Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slugs

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
Currently suffering from slugs getting into my kitchen at night. Somehow they get in near the backdoor and I presume go out again the same way, leaving a formula one track trail on my mat. Except when I come in late and find three of them on my kitchen floor, which I lob into next doors.garden.

Seriously, how do I go about stopping it. Got two year old twins who eat.left over breakfast off the kitchen floor so can't put anything poisionous down. have no idea how they get in or out.

Comments

• Options
    Try salt mate put a line across the floor at the back door they hate that should work worth a go
  • Options
    Did that a few weeks ago and worked for a few days, but can't do that permenantly
  • Options
    That's only safe way I know mate if you got little ones
  • Options
    Air Rifle
  • Options
    Hi me again copied this from the Internet might help : I had the same problem and bought some Copper tape that gives the slugs a little shock - it doesn't kill them it just stops them crossing the threshold if you put the tape along your doorframe floor.

I got mine from eBay. It was recommended by a garden programme :O)
  • Options
    Get some hedghogs for you kitchen
  • Options
    Copper tape works so does a small container with beer in it left outside, but I'm guessing that you won't want to sleep on the doorstep every night ;-)
  • Options
    Just add some garlic, white wine, onions, some parsley and a bit of black pepper.

Works in France.
  • Options
    Get killer snails they take them out in a battle of the doorstep

Great fun to watch when they get going but the stand off and march towards the battle zone can take a while
  • Options
    and perhaps buy the twins thier own bowls and spoons so they don't have to eat your left over breakfast off the floor.
    chuckle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Use salt. We had a massive invasion of slugs for about a month recently. As the rain dried up they disappeared. Spiders are now taking over. Cobwebs everywhere and hardly any midges, bees or wasps. Has been a weird summer.
  • Options

Copper tape works so does a small container with beer in it left outside, but I'm guessing that you won't want to sleep on the doorstep every night ;-)

This works really well, the copper is expensive but lasts for years and slugs wont crossover it.

• Options
    Buy a hedgehog and a few toads
  • Options
    Put 2p's across the door this works the same as copper tape
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Typical comment by the affluent stinking rich ;0)

• Options

smiffyboy said:

Typical comment by the affluent stinking rich ;0)

No change there then ;-))
  • Options
    2p's or not 2p's that is the question..
  • Options
    Get Simon Francis to race them
  • Options
    How do you know your kitchen floor is dirty?
    The slugs leave a trail on the floor that reads "clean me"!

• Options
    A flame thrower works wonders!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:

A flame thrower works wonders!

but before you know it the slugs start bulding up their weapons as well.....

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I had wooden floors and they'd come in through the gap in the skirting board. Do you have lot of planters or flower beds close to the kitchen with lots of places for them to hide? Or is the neighbours garden the culprit? I find they hide around planters and things like that so may be reorganise the garden to encourage them away from the door may help.

Beer has always been used as slug trap. You can buy slug traps at your local garden centre. I have never heard of the copper tape solution but here's a link

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200357&pf_id=LS8725D&gclid=CM7Eu5DUpbICFeTHtAodsiwAGg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    If you go down the copper tape route, why not connect it up to a 12volt battery, that way you'll have a nice tasty snack ready for breakfast time!
  • Options
    Not another Slug thread? Can't you do a search?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    There was a leopard slug in our garden last night :-)
  • Options
    Had a similar problem at uni. Put down slug pellets around the outside of the walls.
  • Options
    Din't kill 'em, get something that eats 'em

• Options
    PL54 said:

Din't kill 'em, get something that eats 'em

Bear Grylls.
  • Options
    I have a spare pack of the Slug Cu tape which I can give to you on Friday if that helps.
  • Options
    I can never catch the buggers. Too quick for me!