Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Walsh

Comments

• Options
    i playedgolf with him a few years ago and confirm he’s a bellend of the highest order. Argumentative little prick

He turned up late, hungover and and as soon the golf day finished he went straight to his car. Didn’t even say goodbye

utter cockwomble

he also bullied a neighbour when growing up and mocked her for following Charlton
    prick  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    i playedgolf with him a few years ago and confirm he’s a bellend of the highest order. Argumentative little prick

He turned up late, hungover and and as soon the golf day finished he went straight to his car. Didn’t even say goodbye

utter cockwomble

he also bullied a neighbour when growing up and mocked her for following Charlton
    prick  
    I read or heard something not too long ago where he acknowledged what an arsehole he was before he quit drinking. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Swisdom said:

utter cockwomble

prick  
    He speaks highly of you!
    I don’t suppose he does but I’ll not lose any sleep over that
  • Options
    Talal said:
    On Charlton TV this weekend vs Plymouth as studio guest - surprising TBH, I don’t believe he has any affection for us at all
    A while ago on twitter he was asking if anyone had any photos of him playing for us that weren't already online, so maybe he does. 
    The cynic in me thinks he’s trying to get a foot in now he’s been booted off Sky etc 🧐
    I can't imagine Charlton TV will be financially lucrative!

I imagine he's mates with Minto from Sky though
    Maybe not but it’s a job to get him back out there.
    It’ll be interesting to see how he comes across.
  • Options
    My first footballing hero, was so gutted when he left. 
  • Options
    Charlton fans and football fans will never understand that footballers go where they are offered a contract and the majority will still go close to home when becoming academy players. (Premier is totally different)  Scott Parker and Chris Powell are Spurs fans. JJ and Solly are big Arsenal fans. Robbie Elliott was a Cafc fan.

Lyle Taylor despite being Born in Greenwich was a big Lyle Taylor fan, and that would be why he always put his hero ahead of any team loyalties.
    I'm sure most of us do understand that. At the end of the day, it's a short career that one bad injury could end tomorrow.

But what I (and probably many others) find hard to stomach is when players like Paul Walsh and Rob Lee never, ever acknowledge their time at Charlton or that the club helped them on their way. it's like we never existed. Or they would just prefer to forget about us.

It's really not that hard to offer the occasional nod in our direction.

I think Lee referenced us last year when he was on that Harry’s full English programme on ITV.  Can’t say I ever heard Walsh mention us when on Sky Sports.  Remember very clearly Minto saying once on Sky that he was envious of our players and would give anything to play for us again, or words to that effect as that really stuck with me as a nice thing to say and I have never heard a pundit ever saying something similar before whilst on TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Walsh is 59 so you would hope that he has his drinking under control and will finally acknowledge the stepping stone that was his Charlton years. A fantastic but small youth player who had magic feet but left us for Luton with Paul Elliott.
    A double whammy if ever there was one.

Swisdom, who had a very educated right foot himself, the left foot always played truant; tells the story of Paul Walsh on the golf course above, which I believe to be Correct because others have said about his boorish antics.

Drinking culture was rife with players over many decades and I find it sad to see so many 50-65's drinking as if they are still in their late teens or twenties.

Kenny Sansom is/was a sad case when becoming a drunk, drinking numerous bottles of wine and sleeping on park benches.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Not heard all of the this yet but the bits I listened to were good.
    .bit of a troubled soul is Paul Walsh. Very much like Merson
  • Options
    Point of order: - Paul Walsh didn't leave with Paul Elliott, although they both ended up at Luton.
    Both sold on the cheap for Gliksteins book-balancing purposes, both moved on from Luton to top clubs who we shouyld have sold them to in the first place for triple the fees we got
  • Options
    Or was Hulyer in charge by then? My memory is shot to pieces
  • Options
    Point of order: - Paul Walsh didn't leave with Paul Elliott, although they both ended up at Luton.
    Both sold on the cheap for Gliksteins book-balancing purposes, both moved on from Luton to top clubs who we shouyld have sold them to in the first place for triple the fees we got
    Mark Hulyer was the chaiman at the time of the sales of Walsh  & Elliott.
  • Options

TBF @Six-a-bag-of-nuts your memory is better than mine because you are correct,   in July 1982 we sold Paul Walsh for 400k plus Steve White in return who I believe is still on CL under an alias !; whereas, Paul Elliott joined Luton in 83.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Blimey, that's some allegation.
    It was bloody heartbreaking, whatever way you look at it
  • Options
    The politics of football never cease to amaze me. Never heard that statement from Paul Walsh thou I remember thinking why didn't he get a bigger club or wait until a bigger club came in. That may explain why.
  • Options
    I don’t have much of a view on this, but a few years back I was on a Valley tour and he was there with his son - so he at least acknowledges it at home. 
    As for Newcastle’s Rob Lee - I expect his CAFC profile will rise if Elliot becomes a success with us. 

Then we can play Lee Bingo:
    “Turnstile operator”for a full house. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob Lee did spent 9 years at Charlton so a large part of his Career even if it was the starter to the main course of Newcastle and England.
  • Options
    Minto understands you can talk with affection for all former clubs, noticed that he was like that regarding Rotherham recently.
  • Options
    clive said:
    That whole thread is very interesting…
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Bit like Ezri Konsa then. 
  • Options
    A really interesting exchange of views between Walsh and Hulyer. Thanks for posting Callum.

Paul Walsh was just before my time but Paul Elliott was my first favourite CAFC player and I recall him departing for Luton. Now he is one who always speaks fondly of us..
  • Options
    Cheers Callum, for posting both Mark Hulyer and Paul Walsh's words verbatim.

Before the *Bosman ruling players could be transferred at the whim of the club. 
    Both Paul and Mark have a different memory of the transfer which doesn't surprise me, as owners know everyone has a price, (Paul should've gone for a million at least, plus player) 

Of course Paul wanted to play higher but I'm sure he would have stayed as he knew the top division clubs would come calling within months if his transfer to Luton didn't happen.

* Bumped into Mark Stuart at London Bridge station after training, when he was going home to west London. Mark told me he was moving into a house which he had purchased nearer to the training ground in Kent. A month after this he was transferred to Plymouth who I believe were 1 division below.  
    Players were traded at will without their true consent in many cases, as they were told they would rot in the reserves at that time if they didn't move on.
    Player power now with agents demanding the earth but that wasn't the case pre Bosman.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

utter cockwomble

prick  
    He's not changed then.
    I met him when he was about 18, big headed wanker.
  • Options
    I might be wrong but didn’t he make appearances for the vets/legends side over the years   If so, hardly someone who actively tried to distance himself from the club