Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky-Dive (22nd September)

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
In a moment of weakness several months ago (inspired by the Red Devils landing at The Valley), I agreed to do a sky-dive with a colleague. We are doing it for sponship and we have chosen Cancer Research UK.

I am now really really, getting nervous now. Perhaps as bad as my nerves before the Playoff Final.

Has anyone else done a sky-dive and if so how did you find it? Enjoyable? Frightening?

Is anyone able to offer any advice?

Thanks,

www.justgiving.com/skydive-for-cancer-research-uk

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant, did my Tandem dive from 13,000 feet a few years ago, make sure you get it videoed by someone jumping with you, most jump clubs offer this service, they have the cameras strapped to their helmets, you wont regret jumping! Just enjoy the day.
    Oh and take an umbrella in case the chute dont open! ;o)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Doing one in the 1st week of October. ; )
    Oh and Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Did a static line jump from 2000 feet some years back and it scared the life out of me - but was quite exciting too! I've just donated to your just-giving site( www.justgiving.com/skydive-for-cancer-research-uk) as I was diagnosed with cancer last year. A tough course of radiotherapy at the end of last year and into this year has, however, cured me and I'm now cancer free so I am very happy to donate to cancer research!! Good luck!
  • Options
    cafc-west, many thanks for your donation! And congrats on your superb news!
  • Options
    Did a 2000 foot static jump at Headcorn a few years back and it was great, kids bought me a tandem sky dive for my birthday as well but I was having blood pressure problems and the sky dive club would not let me do it until my doctor gave the all clear.

cafc-west, great news fella, glad you made a full recovery.
  • Options
    Well played Cafc-west. Nice news.

Would love to do a sky dive anywhere but somewhere like Australia over the gold coast would be the doggies titties
  • Options
    Did a 14 or 15k jump in Cairns, Australia a couple of years back, got a view of the barrier reef and other amazing scenery.

One of the best experiences I have and probably will ever have. I was the first out the plane and was so hyped up for it I couldn't wait, no nerves or dread at all before it. I know this may sound stupid but don't let nerves and worrying about the worst get the better of you. It is incredibly safe and the experience is not worth watering down worrying about won't happen. One girl in my group was in tears before she was sent out but on the ground she wanted to go again. You will do it and start looking for other locations afterwards.

Worst experience was the next day doing a bungee jump.....If you have done a bungee before you are in for a great time in comparison!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Options
    If i have only one word of advice, please learn from my dear dear departed Uncle Tony RIP, please leave the rucksack containing your packed lunch on the ground before the plane takes off. Hope this helps?
  • Options
    Did a 13000ft tandem 3 years ago. Loved it. Would honestly recommend it to every single person. Make sure you get it filmed, know a couple of people who didn't and regret it, plus some of the photos you get from the video are quality.
    Most of all enjoy it, it's goes so quick.
  • Options
    Done a 14,000ft jump a couple of years ago here in West Australia. Like others have said Brilliant, best buzz I have ever had! (and I have had a few!!) Likewise I agreed to do it in a moment of weakness, with my ex. So glad I did now and would have gone straight back up and done another one if a huge sandstorm hadn't come through.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for your advice and support. I'm feeling (slightly) better now.

I'm planning to keep my eyes closed from the point when we board the plane until we are out of the door!

Fingers crossed for good, clear weather on 22nd September.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for their positive and calming comments. We jumped on Saturday PM into a beautiful blue sky. Loved it. However, it was terrifying from start to finish.

My thoughts go out to the family of the skydiver who was killed at another skydiving centre on the same afternoon. And thanks to the instructors who didn't tell us!

I would say to anyone that is considering doing a skydive, but who is scared, just do it. Yes, it is the most frightening thing that you'll ever do, but it is so worth it.
  • Options
    I did a static line dive dive years ago. Exhilerating after the event but I do remember s**ting myself leading up to it. The strangest thing was that while I was on the ground I was bricking it but as soon as I got in the plane all fear went and I just couldn't wait to jump.
  • Options
    Good luck, just remember to add me to your will before you jump.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Thanks to everyone for their positive and calming comments. We jumped on Saturday PM into a beautiful blue sky. Loved it. However, it was terrifying from start to finish.

My thoughts go out to the family of the skydiver who was killed at another skydiving centre on the same afternoon. And thanks to the instructors who didn't tell us!

I would say to anyone that is considering doing a skydive, but who is scared, just do it. Yes, it is the most frightening thing that you'll ever do, but it is so worth it.

Glad you enjoyed it, jumping myself next thursday. Had to loose a stone to get under their weight limit I've done stone and a half and raised a couple of hundred quid in sponsorship so I'm well pleased. Hopefully the weather will clear up.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

fattmatt said:

Glad you enjoyed it, jumping myself next thursday. Had to loose a stone to get under their weight limit I've done stone and a half and raised a couple of hundred quid in sponsorship so I'm well pleased. Hopefully the weather will clear up.
    Hey @TCE good luck mate.....PM me when done..oh and when your coming down your more than likely lose another stone and half!!! ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hey Red, didnt you promise the welfare a bullseye if l did it?
    I'll do it just to see you break down and cry while writing the cheque out. ;)
  • Options
    Well done and glad you enjoyed it. Good to see on your just giving page that you've exceeded your target!
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Good luck to T.C.E for his jump!
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Hey Red, didnt you promise the welfare a bullseye if l did it?
    I'll do it just to see you break down and cry while writing the cheque out. ;)

Yes mate I'm good for that.....a bullseye to you for the welfare....good luck mate!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe I can fly....
    What fantastic buzz, I had a drive of the chute on the way down. Then did a couple of steep turns where we were parallel with the chute. Fecking amazing. : )image
  • Options
    @TCE well done mate...........bullseye to you, we'll arrange t meet so I can hand it over in person!! You can take a picture of me parting with 'dosh'!!!