Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Championship 2012/13 Preview: Sheffield Wednesday

Club: Sheffield Wednesday

Last season’s position: 2nd, League One

Recent history:

In the last 20 years, Wednesday have appeared in both the FA and League Cup finals, as well as finishing third in the top flight. The Owls did this whilst playing at times great football. However they have now spent over a decade outside the top flight, including two spells in the third tier of English football.

Last season saw them in a battle for promotion with Huddersfield Town, Sheffield United and Charlton Athletic. Despite being in contention for automatic promotion, Gary Megson left the Owls and was replaced by Dave Jones. Jones led Wednesday on an excellent run. With a super Charlton team pulling away at the top and Huddersfield falling away, it became apparent that the two Sheffield clubs would battle it out for the one remaining automatic promotion spot. With the season heading for an exciting denouement, United fell away and Wednesday were up.

Manager profile:

Dave Jones became Wednesday manager at the start of March. Jones started his managerial career at Stockport leading them into the Championship and the League Cup semi-finals. He left Stockport for Southampton, but events off the pitch meant that he only managed the club for half a season.

Jones returned to football with Wolverhampton Wanderers. His first full season saw Wolves establish a clear advantage in the automatic promotion places only to blow their lead and fail in the playoffs. The following season saw promotion via the playoffs only for a subsequent relegation. With Wolves not doing well in the second tier of English football Jones was sacked.

Jones went to Cardiff City and led them to two mid table finishes in the second tier, before taking them to the FA cup final. There then followed a near miss to get in the playoffs, and failures in the playoffs in the two subsequent seasons.

Summer transfer activity:

In
Anthony Gardner (Crystal Palace), Chris Maguire (Derby), Joe Matlock (West Brom), Kieran Lee (Oldham), Chris Kirkland (Wigan), Diogo Amado (Uniao Leiria), Nejc Pecnik (CD Nacional), Rhys McCabe (Rangers) and Michail Antonio (Reading)

Out
Jon Ostemobor (MK Dons), Clinton Morrison (Colchester), Rob Jones (Doncaster) and Ryan Lowe (MK Dons)

Expected Line up

Kirkland
Buxton, Llera, Gardner, Reda
Antonio, Semedo, Coke, Johnson
O’Grady, Pecnik

Expected Tactics/Formation

4-4-2

What are the fans saying?

Some are looking at promotion. Most supporters of the Owls are realistically aiming and expecting to stay up and consolidate.

Odds:
22/1 Champions
7/1 Promoted
9/1 Relegation
Paddy Power

Verdict:

Safe, they will not be relegated. However, they will fall short of the playoffs. Dave Jones’ reputation, combined with the ability to sign some players, means that Wednesday should do ok. With patience over a number of seasons, Jones should get them in the playoffs and possibly promoted.

Compiled by: Sheffield Red

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT WEDNESDAY, WE'RE OBSESSED!!!!!

All in seriousness though (after seeing them against Oldham), I don't think they have enough centrally to challenge at the top of the table and their back line looks shaky, especially if Llera and Reda Johnson are to be first choice. Mid table at best for me.
  • Options
    Mid table
  • Options
    With Llera as the first choice CB I think they will struggle.
  • Options
    I can see them struggling. Relegation for me.
  • Options
    Antonio is a cracking signing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the play-offs, Jones knows this league and that experience might tell.
  • Options
    Most likely of promoted clubs to make the playoffs off the back of momentum gained from an exceptional promotion.

Dave Jones is still a cry baby tho.
  • Options
    anyone with Llera in their starting line-up will find it hard

• Options
    Will finish the highest out of the 3 promoted teams last season from league 1