Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Train fares

Just announced that inflation has gone up....bad news for commuters and travellers in general, train fares going up at the start of January can go up at the inflation rate + an extra % depending on circumstances and wether the government agrees.

Comments

• Options
    another train thread lol
  • Options
    I'll get me coat/anorak....and flask.
  • Options
    oh goodie. Maybe my current £ 4,708 ticket from Battle will exceed 5k. Deep joy.
  • Options
    5K Christ on a bike!
  • Options

5K Christ on a bike!

New Olympic sport?
  • Options
    Bloody hell...that's expensive Large....done the commute from Brighton when we lived there..06-07 and used to pay 310 pound a month...glad we don't commute from Hastings.
  • Options
    Blimey large I thought mine was bad

At least in kent you get the option of a coach my option is a pushbike or buying another car

Either option doesn't suit the city lifestyle hic
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    What hacks me off is that they keep saying the above-inflation increases are to pay for future improvements.
    So, would you pay a 5 star hotel tariff to stay in a 1 star hotel? Or first class fares for economy class travel on an airline? Just so that a future customer could benefit from an upgraded room or aircraft. Of course not. The lines/trains should be upgraded first and then people should be charged for the new improved service.
  • Options
    I really think they should bring back the different classes for train travel. I don't commute and only use trains when popping up town on a rare occasion, but would be happy to travel in a cattle truck for the short journey and half the price..............................
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

What hacks me off is that they keep saying the above-inflation increases are to pay for future improvements.
    So, would you pay a 5 star hotel tariff to stay in a 1 star hotel? Or first class fares for economy class travel on an airline? Just so that a future customer could benefit from an upgraded room or aircraft. Of course not. The lines/trains should be upgraded first and then people should be charged for the new improved service.

Very good point. Once upon a time shareholders stumped up the cash, then eventually got a return on their investment. Now it seems to be acceptable that they take a big fat salary or divi, and their customers pay for the improvements that will further increase the big fat salary or divi in the future. Why are we putting up with this?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

oh goodie. Maybe my current £ 4,708 ticket from Battle will exceed 5k. Deep joy.

Try £4,992 a year :-(

• Options

I guess it depends on whether it includes tube/busses....either way not cheap.
  • Options

I guess it depends on whether it includes tube/busses....either way not cheap.
    That does include a 1-6 travelcard

• Options
    I think its at the point now where I have to seriously consider cycling in everyday.

I'm paying £93 a month to do Z2-4 each day which takes 1hr 5mins, where as this morning I cycled the 13 miles from Welling to Mile End via Tower Bridge in 43 mins.
    Ok, it took me 10 mins to have a shower and get changed but its still quicker door to door by 10 mins.

That £93 would make a hell of a difference to me financially.

The only issue I've got is that I already cycle 150 miles a week without the commute as its my main past time these days. The last thing I want to do is turn it into a chore.
  • Options
    South Eastern from Battle is actually 5k but they sell you a Bexhill to London all routes on Southern and that is £4708. It does include the tube though. Only about £300 cheaper without though.
  • Options

Blimey large I thought mine was bad

At least in kent you get the option of a coach my option is a pushbike or buying another car

Either option doesn't suit the city lifestyle hic

no coach services from East Sussex so option is train or car so no competition really. Got you over a barrel.

• Options

South Eastern from Battle is actually 5k but they sell you a Bexhill to London all routes on Southern and that is £4708. It does include the tube though. Only about £300 cheaper without though.

Do you ever use the Southeastern delay and repay scheme? I got £45 quid off my ticket using that last month.

• Options
    yes, claim every time we can. Since March the wife and I have racked up £60 between us in claims.
  • Options
    Thank god I claim my travel on expenses.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The simple fact of the matter is that privatising a service when there are no alternatives for people to use is rife with the potential for exploitation. Successive administrations have (for better or for worse) made it pretty much impossible to commute into London by car, so using public transport is even more of a fait accompli.

I used to think that, at some point, it had to change as people wouldn't put up with being gouged whilst their salaries had, in real terms, fallen - but in reality, it will never change and we'll continue to get f***ed over because there isn't any alternative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I think its at the point now where I have to seriously consider cycling in everyday.

I'm paying £93 a month to do Z2-4 each day which takes 1hr 5mins, where as this morning I cycled the 13 miles from Welling to Mile End via Tower Bridge in 43 mins.
    Ok, it took me 10 mins to have a shower and get changed but its still quicker door to door by 10 mins.

That £93 would make a hell of a difference to me financially.

The only issue I've got is that I already cycle 150 miles a week without the commute as its my main past time these days. The last thing I want to do is turn it into a chore.

I often think this, however at the weekend I would still use the tube/trains so I reckon I'd end up saving little when all is said and done.
  • Options

I really think they should bring back the different classes for train travel. I don't commute and only use trains when popping up town on a rare occasion, but would be happy to travel in a cattle truck for the short journey and half the price..............................

Most of SouthEasterns are like cattle trucks, particularly the newer ones without a toilet which are great for people with bladder/bowel problems and especially if the train gets stuck between 2 stations for a while!
  • Options
    I'm always tempted to cycle into work but two things put me off. Firstly, there's no shower at work. Secondly, looking at cyclists on the roads these days they all seem to be either homicidal or suicidal. I'm really not sure I want to put my neck on the line every day.
  • Options
    I cycle twice a week to Marble Arch and back from Netherne (past Coulsdon) - 36 mile round trip. On the days I don't cycle all the way I have a five mile round trip to Coulsdon South, so total about 90- miles a week on the bike. You're right about it becoming a chore JohnBoy - the last thing I want to do after that is ride at the weekend for fun. Rizzo's also right - some of the absolute sheer f***ing lunacy and idiocy I see on the road - from drivers and cyclists alike is - positively spine-tingling.
  • Options

I cycle twice a week to Marble Arch and back from Netherne (past Coulsdon) - 36 mile round trip. On the days I don't cycle all the way I have a five mile round trip to Coulsdon South, so total about 90- miles a week on the bike. You're right about it becoming a chore JohnBoy - the last thing I want to do after that is ride at the weekend for fun. Rizzo's also right - some of the absolute sheer f***ing lunacy and idiocy I see on the road - from drivers and cyclists alike is - positively spine-tingling.

Cycling in summer or spring is one thing, cycling in the middle of January in the snow is quite another.
  • Options
    Just got a return from Devon to Leagrave which cost me nearly £80. Also just booked a return to Amsterdam from Luton which cost £60... how is this possible ?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Just got a return from Devon to Leagrave which cost me nearly £80. Also just booked a return to Amsterdam from Luton which cost £60... how is this possible ?

Because there's always an alternative way to get to Amsterdam, whereas the train company knows they've got you by the danglies......................