Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Self-induced pressure from our own throw-ins

I can't be the only one who has noticed how long it takes us to take a throw-in (often Solly or Wiggins) because not enough players are making themselves available. Last night there were a couple of instances where we immediately lost possession in a dangerous position.
This was also happening last season... the difference this season is that it will cost us goals.

Comments

• Options
    We rarely retain posession from a throw in. Whether it takes time to throw in or if its quickly taken, within seconds we no longer have it. major frustration of mine, unfortunately it's been like that since the premier league days. no idea why.
  • Options
    Yes, we do seem to take our time with throw ins. Probably a result of not having many options available. We seem to aim for one man to flick it.
  • Options
    Jackson lost possession of the ball from 2 x throw in's in front of the East stand in the 2nd half but to be fair he looked dead on his feet. I though CP should have subbed him sooner as this could have cost us.
  • Options
    If it isn't close enough to the box for us to launch it in, we have no idea what to do with it. I think we should let the wingers take them and throw backwards to the full back and play from there, much better than Wiggins listlessly chucking it down the line
  • Options
    One of the unsung virtues of Radostin Kishishev.

He always made himself available only to be derided by the Charlton cogniscenti.

Hey ho!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

If it isn't close enough to the box for us to launch it in, we have no idea what to do with it. I think we should let the wingers take them and throw backwards to the full back and play from there, much better than Wiggins listlessly chucking it down the line

The problem is Wiggins doesnt just chuck it down the line. In my opinion if there's nothing on just chuck it down the line and look for Yanns head. Instead at least twice last night we threw it to feet under severe pressure which allowed Leicester to nick the ball and counter.

• Options
    Didn't we score from a throw in last night?
  • Options
    Kermo wasnt going over for all of hem either i tihnk with there height we wanted to throw into feet more
  • Options

Don't be silly - we never have any idea with throw ins, aim them listlessly and always surrender possession.
  • Options
    Only my opinion but in difficult situations I have always thought that the quicker you take the throw the better before the opposition have time to mark up. Maybe something for CP to work on in training. By the way the second goal was the result of a Danny Holland long throw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Don't be silly - we never have any idea with throw ins, aim them listlessly and always surrender possession.
    Sorry, I'll pay more attention at the next game : - )

• Options
    SCP is the son of Curbs. Our throw-ins were often rubbish then, too! But agree that down the line is the safe option if there isn't really anyone available...(and it's not a long throw opportunity...)
  • Options

Please try not to be positive, it makes people uncomfortable and twitchy
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Please try not to be positive, it makes people uncomfortable and twitchy
    Can you and Off-It stop bullying me please : - )

I think it was unfair of the Leicester players to mark our players so tightly and use their pace to stop us getting the ball easily.

I also though it was unsporting of our players to take so long to take free kicks and throw ins when we were winning 2 - 1
  • Options

SCP is the son of Curbs. Our throw-ins were often rubbish then, too! But agree that down the line is the safe option if there isn't really anyone available...(and it's not a long throw opportunity...)

Sorry Weegie, we must have been imagining it. All is well and our throw-ins are the height of perfection according to Henry / Off it so we mustn't comment on them.

• Options

Sorry Weegie, we must have been imagining it. All is well and our throw-ins are the height of perfection according to Henry / Off it so we mustn't comment on them.

Who said they were perfect?

You said we "rarely" retain possession from throws, which is clearly not right. But hey, it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    Or people who counter the endless negativity with simple positive facts get shot down by the brown tinted glasses clan who feel they have to drag everyone into their pit of despair.

I like hyperbole
  • Options
    Rule No. 1, never throw the ball across the park, always down the line.
  • Options
    It was the same when I last had a season ticket ten years ago. Some things don't change. I always considered own own throws a disadvantage!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

You said we "rarely" retain possession from throws, which is clearly not right. But hey, it doesn't bother me.
    I disagree. I maintain that we rarely retain possession from throw-ins. Whether we scored from a throw in or not, we still lost possession more often than we keep it. In my opinion anyway. Of couse the players don't do it on purpose, but it is a weakness of our team and has been for quite some time.

I was responding to yours and henry's sarcastic post with some of my own. Difference of opinion is fine, using sarcasm to display your disagreement is not needed. In my opinion also.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Off_it said:

I disagree. I maintain that we rarely retain possession from throw-ins. Whether we scored from a throw in or not, we still lost possession more often than we keep it. In my opinion anyway. Of couse the players don't do it on purpose, but it is a weakness of our team and has been for quite some time.

I was responding to yours and henry's sarcastic post with some of my own. Difference of opinion is fine, using sarcasm to display your disagreement is not needed. In my opinion also.
    Do you ever look at how many times the opposition lose possession from throw ins?

When you're throwing a ball forward into the air for two fellas to challenge for then it's not an exact science and is a bit of a lottery. But how many throw ins do we take that are unchallenged, for example, when they are thrown back then played along the back four?

Saying we "rarely" retain possession from throw ins is just not right, nor is the suggestion that we are any worse with throws in the attacking third than anyone else - particularly when Yann has been winning stuff in the air for fun this past year or so.

Just find it an odd thing to say. But the next game I'm going to look out for it.
  • Options

Full backs should nearly always take the throw ins. If you let the wingers take them you have less options going forward...
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Do you ever look at how many times the opposition lose possession from throw ins?

When you're throwing a ball forward into the air for two fellas to challenge for then it's not an exact science and is a bit of a lottery. But how many throw ins do we take that are unchallenged, for example, when they are thrown back then played along the back four?

Saying we "rarely" retain possession from throw ins is just not right, nor is the suggestion that we are any worse with throws in the attacking third than anyone else - particularly when Yann has been winning stuff in the air for fun this past year or so.

Just find it an odd thing to say. But the next game I'm going to look out for it.
    Well, strangely, yes I do as I hope that we get the ball from them to even it up a bit! I also think that Yann is great at winning stuff in the air, and BWP, but it then sometimes falls apart as the opposition seem quicker to respond sometimes to get onto the ball once its on the floor. Anyway, it's opinion i've had for 10 years, and it'd take a lot to change my mind and thankfully weegie has made me feel satisfied that i'm not on my own with my thought, even if we are in the minority.