Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Touch of Cloth and Airplane

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobbieT said:

I do wonder sometimes what people want from comedy? I want to laugh. I laughed at Touch of Cloth a number of times, more than I usually do at modern comedies. Why try and analyse so deeply? We all have different senses of humour. I didn't find many popular comedies funny, for example- Fraser, Cheers, Bread, Butterflies, Friends, Watching, Green, Green, Grass;
    Sure some of the jokes were obvious and repeated but so what? Not a crime. Funnily enough half way through I said to my wife "this is Airplane humour".

But I didn't laugh. That's the point

• Options
    I quite enjoyed a Touch of Cloth because i thought it had some good bits, but I don't recall laughing out loud much if at all, whereas Airplane sets about poking fun at the old disaster film cliches with such glee and so many great gags, it makes me smile just thinking about it.
    " Now Betty don't start up with that white zone sh*t again..." :-)

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

An Airplane thread? Surely you can't be serious?!!

I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!
    b*stard beat me to it
  • Options
    edited August 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjU-e01zQ4

A comparison of Airplane and the film that inspired it, Zero Hour.
  • Options
    So many good lines in Airplane

"C'mon, boys, let's take some pictures"

"Tell me, Joey, have you ever seen a grown man naked ?"

"Nervous? Yes. Your first time? No, I've been nervous lots of times"

The old lady talking Jive

"I sure picked a good week to quit sniffing glue"

"How about some coffee, Johnny? No thanks !"
  • Options

RobbieT said:

I do wonder sometimes what people want from comedy? I want to laugh. I laughed at Touch of Cloth a number of times, more than I usually do at modern comedies. Why try and analyse so deeply? We all have different senses of humour. I didn't find many popular comedies funny, for example- Fraser, Cheers, Bread, Butterflies, Friends, Watching, Green, Green, Grass;
    Sure some of the jokes were obvious and repeated but so what? Not a crime. Funnily enough half way through I said to my wife "this is Airplane humour".

I'd say the point is, by your own admission, that you only watched 15 mins. Humour, like music, is very much about personal tastes. Just because you didn't laugh it doesn't mean it wasn't funny. Other comments on here prove that. It also doesn't mean that you have to try and critically dissect the programme and make obscure comments about even obscurer ageing rockers!
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

RobbieT said:

I'd say the point is, by your own admission, that you only watched 15 mins. Humour, like music, is very much about personal tastes. Just because you didn't laugh it doesn't mean it wasn't funny. Other comments on here prove that. It also doesn't mean that you have to try and critically dissect the programme and make obscure comments about even obscurer ageing rockers!
    troll alert. bye bye
  • Options
    I think you "trolled" me actually! But never mind, good way to end a debate.
  • Options

The cat leaping out of the dead body obvious?

Not if you know your Nick Lowe songs or have read Hollywood Babylon.

Calling the local rough estate the Rundowne Estate was mildly funny but they had to keep going back to say it again.

The detective at the murder scene about to vomit and then turning over the picture of Piers Morgan. Not that funny first time but then they did it again 20 seconds later.

Luckily like 95% of the population, I don't know my Nick Lowe B sides, and have not read Hollywood Babylon, Henners. Neither have I seen either of those on TV. I am willing to bet you did not see the body and go " Here comes that old "Nick Lowe/Hollywood Babylon cat gag... yet again ...".

The repetition of the Morgan gag made it funnier.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/7518-a-touch-of-cloth-ii-undercover-cloth-details-revealed

Sky has announced new details for the second series of Charlie Brooker's crime drama parody A Touch of Cloth.

Airing on Sky1 in mid-August, A Touch of Cloth II: Undercover Cloth sees John Hannah and Suranne Jones reprise their roles as DCI Jack Cloth and DI Anne Oldman, alongside returning cast members Navin Chowdhry, Adrian Bower, Daisy Beaumont and Julian Rhind-Tutt.

Joining the cast for Series 2 are Anna Chancellor (The Hour) as a power-hungry mayoral candidate and Stephen Dillane (Game of Thrones) as a deadly crime boss.

The official story synopsis for A Touch of Cloth II: Undercover Cloth reads: "Cloth is done. The brilliant but tortured detective has quit the force, never to return, completely out of the game. Well, until a bank robbery-gone-wrong brings him back into play. Things at the station are a tad awkward, though, what with his on-off relationship with partner Oldman, not to mention ACC Tom Boss, the man who killed his wife, reinstated after a successful stint in rehab. In fairness, he hasn’t slaughtered anyone in months. More pressing matters are at hand, anyhow, when Cloth is tasked with going undercover to bring down Macratty (Dillane) - a very bad man - and find out what his next job is. Wannabe Mayor Hope Goodgirl (Chancellor) is added to the mix as well, and she’s taken a shine to Oldman."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite enjoyed Touch of Cloth III - its quick firing stuff. I even spotted a Charlton supporter.
  • Options
    I was touching cloth but thankfully made it in time
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Must admit, found/find it dreadful and cringeworthy.
    Airplane too, probably the first movie i've walked out on half way not being able to take any more unfunny stupid cringeworthy 'jokes'
    But, each to their own.
  • Options

Must admit, found/find it dreadful and cringeworthy.
    Airport too, probably the first movie i've walked out on half way not being able to take any more unfunny stupid cringeworthy 'jokes'
    But, each to their own.

Not seen Airport, sounds rubbish. You should see Airplane, one of the best comedy films of all time.
  • Options
    Thanks SG - duly edited. - Think they were both rubbish !!
  • Options
    Coincidentally enough, I saw Touch Of Cloth III the other week and the first thing I thought of was Airplane.

Touch Of Cloth seemed to try to be a sort of 'David Zucker does Prime Suspect', but it just seemed a bit too pleased with itself to be funny. It was probably a good laugh to film though
  • Options
    A touch of cloth was utter drivel whilst Aeroplane was groundbreaking comedy when it was released although i agree it looks a little dated now.
  • Options
    Airplane still works for me. I'd go so far as to say it's the funniest film ever made, there's a joke of some sort in more or less every frame.

They don't all work, but if you shoot continuously then you're bound to score quite a few!

(Cue "unless you're simon church" type comments!)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Cant believe how people think that it was one of the funniest movies ever - i really thought it was very cringeworthy- how many times can you make a joke about not calling someone Shirley !!!??? - it makes me cringe now even thinking about it..
    Now, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is different gravy entirely.
  • Options

Cant believe how people think that it was one of the funniest movies ever - i really thought it was very cringeworthy- how many times can you make a joke about not calling someone Shirley !!!??? - it makes me cringe now even thinking about it..

Fair enough, humour is a subjective beast at the best of times! I would have thought the humour in Airplane is fairly compatible with the Pythons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Airplane is still one of my favourite comedies thanks to the sheer number of jokes 'Do you like... gladiator movies?', 'Pardon me hostess, I speak jive', Ted's stories driving everyone to suicide, the camp airport employee, 'I picked a bad week to stop...' - if one falls flat (and plenty do) there is another a second later.

Admittedly it has not aged very well and the kind of movies it spoofed are out of fashion these days but I enjoy it immensely.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Airplane is still one of my favourite comedies thanks to the sheer number of jokes 'Do you like... gladiator movies?', 'Pardon me hostess, I speak jive', Ted's stories driving everyone to suicide, the camp airport employee, 'I picked a bad week to stop...' - if one falls flat (and plenty do) there is another a second later.

Admittedly it has not aged very well and the kind of movies it spoofed are out of fashion these days but I enjoy it immensely.

Agreed - disaster movies are many years out of fashion, however Leslie Nielsen deadpanning is basically timeless...

... And where the hell's Kramer?!?
  • Options

Police Squad is one of the greatest comedies ever written, the episode with the shooting of the teller is just comedy perfection. Why do TV stations consistently repeat the same old shows over and over (I think every person in the UK has now seen each and every episode of Only Fools about 6 times), when there are so many shows that never get repeated?

I want repeats of:

Desmond's
    Joking Apart
    Police Squad
    Neverwhere
    The High Life
    Up Pompei (was repeated a few years back, but still want to see it again)

And I know variety is out of fashion, but there are reasonably often repeats of Morcombe and Wise, but none of the 80s shows, would be interesting to see how well/badly the Brian Conelly stuff has aged.

I don't remember Desmond's ever being funny. If it was white people it would never have been on tv that long as the comedy was shit.
  • Options
    Probably the funniest comedy movie of all time - The Simpsons Movie - simply brilliantly written spoof,satire and farce not cheap, one liner popgun slapstick like Airplane.
    Up Pompeii and The Carry on movies were also good in their own way.But probably the masters of UK comedy were Morecombe and Wise and Bob Monkhouse who was simply a comedic genius.
  • Options
    Airplane! was on Film4 tonight and I had the pleasure of watching it with someone who had never seen it. So many good gags that you never spot them on the first viewing. The Autopilot is just brilliant.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Airplane! was on Film4 tonight and I had the pleasure of watching it with someone who had never seen it. So many good gags that you never spot them on the first viewing. The Autopilot is just brilliant.

... And where the hell's Kramer?!?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It's called "A running gag". Like Eric and Ernie with "Short fat hairy legs", "Can you see the join", "Get out of that", "Arsenal" ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC...
  • Options
    Airplane! deserves huge credit - if only for single-handedly removing the dumb disaster movie genre from cinema screens for a good few years.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It's called "A running gag". Like Eric and Ernie with "Short fat hairy legs", "Can you see the join", "Get out of that", "Arsenal" ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC...
    Well, it can 'jog-on' then ! It wasnt funny the first time,let alone the 21st time !