Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any other U11 coaches out there

edited September 2012 in Other Football and Sports
My team played their first PSF yesterday in the season which moves them up to 9-a-side, bigger pitch and goals, offside rules, proper refs and cards !

It was great fun as it evolved and the lads loved it but were knack'd - any experience to share?

Comments

• Options
    Give it time I coach at under 12, last season they went from 7 a side to 11 a side they were also tired for the first couple of games even this year after todays game they were shattered, fitness comes with matches training helps but it is no substitute for game time.Try concentrating on passing and moving into space rather than long lung bursting runs, hope this helps
  • Options
    Started out helping #1 sons coach for three years U8-u10, Then coached #2 sons U9s and U10s before he was caught out by the age rules (he played a year up) then I dropped back to coach U6, U7s and now U8s with #3 son. I'm sure I'll make it to u11's one day (though #1 son may take over before then!)

Down in sunny (well, actually rainy) Devon U11s is 9-a-side, but with no offsides. U12 is 9-a-side with offside, which is #2 sons age-group.

They had their first PSF v a team promoted from their league 2 weeks ago and lost 11-4. The other side are good, but we were way behind on fitness. Last week they played a team from another local league over in Dorset and it was a complete waste of time, we won 30-3 with one lad scoring 15!. It was 6-1 after 5 mins, so we asked there coach if he wanted to put two more subs on, but he wouldn't & we only had 8 players!

Leagues started this weekend #2 had his opening league game yesterday, they played well and drew 3-3 with team that dropped down a league last season so not so bad. Both sides were blowing hard in the last 10 mins!

My Eldest played 11-a-side at U12 and it took him half a season to get up to speed with the fitness. He'd last about 20 mins a half and then he'd be hanging on. It didn't help that they'd gone up a division and were getting humped each week.

• Options
    Played 3-4-1 today against a team 3 divisions above us. Held our own in midfield but some silliness at the back and striker not really sure how to play on his own up front (not sure I knew either though).

So hot !

Lost 4-2 but fantastic effort from the boys - got their new match and training tops and look the biz.
  • Options
    Good effort PL54,

Difficult to play one up, obviously you're trying to create an overload in midfield, whilst the opposition's overload is in defense, so the key is for your striker try and occupy two defenders and negate the overload. Rather than stand on one he needs to be in between two and preferably drag the central defender (if they play 3) out of position to create space for your spare man in midfield. Quite a selfless approach and hard for a U11 to take i'd imagine!

For my tribe:
    #1 won 8-5 but he's picked up a groin strain :0(
    #2 played a year up for the U13s, but they lost 6-0 :0((
    #3 won 5-2 and 5-0 and scored in each game :0D

• Options
    Does anyone look at individual performances as opposed to the team? Formations count for diddly squat at this age.....they don't understand it. 13+ is the age group to really go into formations.
  • Options
    Great age to be playing football, fun and competitive. In a few years time you'll get intimidation and fighting, and that's just from the parents.
  • Options

Does anyone look at individual performances as opposed to the team? Formations count for diddly squat at this age.....they don't understand it. 13+ is the age group to really go into formations.

So neither a right winger or a center back at the age of 10/11 have an understanding of their relative roles ?

You are wrong.

• Options
    We won the league by the way !

All came down to the last game this weekend - if our closest rival had won they would have pipped us on GD. As it is they could only muster a draw.

Happy days.