Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Scholes

Is he the Premier leagues best ever midfielder and or player? Im personally not sure of that, although his fellow pros seem to speak very highly of him in that sense.

After seeing how he changed the game for united against soton on the weekend at the age of 37, it must have reminded people what a good player he still is. He is a great reader of the game, has such great vision and spot on accurate passing.

I like that he is very private with his life and pretty much hides from the media. He said in a rare interview that he loves to be critiscised so he can prove people wrong, he hates being complimented. Thought that was interesting in a way.

What annoys me is that he could have done a job for england in the last 2 finals tournaments. If I was Hodgson I would have sent him a text saying he is a coward for shying away from playing for his country and who has not really proven himself at international level. A load of jibberish but if you have an urgancy to prove people wrong, then anything like that could get the neccessary response.

Could have been Englands version of a Pirlo...

Comments

• Options
    can't tackle.............wouldn't swap him for parker
  • Options
    Scholes is about ten times the player Beckham was, on a different planet actually.

The way he changed the game on Sunday was extraordinary, even at 37 Saints could not get near him.
  • Options
    Met him once in Manchester and I can tell you he also a very nice man as well as a top class footballer!! He did however park in the disabled spot at the restaurant...
  • Options
    Always liked Scholesy meself, not sure about best Prem player ever though!
  • Options
    Giggs is the greatest ever player in the english league in my opinion, Scholes not far off.
    Although i reckon scholes is a lot more popular.
  • Options
    Best ever midfielder in terms of talent at the time has to be Ronaldo, but if it's for keeping at a suberb level for year after year, has to be Giggs and Scholes.
  • Options
    Also won one of the best goal of the months ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzUyYOCKzcE
  • Options

Scholes is about ten times the player Beckham was, on a different planet actually.

Don't agree with that at all. Scholes was 20 times better! He's retired and come back into the first team and still able to do the business at the very top level. I would put Giggs in front of him but only by a cats whisker.
  • Options
    There is some absolute scorchers in that video JT.

As for Prems best player? Not so sure myself, too much of a liability going into a tackle, especially for a centre midfielder. Certainly up there though. Scholes a much better player than Giggs IMO, who regardless of how long he's been going for wouldn't make it in my top 20 players. Massively over rated.
  • Options
    Why compare Scholes to Beckham? Both brilliant players for United in theirvown right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some cracking goals there!
  • Options
    Great player but had that element of spitefulness in him. Never the less has has been the best midfielder of his generation and his loss to Englnad was immense.
  • Options
    I thought Scholes made himself "available" for the last tournament only for Hodgson to ignore it.
  • Options
    Bejaysus, I thought for a mo we had signed him! On recent evidence we could squeeze him in....
  • Options
    Best player I've ever seen in the Premiership. Admittedly, not the best tackler, but his passing and vision more than compensate. On top of that, his role wasn't a ball-winning role, it was a ball-playing role - hence Ferguson always balancing his midfield with a more competent tackler alongside.
    I always think the views of the pros who have played the game at that level, and particularly those played with and against him are true testament to a player's greatness. Opposition managers would always ear-mark him as the main threat to try and nullify and the majority of his peers say he's the best so who are we to argue?!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say there is 'spitefulness' in his tackling, more just a matter of him not being very good at it!
  • Options
    Read somewhere that during training any player sneaking off to have a pee up a tree had to be careful as scholes would hit them with a ball Kicked from any distance
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    Outstanding player, one of the best i've certainly ever seen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

I wouldn't say there is 'spitefulness' in his tackling, more just a matter of him not being very good at it!

That's what I thought until he "retired" & admitted that his tackles wren't mistimed, but he did it on purpose.
  • Options
    Rather have an in-form Gerrard than an in-form Scholes any day personally, but hey, that's just me.
  • Options
    Managers and Pros alike rave about Scholes. Consistently excellent but without the tricks and skills of a Zidane, Del Pierro or other great attacking midfielders - however, to perform for as long as he did for one of the biggest clubs in the World - supreme talent, just not headline grabbing.
  • Options
    Dis-like the bloke. On quite a few occasions at The Valley & OT he "mistimed" tackles and always laughed about it with the ref. In 1 match at The Valley he should have had 3 yellow-cards at least.
  • Options
    Fantastic player and surely one of the most consistent in the Premier League, amazing that he is still going.

I have friends that live in Saddleworth near Oldham, where he lives. He's often in the village and liked by everyone apparently. Very down to earth and a top lad and this comes from a city fan :)
  • Options

cafctom said:

That's what I thought until he "retired" & admitted that his tackles wren't mistimed, but he did it on purpose.
    Next, the pope is catholic shock.

Scholes was and is an excellent tackler but he was also Utd's enforcer and knew exactly what he was doing. Always made me laugh when the media made excuses for his tackles.

• Options
    supaclive said:

Managers and Pros alike rave about Scholes. Consistently excellent but without the tricks and skills of a Zidane, Del Pierro or other great attacking midfielders - however, to perform for as long as he did for one of the biggest clubs in the World - supreme talent, just not headline grabbing.

Think Zidane once said scholes was the best player i've ever played against
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

supaclive said:

Think Zidane once said scholes was the best player i've ever played against
    Yea I'm certain zidane said that too
  • Options
    Zidane and Xavi amongst others have said he was the best player they'd come up against