Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do we do it to ourselves?

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
My 7 year old "persuaded" me today, that it was a good idea to do a reverse bungy jump.

This has resulted in my little finger on my left hand losing about an inch of skin. The finger is also broken.

Laying on the sofa now thinking, when am I going to realise that I'm 38 and not 18!

Anyone else fallen victim to the belief that you can still carry on like an 18 year old whilst rapidly heading towards 40?

Comments

• Options
    I was 40 sixteen fecking years ago. Imagine how fecked I am.
  • Options
    I went a ride today called the 360 under the gentle persuasion of my 11 yr old

However I thought it was a good idea until I was hanging upside down a hundred ft in the air wondering if the safety harness was equipped to handle my large bulk

When I was younger that thought never went through my mind

He was loving it and I had to look tough but there was a moment I feared for my life and I heard the altogether now song Playing in my mind
  • Options
    How did you break your finger on one of them mate?
  • Options
    Carter said:

How did you break your finger on one of them mate?

When I reached the top, I back flipped and ignored the instruction not to let go of the hand strap. Finger got caught between one of the other straps. To be honest, when you are 25 metres up and upside down, rational thought doesn't come into it!
  • Options
    It wasn't one in a cage then? I was wincing thinking about hownyoumcouldmhave done it
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    No cage.

Strapped in round the waist and then fired skyward.
  • Options

No cage.

Strapped in round the waist and then fired skyward.

More fool you Clem. Jumping off a bridge/tower with an elastic band tied around my waist is one of the last things I'll consider ever doing.

It's the rubber band version of russian roulette IMO..............................................and I'm a bloody coward when it comes to heights. ;-)
  • Options
    Clem are you our secret investor?
  • Options
    I have always told my kids that I can't do these things because of a bad back!

I even shut my eyes on simulators like Star Tours at Disney.
  • Options
    Used to like rollercoasters. Been on "the big one" at blackpool back in 94. Anyway a few weeks back we went to southend. Took my 3yr old onto what was meant to be a gentle rollercoaster. Spent the whole time worried I was either going to crush her or she was going to go flying into the air. She was laughing constantly. I can put that one down to parental concern. Next up my 13 year old and a bigger rollercoaster. I really felt old and not up for it. My mind raced through blood pressure concerns, thoughts of heart attacks etc. They sat us right at the front! I wanted to get off but kept quiet as I didn't want to embarass daughter. Stayed on ride but kept eyes shut throughout. So the answer is no you are not alone. No way would I do any bungee though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm now 40, and maybe I have suicidal tendencies, because I still love thrill rides etc. flew to the gold coast last year just to ride all the roller coasters there. Brilliant holiday!
  • Options
    I love them just wish they had a safety rating on weight the things can hold especially if it goes upside down and holds there for a while
  • Options
    I'm not surprised, I wouldnt have got on it if I was you!

All things have a breaking point

winky piss takey face
  • Options
    That's exactly what went through my swede

fecking hell I am a long way up and that concrete looks hard

Who tested this and how well

• Options
    few years ago took the sales team for a putting competition at the local park one lunchtime just before our monthly meet. After accidentally sending my golf ball the other side of the railings I was faced with a choice - walk 100 yards down to the gate, get the ball & walk back or I could just hop over the railings and get my ball quicker.

Slipped and spent the afternoon in hospital having my hand stitched after one of the pointed railings went right through it - bit embarrassing to explain to my regional sales manager at the time.
  • Options
    If ever I get the urge to do anything like this I always think of Noel Edmunds.
  • Options
    that should keep the wolf from the door
  • Options

few years ago took the sales team for a putting competition at the local park one lunchtime just before our monthly meet. After accidentally sending my golf ball the other side of the railings I was faced with a choice - walk 100 yards down to the gate, get the ball & walk back or I could just hop over the railings and get my ball quicker.

Slipped and spent the afternoon in hospital having my hand stitched after one of the pointed railings went right through it - bit embarrassing to explain to my regional sales manager at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqa11NCbmA

• Options
    Dear oh dear whatever next, a thread about which movies scare you the most?

You bunch of blouses!!

:)
  • Options
    Oakster said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqa11NCbmA

Yep, me & Mr. Partridge have a lot in common - as I was telling the chaps from the North Norfolk Land Rover Dealership Network the other evening...........