Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Sinclair to Man City

13»

Comments

• Options

If you're a footballer, do you want to play every week for 15K per week and have a fulfilling career and create great memories, or barely play at all and be 'outside the bubble' but get paid close to 100K per week?

Or the other option where he has belief in himself that once he's got his foot in the door, he might then have a chance of playing in one of the best clubs in europe? Training every day with top quality players and coaches & being in a position to impress the manager on a daily basis, and if they want to chuck shed loads of cash at him in the proccess, then that's a bonus too.

I'm not for one minute saying that he's actually good enough the break into their team, but sometimes it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time and taking your chance when it comes along.............
    Fair enough Tango, but he's ALREADY been down this route at Chelsea, hasn't he? It got him nowhere but a series of loan spells at various places, including SE7.

I just find it so sad that a young player is prepared to basically spend the best years of his career (23-27) sitting on the bench as a bit-part player, quite depressing really.
  • Options
    Sorry cafctom it isn't right the greed that has engulfed the game is slowly strangling it. What really gets to me is the double standards that exist, when the furore over the bonus paid to Steven Hester the chief executive of RBS was ongoing (soemthing shy of £1M in shares I recall) the calls for his head rang out like bloody church bells. Now don't get me wrong I have no time for overpaid traders either but Hester was bought in AFTER the events of 2008 to try and sort it out on a salary of around £1M/annum. So here is a man responsible for a company turning over billions of pounds, in hock to the government and employing tousands of people. At the same time Wayne Bridge on £90k/week, which is £4.6M/annum was being made to train with the juniors because he wasn't good enough. Yet nodoy makes mention of it why?

Now you tell me if there isn't double standards here. Frankly the whole sporting summer really highlighted just how far removed footballers at the higher level have become from the reality of real life. If you are a footballer then you should want to play and by the way NOBODY in a team game like football is worth £5M/year.
  • Options
    Thing is its a short career. Some do it for the love of playing, some are motivated more by the cash. Cant fault him for trying to earn as much as possible before he's 35, cause then wheres it coming from?

Do think hes scuppered his Eng chances for a while, but at the end of the day its his decision. Besides, we have a few wingers now who I'm happy to see wearing the shirt, not as if we're lacking in short, pacey tricksters with questionable end product.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Thing is its a short career. Some do it for the love of playing, some are motivated more by the cash. Cant fault him for trying to earn as much as possible before he's 35, cause then wheres it coming from?

Do think hes scuppered his Eng chances for a while, but at the end of the day its his decision. Besides, we have a few wingers now who I'm happy to see wearing the shirt, not as if we're lacking in short, pacey tricksters with questionable end product.

we had milner and cleverley playing out wide in Poland. ones a CM and the others a workman like right sided midfielder.

Walcott gets injured every fortnight and the OX is still a bit raw. and then theres downing.......
  • Options
    I can see both sides of the argument. To the average man in the street doing a normal job, they would obviously snap your hand off to be playing week in week out earning 15-20k a week. However if you're a young player and good enough to be wanted by City, United etc and earn 80-90k a week to sit on the bench, make the odd sub appearance and play cup games then i'm pretty sure everyone would take that.

Sinclair is only 23 and worst case scenario for him is it doesn't work out, he picks up his 80k a week and ends up at Sunderland or Villa by the age of 25/26. I doubt he'll be too bothered. Also his bird is from Manchester and had been making a bit of noise about being unhappy in Swansea anyway, so a move to City was obviously a no brainer.
  • Options
    No way will he be on 80k per week at City.
  • Options
    Surely he is backing his talent and thinks he can get in the team and do a job at City.
    If a club comes in for you, you must think you have got some chance to play or why would they bother buying you?
    Maybe he needs a year of training with these 'better' players to improve his game to a level where he will be in the team week in week out rather than stagnating at a so called lesser club where he is not being pushed.

• Options
    What some of you seem to be forgetting is that the likes of Scott Sinclair have been told week in and week out just how good they are as footballers. He probably went to City thinking and hoping that in time he will be a regular player there or will at least give it his best shot at becoming one.

He's hardly going to turn around and say "Actually I won't go to the biggest club on the rise in world Football, as I'm clearly not good enough" is he?!
  • Options
    Ruined his career in my eyes. If I was him I would have looked at City's squad and thought there is no way I am getting in that. Give it three years and he will be at a club like west ham or Newcastle. Woy Woy won't pick someone who sits on the bench every game either that was proved with Scott Parker at Chelsea.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Addicted said:

we had milner and cleverley playing out wide in Poland. ones a CM and the others a workman like right sided midfielder.

Walcott gets injured every fortnight and the OX is still a bit raw. and then theres downing.......
    True, although I'm probably in the minority in liking Milner, and I'd probably class Sinclair as 'raw' too. Wingers i'd have above Sinclair:

Ox
    Walcott
    A Johnson
    Milner
    Young
    Lennon

I wouldnt even have Downing as waterboy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw a few Swansea games over the last couple of years and Sinclair should have stayed put and played football not moved to keep a bench warm. He was a regular first team player. he scored 27 in the championship and 8 Premier league goals. He should have more pride than to go to a club where he knows he won't get in other than the odd cup match. Seems it was his girlfriend's wish to move back to Manchester that swung it!
  • Options
    Look on the bright side, he gets to travel all round Europe, watching City lose...

At the giant clubs, the best chance a young British player has of playing regularly is if you if you do the boring things, be the hard working defensive midfielder, or the reliable defender. Barry has been a regular for City, Milner, Richards and Lescott played tonight. It's the flairy players who struggle, as the big clubs can bring in superstars who are world class and frankly better than any British attacking player in terms of skill and vision. Moses at Chelsea is another player who will struggle to get a game in a squad full of world class wingers/attacking midfielders.
  • Options

Look on the bright side, he gets to travel all round Europe, watching City lose...

At the giant clubs, the best chance a young British player has of playing regularly is if you if you do the boring things, be the hard working defensive midfielder, or the reliable defender. Barry has been a regular for City, Milner, Richards and Lescott played tonight. It's the flairy players who struggle, as the big clubs can bring in superstars who are world class and frankly better than any British attacking player in terms of skill and vision. Moses at Chelsea is another player who will struggle to get a game in a squad full of world class wingers/attacking midfielders.

Excellent post, sums it up perfectly, just look at how Walcott struggles to get a regular place at Arsenal.

Funniest thing tonight was Man City's 300 million quid worth of foreign talent looking like England playing in a major tournament, a disorganised rabble incapable of holding possession.
  • Options
    Spot on Ormy couldn't have put it better.

Having had a couple of days to think about this clearly a footballers career is probably only 15 years but in that time if he's earning lets say £20K a week he wil have earned in excess of £15M OK he pays his taxes etc (although probably an accountant will sort this out) but in his working life his take home pay is around £8M Jeez I'd take that! There's no rule that you Have to live in a £6M house and own 10 cars! just be normal.

this excess is strangling the game and why clubs like ours struggle to move forward. If the top of the tree is earning £250K a week then that starts to determine what the next level earns and before you know it VERY average players are demanding £30K/week and clubs like ours are out of that league so we are stuck. This is EXACTLY the same as the inflation in the house market so now first time buyers can't get mortgages due to the high cost of homes and everyone complains.

I recall old Tangoman at Palace saying he had a young player come in and ask for a £5K/week pay rise at the age of 19 as he said at that age he's actually achieved nothing and proved nothing but seemed to think that he was "entitled" to own a Bentley.....madness. It has to stop sometime I just hope it's soon enough to make CAFC safe.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sounds like Celtic have agreed a £2.5M offer from Preston for Sinclair.