Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The League Cup - What would you do?

Wanted to start up a discussion about the League Cup & what people think should be done with it.

I didn't go Tuesday night as I knew CP would put out a relatively weak side. It seems that a hell of a lot of clubs are not particularly interested in the competition & see it as more of a distraction than anything else & see it as a game they HAVE to play rather than WANT to play. If you was involved at the FA what would you do with the competition. I have come up with a few suggestions myself:

1. Teams have to apply to enter the competition. This way only teams that wanted to be in the competition would enter. If you don't want to enter the competition you don't have to. Still think a lot of premiership clubs would enter & use it for their fringe players to get games (a lot of them do that now anyway)

2. Like they do in the JPT, make a rule that 5 or 6 of the team that played your previous league game are in the starting 11. This would ensure that teams put out stronger starting 11's & may boost attendances. Of course this would mean the 1st round would have to be played AFTER the 1st league match.

3. Scrap the competition. Seems a very drastic option but if you used option 1 & only 10 teams entered, it would prove that teams just don't care about the competition & would be glad to see the back of it.

Just a topic I came up with that I thought might create some interest.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Comments

• Options
    I would go with option 2, it annoys me when you have fans from big clubs going on about how it is a useless cup but would be the first one to want to go to wembley to watch the final!
  • Options
    Option 2. It's a way of actually trying to build the credibility of the cup rather than just trying to find ways to avoid it being a hindrance.

All those that stayed away on Tuesday would no doubt jump out the woodwork if we were to draw a big Prem team.
  • Options
    I think option 1 is the best idea. That way a few teams wouldn't enter, and the big boys would still use it for a fringe team. It seems the fairest way. To pose the question, would we enter it if we had to apply? Or would we be one of the teams to give it a miss?
  • Options
    Scrap it, put more emphasis on the FA Cup (I.e Champions League place for the winners). There are too many games being played in the English League already.
  • Options
    The woodyswoodwork
  • Options
    Option 4 - The winners get to chose one team that are then relegated from their current division. Would be excellent and could see Man Utd being relegated every season. Lol
  • Options
    AC

But what if we won it and had Palace and Man Utd in our division, who would you relegate?
  • Options

The woodyswoodwork

I have a fan!
  • Options
    How about, every round that you progress gives you an extra 3 points in the league? It is the league cup after all.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Option 5 - Limit the League Cup to just Football League, not Premier League teams. The prospect of a chance of getting to Wembley might spur people on to play better football without having to meet the likes of (and almost always losing to) Premier League sides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are easy ways to get around Option 2 though - do what Megson did last season and make a triple substitution in the first 15 minutes.

I say leave it as it is. Gives back up players a chance to impress, and just let the clubs decide how seriously they want to take it.
  • Options
    option 1
  • Options
    Make it FL only, winner gets a Euro place. Let the Prem play in the FA cup so they take that seriously as some of them even put fringe sides out for that. Also make it 6 first teamers, and warn teams that megsonlike antics will be punished with points deductions
  • Options
    Surely making it FL only would devalue it further. Most people on here didnt want to go far in JPT even though that was a very realistic chance of getting to Wembley. Also, no prem means less TV revenue and therefore lower prize funds.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Make it FL only, winner gets a Euro place. Let the Prem play in the FA cup so they take that seriously as some of them even put fringe sides out for that. Also make it 6 first teamers, and warn teams that megsonlike antics will be punished with points deductions

No way should a European place be given to a Football League only competition.
  • Options
    If you was involved at the FA what would you do with the competition?

Absolutely nothing, because this competition has nothing to do with the FA. It's run by the Football league. A completely different body......................
  • Options
    Respect the fans and play a full first team. The team starting against Orient shoud have been the one that starts Saturday. Surely mach fitness is important? These blokes can play twice a week. IMO.
  • Options

If you was involved at the FA what would you do with the competition?

Absolutely nothing, because this competition has nothing to do with the FA. It's run by the Football league. A completely different body......................

Nobody likes a smart arse :)
  • Options
    As has been mentioned already the FL run the League Cup and they have no jurisdiction over the Premier League clubs at all. If there were not a Final at Wembley and/or a place in the Europa League the top sides wouldn't enter at all.

The income that they get from the sponsors (Capital One this season) would fall through the floor if the top sides didn't enter at all, so they will never start a row with them. As it is the real top sides get another buy from the earlier rounds.

There is no real reason to keep the competition going save for the extra money the FL earn from the gate receipts and the sponsorship. It is also a nice day out for the suits that run the FL as they are clearly not part of the football elite as that is the Premier League and FA.

I suspect that the competition will continue to be devalued more and more each season, but all the time they can get a couple of the big teams in the Semis and the Final there will be interest from Sky or whomever to show those games.

The sad thing is that most of the teams don't care about it because they know they can't win it and will probably not make any money out of it. The limited number of teams that can win it don't really care about it as they have higher priority games to play.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with competitive action for squad players.

I like the idea of a bit of incentive. Winner of League Cup and winner of FA Cup to play off home and away for the fourth Champions League place with the loser getting the Europa League consolation prize. Same applies to 3rd and 4 th in the PL. Away goals to count double just like in the CL, and penalties if it's tied on away goals. Teams that win the FA Cup and finish third get to play second leg at home. When a team qualifies for both it can elect which one to go for and the 5th placed PL team gets the spare play off spot. Simple. Would spice up both cup comps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody else intitially read this as a Would Ya?

Yes, for the record..