Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mike Rose

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
A lot of you guys will not know what I am talking about as I am of the older type.We were monitoring a keeper from Tooting and for some reason at the last moment we signed the above from St.Albans.He was our first choice keeper for 63/64 and we had a good season coming 4th.The football was good and we had also brought Firmani back from Italy.Unfortunately we let in to many goals and our keeper made some awful gaffes.Anyway the guy from Tooting signed for Millwall the following season.His name was Stepney and he went on to play for Man Utd and England and was considered one of the finest in Europe.Mind you if we had gone up Gliksten would have had a clutcher if he thought he would have to put his hand in his pocket.

Comments

• Options
    I remember him!

To be fair Peter Wakeham, his predecessor, was as bad or worse as far as I remember as a young lad.
  • Options
    I think he started his career at Barnet.
  • Options
    And.....? Has he snuffed it ?
  • Options
    Blond, curly hair. I remember him well.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I remember Mike very well ... He was the McOxo of his day the crowd hated him. He would pull off the impossible and then let one slip through his legs. Ted Phillips, ex Ipswich, ex partner of Ray Crawford, supposedly the hardest shot in football, went to Leyton Orient. He slapped in a shot while with the Orient against us, with the velocity of a cannon ball through a ruck of players, the ball hit poor Mike Rose on the napper and he was ko'd cold .. them was the days.
    Mike lost confidence due to incessant crowd barracking and Wakeham came back. From the not so sublime to the ridiculous.
  • Options
    Was this before or after Charlie Wright ?
  • Options

well before .. we went thru a few before Charlie's arrival
  • Options

Ken Jones, Noel Dwyer to name but two....
  • Options
    Met him a few years back. Nice guy.

And holds a unique place in Charlton and Football League history, of course.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

indeed, I'm trying to think who else .... ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

indeed, I'm trying to think who else .... ?
    Was Tony Burns before or during?

Les Surman played a game too.
  • Options
    Got a Charlton mate here in OZ who was brought up in Charlton. He reckons Alex Stepney lived down the road to him. Looks like we let him slip through the net. Wasn't Mike Rose the guy who made way for Keith Peacock to become the first substitute used?
  • Options

Got a Charlton mate here in OZ who was brought up in Charlton. He reckons Alex Stepney lived down the road to him. Looks like we let him slip through the net. Wasn't Mike Rose the guy who made way for Keith Peacock to become the first substitute used?

Correct. Keithie came on and John Hewie went in goal.
  • Options
    I've just googled C Wright .. he came to us in 1966, I thought it was a couple of years after that .. so Wakeham, Dwyer and Burns would have covered the time from Rose to Wright ... a piece of nonsense trivia .. Noel Dwyer's daughter is / was married to the wonderful Frank Worthington. He'd have given George Best a run for his money in the playboy stakes during the 60s and 70s
  • Options
    actually, Burns was after Wright ... he's now the g/keeping coach at Millwall .. so that's why they're struggling (:>)
  • Options
    Phew! Would you believe it....?

There are actually posters on Charlton Life older than me.

........ Mike lost confidence due to incessant crowd barracking and Wakeham came back.

And confidence, of course, is everything to every player.
    You simply can't play without it.
  • Options

actually, Burns was after Wright ... he's now the g/keeping coach at Millwall .. so that's why they're struggling (:>)

Burns also played 31 games for Arsenal according to Wikipedia ,24 of them consecutive .

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Phew! Would you believe it....?

There are actually posters on Charlton Life older than me.

I started young .. anyway you're as old as you feel .. in my case 397 "!!

• Options
    Richard J said:

Burns also played 31 games for Arsenal according to Wikipedia ,24 of them consecutive .

</blockquote

I guess the 'amateur' Bob Wilson got his job at Highbury
  • Options
    one of my workmates told me Alex Stepney got an injury in his early days and was told it would stop him being a pro footballer, but Millwall took a chance on him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My old man always mentions Charlie Wright and how he used to let goals in through his legs, but I never saw the great man as I wasn;t old enough, has anyone got any stories about him? What was he like with the fans?
  • Options
    Burns could throw the ball well into the opposition half.
  • Options

My old man always mentions Charlie Wright and how he used to let goals in through his legs, but I never saw the great man as I wasn;t old enough, has anyone got any stories about him? What was he like with the fans?

Just remember Charlie being a total mental case. My brother told me that once he looked around when Charlton were attacking and saw Charlie climbing onto his own bar and trying to do handstands because he was bored.
  • Options
    he used to run a cafe a few yards from the valley ..
  • Options

I remember Mike very well ... He was the McOxo of his day the crowd hated him. He would pull off the impossible and then let one slip through his legs. Ted Phillips, ex Ipswich, ex partner of Ray Crawford, supposedly the hardest shot in football, went to Leyton Orient. He slapped in a shot while with the Orient against us, with the velocity of a cannon ball through a ruck of players, the ball hit poor Mike Rose on the napper and he was ko'd cold .. them was the days.
    Mike lost confidence due to incessant crowd barracking and Wakeham came back. From the not so sublime to the ridiculous.

I also remember him - made some brilliant acrobatic saves from shots that were going wide anyway but then inexplicably let some real soft efforts sail past him into the net.

As or Charlie Wright (or Sir Charlie Wright as we used to call him - so nothing new about the SCP monika), he was a real character. Let more than one soft shot go right through his legs. "Couldn't stop a pig in a passage" as my dear old dad used to say.
  • Options
    Charlie Wright used to chat to the crowd behind his goal and they would give him sweets. All this ended when Eddie Firmani took over as Charlton's manager.
  • Options
    Stepney became third choice England goal keeper behind Banks and Bonetti. Think he was first keeper to score a goal on Match of the Day, clearing from his area over Pat Jennings head
  • Options

Burns could throw the ball well into the opposition half.

Was about to post the same thing......he had an incredible overarm throw......I can remember us as kids trying to immitate him.....poorly!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Stepney became third choice England goal keeper behind Banks and Bonetti. Think he was first keeper to score a goal on Match of the Day, clearing from his area over Pat Jennings head

I don't recall that one but I do remember Pat Jennings scoring past Stepney in the Charity Shield in 1967. Both very good keepers. In my opinion, Jennings was the best keeper I have ever seen both for Spurs and later for Arsenal.

• Options
    Its interesting reading this thread about Mike Rose. My first game at the Valley was against Sunderland, a night match under floodlights, I think it was 1964. . Mike Rose played in goal and the team was Brian Kinsey, John Hewie, Mike Bailey, Frank Haydock, Brian Tocknell, Mike Kenning, Denis Edwards and I think Eddie Firmani was our centre forward with Mathews and Len Glover on the wing. I am sure the result waws 0-0 and we finished the season forth behind Leeds and Sunderland who were promoted. I can't remember who came third.