Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bringing the other half..

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
How many of you guys bring the other half?

I think i missed about 4 home games last year, mainly due to study and work, but I did convert my girlfriend. First with football for a fiver, then by the end of the season she was pretty regular.

However the commentary I get from her is pretty funny at times and seems to make me laugh quite a bit, even if she is serious...!

On Tuesday after a poor dodgy throw from Green towards the NW corner of the pitch there was a cracking "He wouldn't even get a place on my netball team with a throw like that".

"I think he's hurt himself actually" (forgot who this was about) -> "Yeah, maybe Tom Daley can help him practice his diving, that technique is bound to pull a few muscles."

Then there's the tactical advice, this always begins with the immortal line of "who's that one? That number x? Well what he should be doing is playing it forward more, keeping it on the ground and marking their y a bit more".

Oh and dont get me started on her attitudes towards specific players - "How much did Wilson cost? Jesus, Chris Powell could've probably got a second house and rented it out for that - would've been a solid investment compared to this guy".

The ear bashing I got leaving the game on Tuesday. "That was awful, I thought I'd seen shit games with some of the 1-0s last season. Why did Powelly play that team? Didn't it mean anything that fans had turned up to see this game? It's also the first game back at The Valley and that can't be good for the confidence of the players. I think that was unfair on the fans, and unfair on Leyton Orient too - did you see how they celebrated that win?! If only they knew it was basically a reserve side?". Needless to say, I tried to point out the importance of a good start to the season, resting players before a big game, that cup games aren't Charltons forte etc. Let's just say I was quickly apologising and began pretending to agree to save her temper!

She is the type of fan I would hate if I sat next to her, alas she knows the words to all the songs and has started to show a bit of passion (just as well, she lacks it elsewhere!). So what's your other half like when it comes to taking her on an outing to The Valley?

Comments

• Options
    Don't know where to start so won't bother trying.
  • Options
    but I did convert my girlfriend. First with football for a fiver, then by the end of the season she was pretty regular.

and who said romance was dead.

• Options
    When Me and Sandra 1st got together, she was a chelsea season-ticket holder. she started coming to the Valley mid season: The year CFC won the title and we got relegated. She stopped going in January this year, and CFC won the Champions League & We got promoted. #JustSaying .
  • Options
    All reasons in op as to why you don't bring them

• Options
    I'd rather take my missus to the clap clinic than the football tbh. Going to a game is 'me' time.
  • Options

She is the type of fan I would hate if I sat next to her, alas she knows the words to all the songs and has started to show a bit of passion (just as well, she lacks it elsewhere!). So what's your other half like when it comes to taking her on an outing to The Valley?

You will have to hope that the passion does not extend to reading Charlton Life .

• Options
    Well my missus is a season ticket holder. Took her and the kids to a game about 14 years ago and she was hooked. At the time, we spent a lot of time apart so it was and is something we do together.
  • Options
    Jus a bit of bannntaaa! It's not like I'm searching hairdressers for a long lost love!

In all seriousness I love her going, and generally try and get her to come as much as possible!

It just always ensues with some laughs
  • Options
    generally try and get her to come as much as possible!!

Always a good idea ;-))
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure how big the incentive would need to be to persuade my wife to come to a Charlton game. If anyone wants to offer £1000, I'll see if I can persuade her.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took er indoors once, that was enough!
  • Options
    My missus liked football when I met her, and had been to quite a few Darlo games with her ex. She became a season ticket holder at The Valley, and now goes on her own when back in the UK without me.

I love having her share interests with me, because she is my soul mate. Looks like you may have found yours Lucky! Nice one.
  • Options
    Mine comes (or should that be attends Large :-) ) occasionally.
  • Options
    To say my wife hates football would be an understatement (although i did manage to convince her to get a season ticket for one year).
  • Options
    No intention of ever bringing her to football, mainly because of the annoying reasons you mentioned