Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Radio Commentary

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
I often am unable to attend matches and rely on live radio commentary. But this year it has disappeared - I can't find any live commentary of Charlton matches anywhere - last year it was on Radio Kent medium wave every week. Can anyone tell me if there is a regular radio commentary out there somewhere. Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CAFC Player..................................
  • Options
    Depends where abouts you are,but Radio London covers Charlton,I know it is with other London clubs but its better than nothing.
  • Options

Try the opposition club's local radio station (via the internet). Have a look at the other club's website for an indication as to who the local radio station might be or ask on here (someone will probably live in the area and know).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Here's an article I wrote in the Hull City programme:

There was bad news for supporters in Kent last week when the BBC switched off its MW service, which regularly broadcasts audio commentaries of Charlton’s games.
    BBC Radio Kent is one of four stations to have all stopped broadcasting regular programmes on medium wave as part of a national five-week trial, and is instead directing listeners to its FM frequency or digital radio.
    The BBC, under pressure to make savings, will assess the reaction of listeners, but football fans are likely to be the biggest losers, with local BBC stations regularly using AM frequencies to provide extra coverage of clubs’ games.
    The only place to be guaranteed live audio coverage of Charlton’s matches is the club’s subscription website, CAFC Player, which has now been improved so that supporters can pause and rewind the audio commentaries.
    What’s more, season-ticket holders can get one month free when they sign up using the form that accompanied their season-ticket booklets.
    CAFC Player is available from £37.99 per year and £4.49 per month, and more details are available via www.cafc.co.uk.
  • Options
    Not sure how this fullfills the bbc 'public service remit' by not covering regional/local games.
    I think the claim for this to be saving money is really a weak excuse.
    Good on CAFC to provide a radio service, but we do pay a licence fee, and this type of excuse could be used to justify most sport coverage. What about fans unable to come to home matches living in Kent.
    Try using the excuse of no money on radio 3, and why have a national pop station Radio 1.
    Nothing to do with Charlton, just excuses to me........
  • Options
    BBC Kent online has Dartford v Hyde.

great.
  • Options
    radio London has Palace @ Bolton
  • Options
    sport, every year moves further & further down the BBC list of priorities .. except the reallly big events of course. I would wager all the underused commentators and producers are still getting their salaries though .. but no more racing on TV soon and I wonder how long the beeb can keep the 6 Nations rugby. Local FM/AM service is quite good but online /the web ? .. forget it
  • Options

sport, every year moves further & further down the BBC list of priorities .. except the reallly big events of course. I would wager all the underused commentators and producers are still getting their salaries though .. but no more racing on TV soon and I wonder how long the beeb can keep the 6 Nations rugby. Local FM/AM service is quite good but online /the web ? .. forget it

Would you support an increase in the license fee to give the BBC the find to compete for the big sport contracts?
  • Options

Would you support an increase in the license fee to give the BBC the find to compete for the big sport contracts?
    what's the fee now ? .. about £3.00 a week, great value really, radio Tv, website .. it's different for me, I live miles from London where there are a LOT of clubs competing for airtime and I don't expect national coverage of all games in all divisions. If the beeb started a sports channel on TV and the content was quality, I'd be prepared to pay a subscription .. the key is, the quality of the content .. lower league football, handball, racing from Wincanton, second division rugby, lacrosse, hockey .. I don't think so
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

what's the fee now ? .. about £3.00 a week, great value really, radio Tv, website .. it's different for me, I live miles from London where there are a LOT of clubs competing for airtime and I don't expect national coverage of all games in all divisions. If the beeb started a sports channel on TV and the content was quality, I'd be prepared to pay a subscription .. the key is, the quality of the content .. lower league football, handball, racing from Wincanton, second division rugby, lacrosse, hockey .. I don't think so
    But that service already exists Lincs, it's called Sky TV.

• Options

But that service already exists Lincs, it's called Sky TV.

I don't understand your reply .. sorry .. are you saying that Sky sports coverage is rubbish ?
  • Options
    No, that Sky Sports is a subscription channel showing quality sport - where's the market opportunity for the BBC to set-up a similar channel?
  • Options
    Would you support an increase in the license fee to give the BBC the find ?? (funds ?) to compete for the big sport contracts? Quote

that was your questioin .. my answer then is NO .. the licence fee would have to increase by a large amount to allow the BBC to compete with sky .. I would not be prepared to pay a sky fee and a larger licence fee .. AND, we are all sports fans on here, believe it or not, nationwide we are in a big minority .. most would not touch the idea of a bigger licence fee to pay for more sport with a bargepole
  • Options
    Well then I would say you can't really complain about it dropping down the BBC's priorities list. As you say sport fans are actually in a minority as a proportion of the general public, at least fans of each individual sport are. the BBC have a finite pot of money and the cost of the major sporting TV deals are just too high and the proportion of people watching them too low for them to justify spending such a huge chunk of their pot of money on them because if they did their other programming would suffer badly. I believe the BBC get around 3.5bn per year in licence fee and Sky have just paid 2.3bn over 3 years for their share of the next round of Premiership TV rights. That's obviously the biggest contract, but even then something like the F1 costs sky 45m per season. To get back some of the sports that were traditionally covered by the Beeb would probably costs around a third of their annual budget - probably not value for money for your average licence fee payer.

Sadly the BBC have been priced out of the market and there is really nothing they can do about it. When they do get sporting events they throw a lot of effort into them imo - when they did have exclusive rights to the F1 they did a very good job of it and their Olympic coverage was also good and pretty much wall to wall so I don't think it's fair to say its down their priorities, it's just their business model means they don't have a prayer of securing the rights any more, unless there is legislation to say it must be on terrestrial TV. In that scenario they're better off walking away from it and focussing their efforts on the stuff they can still compete with - they are, imho, still able to produce most of the best drama and documentaries made in the UK as well as a lot of the better comedy, and I'd still trust their news coverage over just about anyone else's, not to mention their generally excellent radio stations. They also give chances to a lot of new talent that wouldn't get the platform on some of the commercial stations. Personally i think that far more fulfils their public service remit than chasing over priced sport.

Tough on people whop don't want to pay for Sky, but the price of Ferraris is tough on most people who would like to own one.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    Welcome back :-)
  • Options
    Yesterdays game was on BBC Kent Medium Wave, I did not found this little nugget out until after the game, might be worth trying on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Was advertised on Radio Kent all week - heard it at least half a dozen times after the big build up for Gills v Rochdale.
  • Options
    Welcome back Airman. You have been missed!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good vid. It's fashionable to slag the Beeb off and Sky staff do a terrific job on knocking the concept of public service broadcasting at every opportunity. Good to see such a list of the goodies the BBC has given us. For me, Radio 4 is worth the licence fee alone.
  • Options
    You can't expect Radio London to cover us when we are at home.............try going to the game. They do usually cover us away (i've listened to their covergae of us at Derby & Ipswich) so no complaints from me.
  • Options
    I believe tonight's game is on BBC Kent MW
  • Options
    Does anyone know what's happened with our coverage on BBC Radio Kent. For the last few seasons they have covered all of our Saturday away games - and from what I can tell they broadcast a little quicker than the Charlton Player. Today I see they are broadcasting Gills v Crewe; this fits the pattern of other recent Saturdays. Does anyone know, have BBC Kent decided that we're out of their catchment or are there some contractual issues (like someone turning the screw to get everyone to sign up to the player)? Is this likely to be long term or will Charlton be back on the radio after a while?
  • Options
    I think as we no longer take BBC's feed for CAFC player, they have no need to send commentators to cover CAFC matches. (Good Bye Emma ;-))
  • Options
    Cheers Dansk. Sad situation - I shall miss Emma, though I may be the only one ;-)
  • Options
    Stig said:

Does anyone know what's happened with our coverage on BBC Radio Kent. For the last few seasons they have covered all of our Saturday away games - and from what I can tell they broadcast a little quicker than the Charlton Player. Today I see they are broadcasting Gills v Crewe; this fits the pattern of other recent Saturdays. Does anyone know, have BBC Kent decided that we're out of their catchment or are there some contractual issues (like someone turning the screw to get everyone to sign up to the player)? Is this likely to be long term or will Charlton be back on the radio after a while?

Yes sadly Mine and Emma's commentary was dropped, I think due to low listener numbers. BBC London still send a reporter to each game but no live comms.