Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the striker dying out?

Watching the Arsenal Liverpool match and neither team have a proper striker on the bench. In fact Liverpool only have 2 senior strikers in the entire squad, and teams like Chelsea and Spurs seem pretty short in that area too, so have teams watched Spain at Euro 2012 and decided you can play 4 attacking midfielders instead of proper strikers and wingers? Will this filter down the leagues anytime soon, or is it just a fad?

Comments

• Options
    An interesting question for debate. Only the VERY best sides, teams capable of intricate passing, pace and superb ball retention will ever attempt to play without a striker or at least with a 'withdrawn' striker.
    West Ham have loaned an out & out striker in Carrol, Sunderland have spent a fortune on Fletcher, Dzeko and Tevez at the champs are pretty much out & out strikers. Only the very best sides will get away with a 'no striker policy'.
    For my part, the long ball for a nod on is part and parcel of the game. All the tippy tappy stuff is OK, but it's a little bit insipid.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Don't think it's dying out just think mgrs are trying to be too clever

In liverpools case it was Rodgers attempt of doing a AVB and clearing out players with no real plan of who or how to replace them

Clint dempsey was his main target then there is something wrong with the man

As Mickey Quinn said this morning AVB means another vacancy beckons well Liverpool are a team that is in disarray and that little quip by Quinn could be describing his own team

Very ordinary easy to defend against no real quality on display bar sterling

Suarez looks busy but no real product

Gerrard is very predictable and does not seem to have the drive at the moment that he does posess

Defensively weak

Rodgers won't be there long

Arsenal on the other hand do have striking options

They may not be a typical number 9 but seem to hold a real threat going forward from wide positions
  • Options

Don't think it's dying out just think mgrs are trying to be too clever

In liverpools case it was Rodgers attempt of doing a AVB and clearing out players with no real plan of who or how to replace them

Clint dempsey was his main target then there is something wrong with the man

As Mickey Quinn said this morning AVB means another vacancy beckons well Liverpool are a team that is in disarray and that little quip by Quinn could be describing his own team

Very ordinary easy to defend against no real quality on display bar sterling

Suarez looks busy but no real product

Gerrard is very predictable and does not seem to have the drive at the moment that he does posess

Defensively weak

Rodgers won't be there long

Arsenal on the other hand do have striking options

They may not be a typical number 9 but seem to hold a real threat going forward from wide positions

Agreed, many managers are too cute for school. They're swayed and wooed by foreigners with exotic names and no talent other than finding a good agent. What can Sahin offer Liverpool that Shelvey or indeed Spearing cannot ? .. Off topic a bit .... sorry !!!!
  • Options
    Shelvey done more in ten mins offensively than the whole Liverpool team bar sterling

And there has been a huge fire alarm at anfield

They have all left
  • Options
    I just find it interesting how Man City and Man United have the likes of Aguero, Rooney, Tevez, Van Persie, Dzeko, Hernandez and Balotelli, compared to teams like Chelsea who I think only have Torres and Sturridge(marin, hazard, oscar, mata etc are all midfielders, anyone else I have forgotten?) and as above with Liverpool.

I personally think its a fad, teams will be so hell bent on tippy tappy shit and it will be easy to defend ala chelsea vs barcelona last season, and teams who have the players that can mix it and change it up will come to the fore.
  • Options
    No, I think the loan striker is massively coming in though. The 4231 formation is the 'in' formation at the moment as with top players in the '3', their movement in between midfield and defence can be devastating.
  • Options
    I think Brendan Rodgers has just screwed up. He should not have let Carroll go without a replacement being lined up. Still, Emile Heskey is still available if he desperately needs a big striker before the squads are confirmed.
  • Options
    Either Owen or drogba, anelka are all available still as free agents

If I was him I'd go for all three and hope I got one
  • Options
    As long as it wasnt Owen...
  • Options
    Bet thats the only one he does get
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think too many managers are thinking that they can replicate the 'barca' style of football.
    Trouble is they are exceptional with world class players.
    At the lower end of the ability scale, as a theory it all sounds and can look wonderful when it works, but it does tend to throw out the last 50 years of football theory that you can lob the ball up, have a holding player and lay it off.
    In the end you win, or lose as a team, but you have to have somebody to put the ball in the back of the net, and when they get injured some on else to step in.
    I love passing free flowing football, but I like winning more