Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell was at Stevenage v Southampton

Comments

• Options
    Splodge said:

AlexC said:

Andy Hughes can play at right back can't he? So if Solly does go Wilson at rb with Hughes as back up/utility man?

Hughes is out for about 6 months though

6 months? Where did you see that?
  • Options
    Powell signed Wilson because he is versatile and he realised rb was a position that we couldn't cover within the existing squad last season and it cost us points.
  • Options
    Shouldnt Powell have been at Forest?
  • Options
    Wouldve thought it was more a member of staffs job to scout that match
  • Options
    Splodge said:

Of course, with someone like Puncheon a lot depends on what Southampton are doing. They are looking to sign 3-4 players, including wingers having been looking at Gaston Ramirez. Against Wigan, their 4-4-2 had Guly, Davis, Schneiderlin and Lallana in midfield with Rodriguez and Lambert up front, so if he's not in their current XI and they buy someone else, that might open up the chances of Puncheon leaving. I'd love a season long loan if we can't afford his fee/wages. Similar situation for Chaplow and Hammond, and Sharp. They signed another striker yesterday so Sharp may be 4th choice now.

Read last night that Ramirez is a done deal for £11m and they're paying him £45k a week! If that is true can someone tell me how the hell Southampton can afford those sort of wages...or for that matter anything over 30k. I'm convinced that if I went away and came back in ten years the majority of clubs in the Premier League will have gone bankrupt especially those of Southampton's size.
  • Options
    What you have to remember is the premier league show a lot of games abroad that we don't get, which is why you can get all the foreign tv streams of saturday 3pm games. The TV revenue and the price you can charge for advert boards because of this are enormous. Combine that with all the glory hunter fans that suddenly start turning up and buying tickets and merchandise, and you can quickly see where they get the money from.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

What you have to remember is the premier league show a lot of games abroad that we don't get, which is why you can get all the foreign tv streams of saturday 3pm games. The TV revenue and the price you can charge for advert boards because of this are enormous. Combine that with all the glory hunter fans that suddenly start turning up and buying tickets and merchandise, and you can quickly see where they get the money from.

Just hope for their sake then that they don't get relegated.
  • Options
    Freeman possibly? More of a playmaker, if Stephens goes. Would prefer Quinn or Wordsworth though. If a RB is being sought, then I hope it's not Richardson. Thought he was pretty poor and couldn't pass to save his life
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Freeman is a winger I think?
  • Options
    Melrose said:

Freeman possibly? More of a playmaker, if Stephens goes. Would prefer Quinn or Wordsworth though. If a RB is being sought, then I hope it's not Richardson. Thought he was pretty poor and couldn't pass to save his life

I was just about to write this. Virtually word-for-word.
    Freeman would be a good signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everytime I see freeman I get the impression he would really frustrate. But then again, most proper wingers do frustrate
  • Options

Splodge said:

Of course, with someone like Puncheon a lot depends on what Southampton are doing. They are looking to sign 3-4 players, including wingers having been looking at Gaston Ramirez. Against Wigan, their 4-4-2 had Guly, Davis, Schneiderlin and Lallana in midfield with Rodriguez and Lambert up front, so if he's not in their current XI and they buy someone else, that might open up the chances of Puncheon leaving. I'd love a season long loan if we can't afford his fee/wages. Similar situation for Chaplow and Hammond, and Sharp. They signed another striker yesterday so Sharp may be 4th choice now.

Read last night that Ramirez is a done deal for £11m and they're paying him £45k a week! If that is true can someone tell me how the hell Southampton can afford those sort of wages...or for that matter anything over 30k. I'm convinced that if I went away and came back in ten years the majority of clubs in the Premier League will have gone bankrupt especially those of Southampton's size.
    They've got a sugar daddy
  • Options
    Melrose said:

Disagree about Richardson. I thought he was a class act and was very disappointed when he left. Proven Championship quality with a side promoted to the Prem. Would see him as a good replacement if we do sadly have to say farewell to Solly.
  • Options
    maybe he was bored and got a craving for some serious capital one cup action.
  • Options
    Richardson left the same day that Gary Doherty and Mccormack was signed for us. Remember thinking at least were replacing quality with quality.

History proved that I couldn't of been further away from the actual truth
  • Options
    Richardson was great for us.

After having Moutakrap, Danny "annual leave at xmas" Mills, Halford (thought he was half decent), Murty and Butterfield at right back in the years after the Premiership, he was very consistent and knew when to get forward.
  • Options

After having Moutakrap, Danny "annual leave at xmas" Mills, Halford (thought he was half decent), Murty and Butterfield at right back in the years after the Premiership, he was very consistent and knew when to get forward.

Game of differing oppinions I suppose. Not in the same league as Bob Curtiss, Humphrey, Young (who i wasn't all that keen on!), and certainly not Solly. Am I alone in remembering that he would constantly give the ball away with his passing?

• Options

Splodge said:

It's only 3 years ago that Southampton were in administration and facing closure, if they didn't get a buyer.

• Options
    Wouldn't mind Richardson as a replacement for Solly
    Would rather Solly stayed but that would soften the blow .. especially is he costs about a quarter of what we might get for Solly.
  • Options
    Melrose said:

Game of differing oppinions I suppose. Not in the same league as Bob Curtiss, Humphrey, Young (who i wasn't all that keen on!), and certainly not Solly. Am I alone in remembering that he would constantly give the ball away with his passing?

Of course i agree.

For a league one right back he was decent and has now been promoted 2 seasons in a row.

He wasnt obviously the most talented player i have seen but he done a great job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Frazer Richardson was a great player. Very reliable and great getting forward, a lot of pace.
  • Options
    Pouso, You're not wrong there, he never let us down. Gonna be an interesting couple of days now. Would prefer us to keep Solly and Stephens, but if the offers are too good to turn down and it allows us to strengthen further, then I trust Powell to get the right quality in
  • Options
    Remember, it's not important how great an individual player is - it's how good the team is.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Remember, it's not important how great an individual player is - it's how good the team is.

Try selling that to Barcelona fans.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Splodge said:

It's only 3 years ago that Southampton were in administration and facing closure, if they didn't get a buyer.

and they found one thats a swiss billionaire i think? you could say the same for QPR
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Try selling that to Barcelona fans.
    Try selling that to Charlton fans, Mike!

;o)

• Options

Richardson left the same day that Gary Doherty and Mccormack was signed for us. Remember thinking at least were replacing quality with quality.

History proved that I couldn't of been further away from the actual truth

Shocking statistic!

• Options
    I really liked Richardson, thought it was a real shame when we had to sell him. Obviously Solly is a far better player, but Richardson was certainly a very good player and is definitely a good Championship right back.
  • Options
    important to remember that Richardson is now 30.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

important to remember that Richardson is now 30.

And Jordan Cousins is, what, 18?