Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Divorce

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Is there any legal eagles on here, or anyone with recent expearience, that can tell me how much the fees are for getting a straight forward divorce? Both parties agree to the divorce and have been living apart for more than 2 years, there are no children involved and the money/possessions/property issues have all been dealt with.

I've looked on the Government website and the HMCS website, but I can find nothing re. fees..

Cheers

Comments

• My divorce was similar to that stated mate . Was last year and off the top of my head it was no more than £300 each .
  • My divorce was similar to that stated mate . Was last year and off the top of my head it was no more than £300 each .

Yeah that's what I was thinking, though I think this one will be £600 one way ; )

cheers GHE.

• Blimey, wish my divorce was as cheap as that!
  • You've got a kid though, haven't you John? That's when it gets complicated, and hence expensive.
  • Yeah, £300. Oh, plus her barrister fees. And the house. And half the pension. And most of the savings. Bitter, me?
  • Hitman 5k
  • Shit £67 I got f'ed well and truly I will paying at least that per day until I die. What makes it worse is she ran off with someone else 5 weeks after we got hitched.
  • aliwibble said:

You've got a kid though, haven't you John? That's when it gets complicated, and hence expensive.

Yep. Wont ever get married again now as a result, even if Kelly Brook or Victoria Pendleton beg me to.

• JohnBoyUK said:

aliwibble said:

You've got a kid though, haven't you John? That's when it gets complicated, and hence expensive.

Yep. Wont ever get married again now as a result, even if Kelly Brook or Victoria Pendleton beg me to.

From memory you're not allowed within 10 feet of either are you ?
  • Sponsored links:

• BIG_ROB said:

Hitman 5k

Your paying alot for a hitman. I can get it done for 500 notes if need be
  • BIG_ROB said:

Hitman 5k

Your paying alot for a hitman. I can get it done for 500 notes if need be
    Really? Okay, will bare you in mind.

: /
  • just going through it online myself, luckily we've agreed all the money / house / childcare etc between us, will come to less than a grand in the end.
  • edited August 2012
    In similar uncontested circumstances many years ago I just did it myself by getting the forms direct from www.direct.gov.uk. The other shysters charge you for the forms you get free if you apply direct. The court fee to start divorce proceeding is currently £340 but can get a discount if on particular benefits or low income. Just keep the lawyers out of this if it is an amicable divorce.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

aliwibble said:

How the hell did you find out? lol

• just going through it online myself, luckily we've agreed all the money / house / childcare etc between us, will come to less than a grand in the end.

Best way to do it if you can. Had I known what was involved going through the solicitors, I would never have agreed to it. The amount of money I paid my solicitor was outrageous, given I was doing all the negotiating, they should have bloody been paying me! The number of mistakes they made were outrageous, I pointed them out yet they charged me for the privilege of changing them. It makes my blood boil.

Anyway, in the past, dont want to go back there again thank you very much :-)

• ...forgot to mention, apart from the £30k I've agreed to give her!!.....GRRRRRRR
  • That what gets me a woman decides she wants off with someone else or just makes a lifestyle change and you are hamstrung paying out for the rest of your days.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

aliwibble said:

How the hell did you find out? lol

I had the same "arrangement" with the both of them too
  • Be wary of cheap lawyers. They tend to have a habit of going over everything and subtlety stirring trouble so that one party hires a different lawyer while the other hires them and ends up paying a lot than anticipated. I messy divorce suits the lawyer, because the longer it gets strung out the more they can charge. That said I reckon between £500-£600 should be a reasonable price.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's amicable, everything is sorted - why on earth do you need lawyers??
    File the papers in court.
    Why throw away £500??
  • Use Quickie Divorce - very easy, they are very helpful and it is cheap.
  • as a young man, I have to ask - is it all worth it? (rhetorical question). It costs a fortune to get married and a small fortune to get divorced. CBA with all that. Nowadays marriages are a bit of a joke.
  • Be wary of cheap lawyers. They tend to have a habit of going over everything and subtlety stirring trouble so that one party hires a different lawyer while the other hires them and ends up paying a lot than anticipated. I messy divorce suits the lawyer, because the longer it gets strung out the more they can charge. That said I reckon between £500-£600 should be a reasonable price.

As I understand it, a firm of solicitors cannot represent both parties due to "conflicts of interest". So you are saddled with two lots of fees and the inherent inefficiency that brings.
  • as a young man, I have to ask - is it all worth it? (rhetorical question). It costs a fortune to get married and a small fortune to get divorced. CBA with all that. Nowadays marriages are a bit of a joke.

Not sure you can generalise about that in such broad terms, but I can see why you'd think that.

Not sure if the risk of a divorce ever really enters peoples heads when it comes to marriage as nobody will ever enter into it thinking in such a negative way .. and if they did then I guess they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Not sure you can generalise about that in such broad terms, but I can see why you'd think that.

Not sure if the risk of a divorce ever really enters peoples heads when it comes to marriage as nobody will ever enter into it thinking in such a negative way .. and if they did then I guess they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
    Yer it is like that looking in though. Most of the celebrity marriages I know about off the top of my head = short marriages, bitter divorces, etc. There's not many famous couples that stand out as being happily married. I just think years ago it was harder to get a divorce and people married for life. Nowadays its so rare for marriages to reach 30 years+.
    I agree about the negative bit, would be pointless to think about the bitter divorce when you marry.

As someone who has just celebrated 10 years of marriage and is as happy now as I was then, I'd have to say yes. Feel sorry for anyone going through it, especially if kids are involved.
  • it will certainly make me think twice about doing it again!

Yer it is like that looking in though. Most of the celebrity marriages I know about off the top of my head = short marriages, bitter divorces, etc. There's not many famous couples that stand out as being happily married. I just think years ago it was harder to get a divorce and people married for life. Nowadays its so rare for marriages to reach 30 years+.
    I agree about the negative bit, would be pointless to think about the bitter divorce when you marry.
    Don't confuse "celebrity" with "normal" :o)

Most celebrity marriages/divorces are the equivalent of us normal folk going on a few dates with someone then calling it quits.
  • I was using it as an example - they're just normal people too you know.