Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Konchesky back tomorrow......

Comments

• Options
    Best left back we've had in years, mr dependable
  • Options

but no Chris Powell
  • Options

but no Chris Powell
    Absolutely not no, only one Chris Powell!
  • Options
    I was about 13 when I had "Konchesky 18" on the back of my shirt. He happily signed it for me and had a picture, seemed a decent bloke.

Heard that there were a few incidents back in the day, but he was 20-21 years of age and I'm sure he has matured since!
  • Options
    Knoch,Young,Powell,Parker,Bent

never thought i would see a player of CAFC play for England let aolne 5-------seems such a long time ago.

Hope he gets a good reception but has a total mare---sent off etc, which he was always capable of
  • Options
    I never rated him that highly. Won't clap or boo.
  • Options
    I always liked him. He was a youth player that went on to play for England, we should be very proud of his achievements.

He was kind of pushed out by Curbishley, yet he kept playing in the Premier League for a while after we fell out of it.

I can't think of any good reason to boo him. Clearly I want him to lose tomorrow, but I don't really think he deserves any abuse.
  • Options

I always liked him. He was a youth player that went on to play for England, we should be very proud of his achievements.

He was kind of pushed out by Curbishley, yet he kept playing in the Premier League for a while after we fell out of it.

I can't think of any good reason to boo him. Clearly I want him to lose tomorrow, but I don't really think he deserves any abuse.

How was your coffee 'on' Kings Hill this morning?

• Options
    Good honest pro. A member of a great Charlton era. A polite ripple from the N-Block ultras.
  • Options
    Thought he did all right with us , i'm sure he will get the clap tomorrow night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

WSS said:

Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

Saga Lout said:

Cannot forgive him for the way he celebrated a goal against us when playing for West Ham. For that, I will boo the to$$er.

I don't remember that happening.
    Well, it was the away game - may not have been picked up by the cameras. So disappointing - why would the guy want to do that to fans of the club that gave him a start in the professional game? I can't be the only one who witnessed this?
    At Upton Park when Dowie was in charge? Traore sent off?

That was the one. No class.
    Saga, can I ask: Supposing you're not the only one that boos, and supposing Konch picks up on it. Do you think it's likely that he'll remember the Upton Park game and think that it's just retribution, or is it more likely that he'll just think that Charlton fans are just a bunch of miserable gits?
  • Options

See he tweeted earlier:

"Looking forward to going back to The Valley! Be nice to see some old faces at #cafc and especially the manager, an old teammate"

Do hope he gets a decent reception. Really don't like this seemingly growing trend of abusing to ex-players.

I think a lot will depend on the reception Yann gets, I work very closly with a Leicester season ticket holder who will be there tomorrow (in the away end) and he said all the talk amoungst them is they are going to slaughter Yann with abuse and the youtube song.

He did say CP would get a cheer though as the respected him
  • Options

Was he pushed out? I always remember the situation that he was intent on playing LB, Curbs always saw him as a LW. I actually thought he was much better on the wing, defensively better than a natural winger and with his left foot could whip decent balls into the box.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Saga Lout said:

WSS said:

Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

Saga Lout said:

Cannot forgive him for the way he celebrated a goal against us when playing for West Ham. For that, I will boo the to$$er.

Well, it was the away game - may not have been picked up by the cameras. So disappointing - why would the guy want to do that to fans of the club that gave him a start in the professional game? I can't be the only one who witnessed this?

Saga, can I ask: Supposing you're not the only one that boos, and supposing Konch picks up on it. Do you think it's likely that he'll remember the Upton Park game and think that it's just retribution, or is it more likely that he'll just think that Charlton fans are just a bunch of miserable gits?
    I used to work with a bloke (Chelsea fan) who was into fashion - he wore a tie with some logo on it and I asked him what it was - he said it was a hot new designer. I said "it doesn't mean anything to me" to which he replied the people who knew about fashion would appreciate it. So, I don't give a shit if Konch knows the reason - I know the reason and the people who were at that game with me know the reason.

I don't see why we should give him a good reception when he made it so obvious he couldn't care less about Charlton. I just don't see why he should feel that way. Ok, I get that he didn't like Curbs playing him out of position, but he played well in that position. My view is that Konch felt Curbs was damaging his chances of playing for England by doing that, whereas I think Curbs felt he was a young player who maybe should've been weighing up options, rather than deciding early on that he must be the greatest left back in history. If he had a beef, surely it was with the management, not us fans, who I thought had always supported him well. I remember the reception we gave him when he returned from his loan spell at Spurs, he obviously doesn't.
  • Options
    I liked him when he was with us but he definitely missed that pen at upton park on purpose, it was a shocker
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Stig said:

Saga Lout said:

WSS said:

Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

Saga Lout said:

I used to work with a bloke (Chelsea fan) who was into fashion - he wore a tie with some logo on it and I asked him what it was - he said it was a hot new designer. I said "it doesn't mean anything to me" to which he replied the people who knew about fashion would appreciate it. So, I don't give a shit if Konch knows the reason - I know the reason and the people who were at that game with me know the reason.

I don't see why we should give him a good reception when he made it so obvious he couldn't care less about Charlton. I just don't see why he should feel that way. Ok, I get that he didn't like Curbs playing him out of position, but he played well in that position. My view is that Konch felt Curbs was damaging his chances of playing for England by doing that, whereas I think Curbs felt he was a young player who maybe should've been weighing up options, rather than deciding early on that he must be the greatest left back in history. If he had a beef, surely it was with the management, not us fans, who I thought had always supported him well. I remember the reception we gave him when he returned from his loan spell at Spurs, he obviously doesn't.
    So you're going to put one isolated, heat of the moment incident that happened YEARS ago and wasn't that big a deal ahead of what he openly stated on Twitter today (Looking forward to going back to my old club, seeing Chris Powell etc)?

Sounds a bit petty to me.
  • Options

How was your coffee 'on' Kings Hill this morning?

I don't drink coffee as it happens, but it's nice and sunny here today if that helps. I'm working today, but the Golfers seem to be enjoying it!
  • Options
    Decent player, just not good enough to displace SCP.

He wouldn't be able to displace Wiggy either, come to that.

So, second best - a gentle clap or two if he waves to the CAFC fans. Just ignore if he doesn't/
  • Options
    I knew the elderly guy who sponsored his kit when he was quite young and Konchesky went out of his way to be nice to him, so you need to be careful about extrapolating one incident even if he behaved badly on that occasion. I'd only boo him if he behaves badly tomorrow.
  • Options
    He seemed a decent lad and he did pretty well for us over the years.

I remember him playing for England against Australia at, I think, Upton Park - thereby making him England's number one left back at a time when he was third choice at Charlton behind Chris Powell and The Herminator.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every time the ball goes sailing over his head because he is out of position I will give him a hearty clap cheer.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Saga Lout said:

Stig said:

Saga Lout said:

WSS said:

Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

Saga Lout said:

So you're going to put one isolated, heat of the moment incident that happened YEARS ago and wasn't that big a deal ahead of what he openly stated on Twitter today (Looking forward to going back to my old club, seeing Chris Powell etc)?

Sounds a bit petty to me.
    Great! I've always thought that about the general dislike, to put it mildly, of Crystal Palace - it happened YEARS ago, let's welcome them to the Valley in a few weeks time... Thought not - there's a lot of pettyness in football fannery - I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    Oh, and have we forgiven Scott Parker? Defoe???
  • Options

I knew the elderly guy who sponsored his kit when he was quite young and Konchesky went out of his way to be nice to him, so you need to be careful about extrapolating one incident even if he behaved badly on that occasion. I'd only boo him if he behaves badly tomorrow.

I just felt it was a rude obnoxious thing to do to young kids. I wasn't judging him or his personality. Maybe he had, had a bad morning? I've no doubt he is a nice chap, and given the chance again would have given the young lads an autograph. We all do things we regret. I won't boo him tomorrow, the only ex Charlton players I have ever booed are Darren Pitcher, Danny Murphy and Judas Defoe.
  • Options
    Was it not that he wanted to be the number 1 choice at Charlton as the left back, and had words with Curbs about that.......
    Probably all paper talk, but I do remember Chris saying he knew that Konch was the 'future' at Charlton, and then within a short space of time they both seemed to have left the club. Remember being down at the valley shop and he came in, seemed popular with the staff in there.
    When he went to wet spam and curbs went there, he probably thought 'not again', I see he left after a short time.......
    Of course I have no actual proof that curbs could hold a grudge, but it did appear like that.
    Curbs probably just thought that it depended on who we were playing and the blend of the team.
    Always felt that Chris Perry never got the credit he deserved, just got on and did a decent job.
  • Options
    i will certainly be clapping someone who was at the club for such a long time and came through our youth system and only left due to a lack of first team football shocked some people are planning on booing him and the ones who declare they wont clap or boo are nearly as bad, very dissapointing
  • Options
    Remember Konch falling out with Curbs, because he wasn't being played at left back.

Konch then went on loan to Spurs .......where he was played left midfield.
    C'est la vie.
  • Options
    Always thought his best position was central midfield which he played 5 or 6 times towards the end of his Charlton career. Liked him but thought he was wolly for insisting on playing left back just because he wanted to be Julian Dicks. Could have achieved a lot more if he let that go.
  • Options
    Having said that I hope he is playing left back tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 2012