olympic lanes haven't been used and there was less traffic on the
    roads during the olympics than there is on Christmas day and best of all the refurbished building never needed to be used.

I enjoyed every minute of the games and now wished it had lasted longer.