Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goalkeepers

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
With the signing of Button and the very promising Nick Pope we are most likely going to have some very decent GK'S in the near future.It will be interesting how it pans out.
I know CP said he intended to loan out Sullivan so not sure how that will work out.On the latter, at the player of the year do, he made a massive effort to talk to as many fans as he could, young and old.He seemed a top bloke,so if he does go on loan I wish him well.Unless he plays against us and then I hope he concedes six,sorry John!

Comments

• Options
    A lot of people don't rate Sullivan, which given the time he's actually spent on the pitch I find a bit harsh. However, it seems CP agrees. That said, I think he's a top bloke - the way he celebrated our promotion proves he felt a part of the team last year despite the limited opportunities he had.
  • Options
    Well said Saga
  • Options
    At 24 years old, he's desperate to play. You can't blame him.

He was reliable as Yeovil's keeper on loan a couple of seasons ago.

And he quite likely first came to Charlton on keeper coach Ben Roberts say so, as they'd both previously worked together at Yeovil.

Sullivan has all the makings of a decent keeper. He just needs games.
  • Options
    When we had him on loan he was seen as a real threat to Elliot and I think a number of us were dissapointed when Elliot went back into the team after injury. I suspect that Sullivan has been a real vistim of a lack of a reserve team and that his few appearances whilst not been great have been affected by lack of match fitness. He is at the end of his contract in the summer, I believe so the club is allowing him to show the world what he can do prior to moving on.
  • Options
    I agree that Sullivan is a decent keeper, but I think we should sell him rather than loan him out. Powell clearly rates Hamer and Button above him, and Pope is meant to be a good prospect. All 3 of them are young so not sure where Sullivan fits in really. Seems a nice bloke, and seems to have handled being number 2 in a really professional way. Be sad to see him go just don't see the point in loaning him out.
  • Options
    I am glad we didn't loan him out before the window shut because we can now see what opportunities may arise from Leagues One and Two .

The advantage of an emergency loan would be that it will almost certainly be triggered by an injury to an established Goalkeeper ,but we would have an opportunity to pull him back after the first month if there was a problem with either Button or Hamer , so effectively he would remain our third choice Keeper .
  • Options
    I agree that lack of games is a problem for any player,especially a goalkeeper, I have always believed that it is a false economy scrapping the reserves as players out of the team get rusty without competitive matches. Sullivan has always seemed to be to have a good attitude but has not impressed in his few outings. Now he is down to third choice it would be better for him to move on with everyone's best wishes.
  • Options
    Once Pope is back from injury, we'll have plenty of cover even without Sullivan, so it would make sense to let him make a start elsewhere.
  • Options
    Do you think Pope is ready for Championship football? Sorry, but I don't - nowhere near.
  • Options
    I think Sullivan will go in Jan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree that lack of games is a problem for any player,especially a goalkeeper, I have always believed that it is a false economy scrapping the reserves as players out of the team get rusty without competitive matches. Sullivan has always seemed to be to have a good attitude but has not impressed in his few outings. Now he is down to third choice it would be better for him to move on with everyone's best wishes.

he was third choice at millwall when they got in the championship, so it's no surprise that he's also become third choice at charlton, now that we're back in the championship. I think maybe that he's not seen as good enough cover for this division or not up to challenging hamer for the shirt and therefore I would expect him to go on loan somewhere in the third division with a view to a permanent move in January.

• Options
    There are a LOT of excellent keepers playing in England right now.
    WBA .. have England newbie Sam Johnstone and our old boy David Button
    Last season they loaned the excellent Alex Palmer to Lincoln, and this season another WBA youngster Josh Griffiths is getting rave reviews at Lincoln 

Watch him last night (15/9) for Lincoln V Rotherham, a 1-1 draw should have been a 1-5 loss

Lincoln 1-1 Rotherham | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
  • Options
    Is Jon Sullivan still an estate agent in Vegas? I followed him when I was on social
    media but closed all my accounts a few years ago
  • Options
    Is Jon Sullivan still an estate agent in Vegas? I followed him when I was on social
    media but closed all my accounts a few years ago
    here he is .. John Sullivan | The John Sullivan Group (huntingtonandellis.com)
  • Options
    Ben Hamer in goal for Swansea last night.