Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Leaburn

Comments

• Options
    The 2-0 at home was '96, the same season that we beat them in the snow at their place in December '95.

Nice to read so much positive stuff about him, hope he knows how highly rated he was by many of our fans. I often thought that he must have felt like the whole stadium loathed him when he was getting booed, it was that loud, even though there was just as many of us willing him to shut them up.

Remember at least 3 occasions where a Leaburn hater got a punch in the face for giving him stick. In particular there was a grey-haired bloke with specs on who used to sit down the front of Block E or F in the Covered End, still see him around these days, and he loved to abuse Leaburn, until someone decided they'd heard enough and waded into him.
  • Options
    I was at Newcastle when he made his debut....he actually scored that day and I think we won into the bargain!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

1995?

Proper Charlton legend is Carl, Leroys summary is bang on the money.

My favourite Leaburn goal has got to be Southend away

The one where he beat three players in the box, hesitated, looked like he was going to fall over his own feet, went to shoot, paused, then finally sent it into the back of the net in front of the away fans and we all went absolutely mental. Brilliant memory. Was that the game where Colin Walsh was giving some mouthy Charlton fans the two fingered salute and Curbs got sent to the stands? We had a couple of great games down at Roots Hall in that era.
  • Options
    Leaburn was a legend
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

The 2-0 at home was '96, the same season that we beat them in the snow at their place in December '95.

1995/95 season
    away win 5-1 23rd sept 95
    home loss 0-2 9th dec 95

sorry just a bit annal there with those results.

• Options
    Carl was player of the year in 1994. I named my cat "Leaburn" and was fortunate to be introduced to Carl at the first back to The Valley dinner in 1992. A fantastic servant of the club who always gave 100% and made us smile. After his equaliser at Blackburn in the 2-2 draw April 1991, I have a fond memory of being on the double decker bus laid on back to the rail station after the game and the entire upper deck shouting "Leaburn, Leaburn" out of the windows as it went along. The bus passed my brother who walking back to his car and he rates it as one his funniest moments following Charlton.
  • Options
    AddickUpNorth Member
    August 23
    He was a like a man possessed against Millwall at the Valley when we beat them 2-0 in 94ish. Was the game when Newton was battered by Van Den Hawe in the first minute or two.
    Carlo looked like he could have beaten them on his own. And then jump into the JSS and have it with their fans as well!

@Bradders_1983
    Was referring to the Millwall game mentioned on page 1 of the thread (see above quote). Didn't make it clear though.
  • Options
    Leaburn is often in the press area in the upper west and I once walked up the steps chatting to him.

No one has mentioned the battle if the bridge absolute legend.

Agree with Prague, no gentle easing into 1st team football - he was thrown in and kicked from pillar to post at a tender age and that affected hum throughout his career.
  • Options
    A true Charlton legend! Who can forget his goal at Old Trafford in the FA cup, 1994! 3-0 down and remember ten thousand odd Charlton fans going absolutely mental when he scored! It was like we had won the final itself! Good memories!
  • Options
    I remember a flicked goal from a corner against Port Vale at Upton Park that I thought was real class and a goal in a 2-1 win against Newcastle in that same season where he was reall class.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was at Newcastle when he made his debut....he actually scored that day and I think we won into the bargain!

Paul Miller and Garth Crooks scored their first Charlton goals that day as well if my memory is not tricking me,, think it was 2nd last game of the season on a bank holiday monday and it kept us in the mix and I think it was the Play off v Leeds year
    I was at this one with about 2/300 Charlton up there all the Geordies ran on at the end cos they were already safe and I think broke their crossbar

• Options
    That's the one leaburn for England

Carlo scored a few against Southend, headers at roots hall and Upton park 91/92

Never understood the grief he got
  • Options
    Never forget him chipping Peter Shilton at the Baseball Ground in the early 90's.

Also his back post header vs Bristol Rovers at Upton Park in 1992 from a Robert Lee cross, unstoppable.

Wanted to take on the whole Chelsea team at Stamford Bridge in 1988 after Wicks decked him off the ball, that coward Wicks hid in the dressing room afterwards and wouldn't come out.

Carlo was ready to give it to him Lewisham style.
  • Options

Never forget him chipping Peter Shilton at the Baseball Ground in the early 90's.

Also his back post header vs Bristol Rovers at Upton Park in 1992 from a Robert Lee cross, unstoppable.

Wanted to take on the whole Chelsea team at Stamford Bridge in 1988 after Wicks decked him off the ball, that coward Wicks hid in the dressing room afterwards and wouldn't come out.

Was the Baseball game the one were the Derby fans were in the upper tier , and they kept gobbing down on the Charlton fans , it might have been an 'over Christmas' match i'm not sure.

• Options

WSS said:

That hat-trick at Ipswich is one of my top ten Charlton moments as well.

Can anyone remember what year that was?

1995-96 season. AKA the Lee Bowyer Season

Thankyou the years seem to roll into one!
  • Options

Was the Baseball game the one were the Derby fans were in the upper tier , and they kept gobbing down on the Charlton fans , it might have been an 'over Christmas' match i'm not sure.

It was definitely in winter, I was bloody freezing, I think it might have been between Xmas and NY.

I think Carlo ran onto a Walshie through ball and chipped it over the great Shilts, I don't think he could believe it himself!
  • Options
    Who could forget the 5-1 thumping of Notts County when Carlo put the ball and the ref into the net .... Great to read here such genuine affection and respect for a truly worthy guy.

Because his time with Charlton ended in such limp fashion I don't think he ever had a testimonial, which is really sad for a wonderful servant of the club.
  • Options
    I agree, and nice to see the negative b******s who gave him a hard time are not prvelant on CL. I remember having many an argument with these idiots back in the day - sometimes nearly coming to blows.
  • Options
    I thought he was dire never scored and was seen as a bit of joke to other clubs especially millwall,nice guy and i knowe his cousin well,but not a legend far far from it
  • Options
    we are all fonder of people once they became a memory
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nolly said:

Mmmmm......I'll have to remember that.

• Options
    your fond of me now soundas
  • Options
    WSS said:

That hat-trick at Ipswich is one of my top ten Charlton moments as well.

this
  • Options
    is that fat or muscle?
  • Options

is that fat or muscle?

He doesnt have 8 chins, so id presume muscle

• Options
    nolly said:

I haven't seen you since 1991, can't say it's increased my fondness for you.
  • Options
    Leaburn = CAFC Legend.
  • Options
    My view on the leaburn debate is that we were skint/groundless and he was our only option so we played cheap partners with him grant/nelson/Williams etc but I have seen so many heated words/fights in the charlton ends between our own fans all because someone aired there views on leaburn!!! But charlton only got promoted because we let him go to dons and we got Clive the man in!! Funny old days!! Got to love our history!! Hippy Iiii aaaa hippy iii ooooo
  • Options
    He is a legend and if every player we have ever had had his heart we would be very, very lucky. Do people honestly think he would have played so many games for us if he was that bad? Not many bad players stay around for long. How many of you people knocking him went to many games at Selhurst or away games at that time?

Oh and we sold him to a Premier side...
  • Options
    He squeezed out Andy Jones who we paid a reasonable wack for from port vale. Mendonca did not replace him but played alongside him.