Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

30,000 PL illegal live streams shut down last season

Personally, as a generally law-abiding citizen, I have no qualms about watching Charlton on whatever stream is available. Should I feel guilty?

The Premier League says it shut down more than 30,000 illegal internet streams of its television matches last season.

That works out at more than 75 for every game in the 2011/12 campaign.

The league says streaming is a significant problem and will look to use new anti-piracy laws against the worst offenders.

A report in June warned illegal live TV websites had seen a "rapid rise" over the last year.

The enforcement company NetResult is able to automatically detect the 'fingerprint' of online videos, flagging up those which appear to be the same as live matches.

Tim Cooper from the firm says they aim to shut down 80% of Premier League streams during a match.

A law has been passed meaning illegal downloaders could be sent warning letters and even have their broadband cut off.

Ofcom says it's not yet clear how that applies to streaming, and that no letters will be sent out until 2014.

Comments

• Options
    Fighting a losing battle . They just pop up again every time you shut one down.
  • Options
    Another 40,000 will pop up.
  • Options
    Within 60 seconds
  • Options
    They will never stop it.
  • Options
    No, indeed they wont.
    I just wonder if I should feel guilty when I watch Charlton on one of these streams?
    Does anyone else feel guilty?
  • Options
    Nope . Not at all
  • Options
    I don't either.

Not the right attitude I know but I think they try and f**k us anyway they can with ticket prices, new kits, SKY subscriptions etc so why not!
  • Options
    Not one bit.
  • Options
    I don't feel guilty. I wonder how much revenue they really lose because of streaming? It's not something I do a lot, but if it wasn't there I wouldn't feel the need to buy extra services from Sky.
  • Options
    Don't feel guilty at all, I'm the same as Saga Lout, it's great having the option but if it wasn't there I still wouldn't pay Sky.

I'm sure the advertisers don't mind either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't imagine that too many people who look at stream would bother subscribing to sky in the same way that a lot of poeple who illegally download music wouldn't normally buy it. so yeah, there isn't a lot of revenue lost. I'd feel bad about it personally... but then again I work in the field of Intellectual Property law, so thats just as well!
  • Options
    The only time I stream live football is when it's a charlton game I can't attend. Don't bother with the premiership, happy just to watch the highlights on MOTD.
    But on the occasions I do stream, I certainly feel no guilt what-so-ever.

As for them shutting down these sites, it's like most crimes, that turn into a game of cat & mouse. They will develop software to track them and the offenders will then develop software to counter-act this, and so it goes on............................................
  • Options
    I tell you who were red hot on upholding their copyright, the Olympic mob.

Anytime someone had some London 2012 footage online the IOC had it down very sharpish.
  • Options
    Yes, I noticed that - I wonder if its the same team who put 100 tickets up for the 1 million people waiting for returns! I guess it is as you say an IOC thing as opposed to a LOCOG responsibility.

Though at the events I noticed they were very relaxed about T shirt slogans etc, contrary to what we were told to expect by the papers.
  • Options
    It's hard to feel too sorry for companies that gladly rip customers off. I threatened to leave Virgin and got a much better deal to stay - know of people with Sky who got the same. These companies maximise profits and have nothing but contempt for loyal customers. I pay for Sky sports but if a Charlton game is on a stream that isn't on Sky I'll try to watch it and not feel guilty about it. Who is being harmed?
  • Options
    Mind you, we are not often on a stream - I missed the Sporting Lisburn one becuase I was watching the darts at the valley and the last Charlton stream I can remember was Leeds away a good few years back! Maybe we will be on more this season.
  • Options
    I have no qualms about watching Charlton on a stream.

If I lived in the UK I would have a season ticket and as long as the copyright situation means I can't get Sky legally over here I will continue to do so.

At least until Charlton are in the Premiership, when I can watch the matches live on Sky Germany :o) .