Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Timeshares are they really that bad nowadays?

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
I am on a discounted trial week in tenerife i won't be buying but today had to endure the pitch as part of the deal - all my wifes idea i might add - with Club la Costa.

Views?

Comments

• Options
    Do NOT go near ANY of them. Huge amount of unfair contractual terms, hidden charges and dodgy 'fees' and virtually impossible to get rid off if you want to.

And the industry is full of some very heavy duty criminals too!
  • Options
    Many many things to think about. Would you make use of it 100%? Would you be happy to be fixed for location of holidays? Will it be cheaper than just booking something on the hop? I had one in the south of France with my ex very close to her family that worked out great for us.
  • Options
    Did a 'trial week' in Tenerife about 20 years ago. Cost me £140 for the flights and my spending money whilst out there.

Had a fantastic week, two or three parties and BBQs thrown in to tempt us, plus a few free drinks and buffets throughout the week and all this at a five star complex.

When it came to the hard sell bit, I just said there's no way I can afford it. They tried the different mortgage route, the savings plan and the Credit Card route. I just said 'no thanks'.

They gave up on me after two hours - so got away lightly.

Absolutely fantastic time - even got some duty frees thrown in to take home.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Jeez i wish mine had been like that, just think ant infestation in our bed and very convenient for the airport ( almost on the end of runway 1) aside from that not too bad
  • Options
    Please don't even consider it: a massive rip-off.

Btw: an old schoolmate of mine eventually got into the timeshare business. Previously, after dropping out of dental school, he'd been a very heavy duty drug dealer with exceptionally heavy duty thugs at his command.

I suspect this might not be untypical of the timeshare business, so I'd give it a wide berth if I were you. Or at least don't complain in too bothersome a manner when you're dissatisfied with the service.
  • Options
    A mate took this up and acted in a very strange and eccentric manner and they left him after 20-30 mins! A superb tactic if you're bold enough!
  • Options
    I actually hate these sun sand and sea holidays, but what to do with a 3 and 12 yr old?
  • Options
    Don't trust them
  • Options
    They get terrible press here in Phuket. Some are good (particularly in the USA) but most are not. I think if you were in at the beginning of the timeshare business in the 1980s you did ok but too many crooks and scammers in the business since then.

Using the internet you can find similar hotel and apartment deals at a cheaper price than the annual "administration fees" that are charged to look after a timeshare property, sometimes in exactly the same location.

So, quite simply, don't do it!
  • Options
    You can also rent properties for reasonable amounts and less hassle so why timeshare is the question?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Under no circumstances buy time share from Club La Costa. A couple that I know bought from them and they've had nothing but trouble and zero possibility of getting their investment back. The McMoists own about 21 weeks of time share with McDonalds Hotels and Resorts (Scottish Company) and have 000's of points attached to those weeks but they have been acquired on the cheap over a number of years. If we didn't rent those weeks that we don't use, the maintenance would cripple us financially. With the number of points we have, we can literally go on holiday when we want to anywhere in the world. Whilst we're having a good time at the moment, we don't have an exit strategy and ultimately we'll probably have to write-off a lot of what is owned.
  • Options
    razil said:

I am on a discounted trial week in tenerife i won't be buying but today had to endure the pitch as part of the deal - all my wifes idea i might add - with Club la Costa.

Views?

Are you 'swingers'??

:-O

• Options
    JT said:

Don't trust them

3 and 12 year old kids are rarely that dishonest !

• Options
    Did i mention no a/c either, and my son running around with his Andrews top on..
  • Options

I was very tempted by the Disney vacation club a few years back, but couldn't afford it then.
    Is anyone else in the vacation club?

I've heard it's a bit mickey mouse
  • Options
    How does one get 'invited' to one of these discounted trial holidays? I can see it would be worth spending half a day being 'sold' to for a cheap holiday.
  • Options
    Have done discounted trial holidays with Marriott a couple of times now. Superb mini breaks even if you have to put up with a couple of hours of hard sell. Probably worth an investment if you can afford it. I can't!