Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T-Mobile and Orange

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
As you may know, these 2 brands are in the middle of a merger here in the UK, under the EverythingEverywhere umbrella. I received a text from T-mobile today telling me about their new 4GEE network that is launching in 16 major cities by the end of the year. Is this going to be the first 4G network here in the UK? And will it actually work? I hope it does, I have been with the big T for 8 years now and personally haven't had any problems with calls, network or roaming, apart from the odd double sent text here and there, and I'm glad to see they are focussing on rolling this out asap instead of concentrating on getting you gig tickets and the like...

Anyone out there know any more about it?

Comments

• Options
    All I know is Southampton is going to be one of the first places to get 4G.

Other than that I ain't got a scooby.
  • Options
    You will need a new phone to use it
  • Options

And probably not be on Vodafone like me.

• Options

Is the S3 4g compatable?
  • Options
    EE has been given up to a years head start and none of the other networks are yet licensed for 4G (they are not happy about it).

I would prefer that they were made to get their 3G network providing universal coverage. Around here you are lucky to get 2G.

Here's a link to a recent article in the Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/9533852/UKs-first-4G-network-to-launch.html
  • Options
    Same old comms bullshit. Can't sell any more 3G, so get a license to sell 4G that won't work properly for months, when it does work will be hideously oversubscribed due to single-operator monopoly (remember O2 with the iPhone exclusivity?), and provide them with even less incentive to fix the hopelessly over-saturated city coverage, shit issues roaming from tower to tower and dreadful non-urban coverage that have plagued their networks for years.

Sigh. Guess who's just migrated comms providers to EE from Vodafone at work?
  • Options

Same old comms bullshit. Can't sell any more 3G, so get a license to sell 4G that won't work properly for months, when it does work will be hideously oversubscribed due to single-operator monopoly (remember O2 with the iPhone exclusivity?), and provide them with even less incentive to fix the hopelessly over-saturated city coverage, shit issues roaming from tower to tower and dreadful non-urban coverage that have plagued their networks for years.

Sigh. Guess who's just migrated comms providers to EE from Vodafone at work?

Spot on as usual LA.
  • Options
    im an 02 business and private user been with them 10 years +phones are i4s and Blackberry respectively, and the signal where we live in essex is crap at best of times. The other week I called them up and complained and they told me when at home to drop the phone down to 2g mode as it is likely there are no 3g masts near enough and they are trying to roll out 3g masts upgrades as quickly as possible!!!
    So if there are not enough mast upto 3g capability the EE 4g will have to be an entire new network of masts wont it?
  • Options
    4g isn't coming to London yet apparently
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    madadd said:

im an 02 business and private user been with them 10 years +phones are i4s and Blackberry respectively, and the signal where we live in essex is crap at best of times. The other week I called them up and complained and they told me when at home to drop the phone down to 2g mode as it is likely there are no 3g masts near enough and they are trying to roll out 3g masts upgrades as quickly as possible!!!
    So if there are not enough mast upto 3g capability the EE 4g will have to be an entire new network of masts wont it?

o2s data network is notoriously bad...im sure they were told by ofcom to fix it or be fined under their agreement when they bought the 3g spectrum.

i think ee are using the same masts but upgrading/adding new kit inside the masts - either way dont expect it to be mind blowing at first; think 3 when they first started (good when it works but when it dont....)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This "network coverage" always makes me laugh. Surely the people running the licensing process should have made it a pre-requisite that the network coverage has to be as near as 100% as is possible? They are bidding billions for the licenses so they should allocate more for the coverage costs.

The sad thing is that the license bidding processes are all about maximising value for the tax payer and not maximising the tax payers access to decent coverage.

The same thing happened with landlines and broadband. BT have been able to avoid rolling out fast broadband for years. In my area now, they are finally rolling it out but only after the County agreed to fund 3/4s of the cost.
  • Options
    Everything Everwhere is a terrible, terrible name for a company.
  • Options
    Whats "4G" ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Everything Everwhere is a terrible, terrible name for a company.

I agree.People will instinctively imagine 'Fuc*ing up' before it.

• Options

Whats "4G" ?

3G + 1!

Next rip-off generation mobiles phone service.
  • Options

Whats "4G" ?

4th generation of mobile phone signal technology. It practice it means that data will be available to stream much faster so that, for example, you will be able to download films quickly or stream them in HD.

Its the mobile phone equivalent of fibre optic broadband.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Thanks Bing. Think so.
    Now, about this F5 button......